BnS AoS League Discussion

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
195 posts Page 1 of 13 First unread post
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder

I was thinking we should create an official league for 3 man and 5 man teams. There would be official matches that would count towards your teams win/lose record. We could have leader boards so teams could see their rank. One of the hardest parts about doing something like this is coordinating matches but I think match creation could be automated. tGM worked on a gather script which would create a server on the fly for people to play AoS in IRC. We could expand on the gather script and have it verify teams and record the final score.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I really like this idea! It would be cool if I could get me,Adolphus,zani,and some other group members together and see how far we get. I just think that the team amount should be changed to a 3 man and 6man tiers.
CraftDinur
Deuced Up

this sounds cool. i'm all up for it if it kicks off.
Froelich131
Deuce

Seems like a great idea!
Tex
Deuced Up

I like this Idea. Sounds like a good idea to get the community together
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Sounds fun - who wants to be on my team? :P
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Overall I like this idea but there are some points I want to highlight to do this properly.

Ideal scenario:

To make the playing field and rankings fair, every "official match" should have configuration standards for every game mode that should be consistent with all other official matches for the same game mode. In order to ensure this, the servers that host these official matches would have to be in a controlled environment; meaning they would probably be operated exclusively by the same people who operate BuildAndShoot.com and possibly a few other people who have a reputable past.

Preventing other people from hosting their own league servers is my only gripe because that kind of exclusion is not true to the open nature that AoS has always been. But there's a key difference here that makes it mostly OK in my eyes... The servers being used for this league system would be hidden from public view and referred to only as "official league servers" or the like. They would share identical configurations and should be automated enough to never ever need any kind of assistance from any kind of admin. The players would control everything from gathering teams, to starting the matches, to playing, to winning/losing and seeing their scores published in the rankings.

I'm also a little bit concerned that players would become so engrossed with their leader board rankings that numbers/epeen might take away from some of the charm we currently associate with Ace of Spades Classic.

Some examples of configuration standards are:
  • game modes
  • maps
  • respawn time
  • map time limit
  • minimum and maximum number of players required to start a match
  • friendly fire on or off
  • fall damage on or off
tGM, are you interested in revisiting your gather script efforts to help make this become the reality you envisioned?

To server hosts and players: How do you imagine a system like this might affect you personally?
rakiru
Coder
Coder

One thing I'd like to add izzy is that there should be servers available at the very least in both Europe and North America, and the "fairest" server (in terms of latency for each player/team) should be picked for matches.
Ki11aWi11
Mapper
Mapper

I'd love to be involved in something like this! Count me in! For the configuration settings, I suggest you create a system for this gather script that allows players to have configuration votes. To elaborate, say you have a channel for the matchmaking system, for example call it #aos.matches, have it so that the IRC channel asks for people to vote, ie "type 1 for CTF, 2 for TOW, 3 for TDM, 4 for Babel". Then once the game-mode has been voted, the map is then voted upon: 1 for Normandy, 2 for classicgen" etc. Just throwing out an idea.
Kodiak
Deuced Up

mikuli, PABH, you in? ;)
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Ooooh snap.

Heck yeah! This needs to happen. Also there should be 1v1's, because convincing anyone to join my team would never work :P
danhezee

We can have intel and cp locations fixed, instead of the server randomly picking the locations. Would you guys be for or against this?
rakiru
Coder
Coder

danhezee wrote:
We can have intel and cp locations fixed, instead of the server randomly picking the locations. Would you guys be for or against this?
For, definitely. I know how much this can sway the game.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

danhezee wrote:
I would say it doesn't really matter.
L33TUCE
Deuce

Could we limit the SMG to like 1 per team? If so i could get a few of my friends to play, although none of them are very good.
195 posts Page 1 of 13 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”