VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 2 of 67 First unread post
learn_more
Coder
Coder

you did not even give something to compile.

and why not just port the code to gcc?
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

LeCom wrote:
I want to create a fully working .75/.76 client first, and then extend it.
That's like the definition of OpenSpades.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
You seem not to get what I wrote. I FIRST make it a .75 client, to get some players, THEN add new stuff and make a new game out of it. The current AoS protocol will just be a base for it.
Skip the first part, move straight on to the making a new game part.
LeCom

learn_more wrote:
you did not even give something to compile.
http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap/voxlap_src.zip (Not that hard to find, that's why I didn't add a link at first)
learn_more wrote:
and why not just port the code to gcc?
Because like half of the whole library is written in assembler, using MSVC. That means, it is written using Intel syntax, while GCC only supports AT&T syntax. When porting a small piece of code from to a format that is copatible with GCC and using -masm=intel (parameter for switching to Intel syntax), it complained about many invalid data types. After "fixing" it (with my limited knowledge of assembler), the code segfaulted because of data not properly being set.
1Shot1Kill wrote:
LeCom wrote:
You seem not to get what I wrote. I FIRST make it a .75 client, to get some players, THEN add new stuff and make a new game out of it. The current AoS protocol will just be a base for it.
Skip the first part, move straight on to the making a new game part.
Did I ask you for your opinion? No, I didn't. So please either contribute something useful, or fuck off.
Thank you.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
Did I ask you for your opinion? No, I didn't. So please either contribute something useful, or fuck off.
Thank you.
I'm helping you, you would just be wasting your time making the game compatible with .75/.76. By the look of your game in your video, for those people who want a different client, do you really think they're all going to transition from OpenSpades to this? That's why if you decide to go on in your direction, your game is most likely going to fail.

What I'm saying is there's already a good enough custom client (OpenSpades), why not just make a whole new game instead?
LeCom

A third time, I'm saying, that adding support for .75 is just a small part of it that will consume very few time. Actually the support for .75 is mostly already implemented, just need to add physics. But if I have success making a full client out of this, I will start adding new stuff, and this way, it will evolve into a new game. Also, please don't forget that openspades is just an alternate client, the current main client is still the classic one.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
A third time, I'm saying, that adding support for .75 is just a small part of it that will consume very few time. Actually the support for .75 is mostly already implemented, just need to add physics. But if I have success making a full client out of this, I will start adding new stuff, and this way, it will evolve into a new game. Also, please don't forget that openspades is just an alternate client, the current main client is still the classic one.
And you're making your game to be an alternative client as well, unless your alternative client is so mind-blowing not very much people will take interest in yours.
LeCom

You still don't get it. When it's ready, it will stay an alternative client for a very short time span, maybe 2 weeks, so people can download and try it. Then I am going to start adding stuff. So who cares about that short period?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I like the idea. And I think it is good to start with AOS then build off of it. (literally) Because as much as I love OS, I can't run big maps or populated servers. D: (I have a laptop windows 7, bought in 2011)
LeCom

bloodfox wrote:
I like the idea. And I think it is good to start with AOS then build off of it. (literally) Because as much as I love OS, I can't run big maps or populated servers. D: (I have a laptop windows 7, bought in 2011)
Do you mean that without openspades, you can run them, but when you start openspades, you get problems?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
Do you mean that without openspades, you can run them, but when you start openspades, you get problems?
Yes. I can run pinpoint maps fine but I don't like pinpoint. D:
LeCom

Lack of RAM I guess. On some PCs, openspades+software renderer needs more than 1 GB of RAM (although 200 MB RAM are a lot more than enough for an AoS client).
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

LeCom wrote:
Lack of RAM I guess. On some PCs, openspades+software renderer needs more than 1 GB of RAM (although 200 MB RAM are a lot more than enough for an AoS client).
I wonder what I could do to so that I could play on populated and big maps/servers. Because I love OS.
LeCom

bloodfox wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I wonder what I could do to so that I could play on populated and big maps/servers.
That's one of the shitty parts of os: nothing. You could try playing around with settings, but it won't change much (unlike Voxlap). Also, if you don't mind, I would like to not talk about openspades anymore in this topic.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I wonder what I could do to so that I could play on populated and big maps/servers.
That's one of the shitty parts of os: nothing. You could try playing around with settings, but it won't change much (unlike Voxlap). Also, if you don't mind, I would like to not talk about openspades anymore in this topic.
Yeah. Well I don't mind at all to not talk about OS. So are you already starting this project? If so, contact me because I would like to know all about your progress. :D
1001 posts Page 2 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”