VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 1 of 67 First unread post
LeCom

VoxelWar

VXW_Icon_Stretched.png
VXW_Icon_Stretched.png (31.88 KiB) Viewed 68053 times

VoxelWar consists of a client and a modification for PySnip. It plays differently than openspades. For example, the scoping system is a bit different: it's harder to aim, so it's more difficult to hit somebody at fog range or to headshot someone. This results in less headshot spam, which makes the game much more fun. For graphics I use an improved version of Voxlap, whose main advantage is that it runs pretty smooth.
Walk.png
Walk.png (159.14 KiB) Viewed 69078 times
64_Players2.png
64_Players2.png (264.7 KiB) Viewed 68424 times
Biggest changes:
-Fully different weapon behaviour and balanced weapons
-Smooth gun models, as you see in the screenshot above
-Voxlap tilting also known as "Drunken camera", and different scoping
-A maximum of 64 players (can be increased later)
-Mortars
-Binoculars for mortars
-Stationary HMGs
-Airstrikes aren't improvised grenades dropping from the sky anymore. Now there are actual bombers dropping bombs.
Airstrike.png
Airstrike.png (49.29 KiB) Viewed 68424 times
Smaller changes:
-Endless
Mortar.png
Mortar.png (93.16 KiB) Viewed 69079 times
HMG.png
HMG.png (131.4 KiB) Viewed 69079 times
I've done the testing and shit, the only thing left for you is to download it, get on the server, play and have fun!
So what are you waiting for?

Blue_Spade Blue_Rifle Blue_Pistol [Intel] Green_Pistol2 Green_Rifle Green_Spade

Current status:
shaz's server: ONLINE
Most recent VoxelWar version is 0.0.5
Most recent changes: Menus, small improvements to the game

How to play: Unpack the .zip file, open "START_VOXELWAR.exe", click on start, press p and 1 or 2 at the same time and you're ready to play (read the instructions for more information).

If you want to link to a VXW page to advertise it, please link to http://supercoolnerds.com/vxw/ instead of this thread. It looks better, is more suitable as an overview and doesn't have any replies/discussions following it.

Official VXW IRC channel: Obviously #VXW

Official VoxelWar forums

Some VXW videos made by Frocs:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WeVRjMiA3p

Maps are classicgen by Tom Dobrowolski and Aquila+Arab by Dany0
Last edited by LeCom on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 109 times in total.
Xpert658
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

First: OpenSpades is really good. It has a server list built in, lots of id tech, Gold/Source style customizability, and it's got better graphics.

Second: I am not sure where this is going... I'll lurk around for a bit.
_Frocs_
League Participant
League Participant

It looks interesting

But wouldn't it be possible to create a whole new standalone voxlap-shooter and update it instead of creating clients for 0.75 and 0.76?
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Xpert658 wrote:
First: OpenSpades is really good. It has a server list built in, lots of id tech, Gold/Source style customizability, and it's got better graphics.

Second: I am not sure where this is going... I'll lurk around for a bit.
^^^

You should just make a whole new game, there are already decent custom clients.
LeCom

Xpert658 wrote:
Concerning graphics, Voxlap's graphics style was just a part of AoS and of its feeling. A server list browser shouldn't be too hard to add, so it doesn't matter that much. Not sure what you want to tell with the other things, but they should be possible to add as well.
1Shot1Kill wrote:
You should just make a whole new game, there are already decent custom clients.
Openspades just needs too many ressources; even on a good modern PC, the frame rate is a lot worse than on the normal AoS for example. Its system requirements are just way too high for pushing.

I'm not going to create a fully new game, look at Iceball. I want to create a fully working .75/.76 client first, and then extend it.
Last edited by LeCom on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
Openspades just needs too many ressources; even on a good modern PC, the frame rate is a lot worse than on the normal AoS. Its system requirements are just way too high for pushing.

I'm not going to create a fully new game, look at Iceball. I want to create a fully working .75/.76 client first, and then extend it.
OpenSpades runs pretty well on modern computers (my laptop which is about 5 years old which struggles with Minecraft can run OpenSpades relatively smoothly with the lowest settings, which still looks pretty nice), true it doesn't run on very old systems the way that AoS voxlap does, but most people have decent enough computers that aren't as old as a dinosaur.

There's no point making another client for .75/.76 when there's a very good and established one out already. Iceball was a pretty decent game (great graphics, could run on some computers with integrated graphics well, gameplay of the older versions of AoS 0.x) that only failed because of lack of advertising (Build & Shoot is the only place that this game was advertised).

This client would probably fail, unless it is so good that it looks better than OpenSpades (which would be a pretty difficult feat).
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

I also think OpenSpades has enough potential.
LeCom

Well, firstly, there are certainly still a lot of people whose PCs can't run openspades. Secondly, graphics quality doesn't fucking make a difference between a fail and a success. So please stop annoying me with your openspades stuff, just because you're supporting it. I made this thread to ask people for help, not for having another flamewar between openspades and voxlap supporters. If this is going to fail, then only because I can't continue developing it for the reason mentioned in the first post, but definitely not because of competition by openspades.
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

You said OpenSpades is a "poor client". You should expect some people complaining.
LeCom

Can we get back to topic now?
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

tungdil wrote:
You said OpenSpades is a "poor client". You should expect some people complaining.
This, you're pretty much just bashing on OpenSpades and saying it's a POS, when really that is far from the truth.
LeCom wrote:
Alright. Like I said, you should just make a new standalone game with it's own mechanics. I see no harm in doing that, it would be more successful than making another client for AoS 0.x, people would be too busy using OpenSpades for that.
LeCom

1Shot1Kill wrote:
tungdil wrote:
This, you're pretty much just bashing on OpenSpades and saying it's a POS, when really that is far from the truth.
I'm just annoyed of discussing that crap, so let's just skip this.
1Shot1Kill wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Alright. Like I said, you should just make a new standalone game with it's own mechanics. I see no harm in doing that, it would be more successful than making another client for AoS 0.x, people would be too busy using OpenSpades for that.
You seem not to get what I wrote. I FIRST make it a .75 client, to get some players, THEN add new stuff and make a new game out of it. The current AoS protocol will just be a base for it.

But as mentioned above, I can't continue with developing it, because of a problem, so I'm asking for help here.
IceCream
Hoster
Hoster

Hey 1Shot1Kill. OpenSpades sucks. Just like you.

;)
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

IceCream wrote:
Hey 1Shot1Kill. OpenSpades sucks. Just like you.

;)
Hey IceCream. This post sucks. Just like you.
;)
IceCream wrote:
(Fuck off Openspades)
What do you have against OpenSpades? Did it kill your best friend?
IceCream
Hoster
Hoster

Yes, it killed my best friend.
1001 posts Page 1 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”