VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 65 of 67 First unread post
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

I mentioned earlier in this thread that beamtracing was worth trying.

I've tried it and it's definitely worth at least doing a low-res depth-only pass at 1/4 scale. Seems that building up a whole beamtree isn't really worth it, but that 1/4 scale is REALLY, REALLY worth it. However, you will need to pull back a sufficient amount of the way so you don't end up clipping through the geometry.

Just be warned, some small weird-shaped stuff in the distance can disappear and/or flicker.
LeCom

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
I mentioned earlier in this thread that beamtracing was worth trying.

I've tried it and it's definitely worth at least doing a low-res depth-only pass at 1/4 scale. Seems that building up a whole beamtree isn't really worth it, but that 1/4 scale is REALLY, REALLY worth it. However, you will need to pull back a sufficient amount of the way so you don't end up clipping through the geometry.

Just be warned, some small weird-shaped stuff in the distance can disappear and/or flicker.
low-res and not complete? So basically not better than what I had with raytracing SVOs? Aw shit. I haven't even figured out the details of the algorithm, and you're telling me it's not the big killer. I'll try it anyways, maybe there's some other improvement I can throw in.
Fluffeh Panda
Deuced Up

Same modding as Openspades? Not to be rude but the guns look pretty bad, I would like to try to re-model them
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

This project is, sadly, dead.
Weapons and graphics indeed look awful... But this game has it's own touch. I don't agree with all the features that are in there, but this game definitely is something Ace Of Spades should move towards.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

just wait for pnd3d to come out and it would look a hell lot better...

Unfortunately, it's abandoned.

http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap/pnd3d.htm

I seriously love this game, it's great but hell starting it when BnS was on it's fall was a bad idea
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

We shall make BnS rise from the ashes.

Well if not, I'll be playing IL-2 1946 on i7
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

oh yeah I totally want BnS rise from the ashes but it's hard to see people who are willing to contribute and there's always that same fucking annoying dumbass question.

"How?"
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

"How?"
You play the game. You see something that can be improved. You try to improve it.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

and then people don't see it and it fucking dies quickly
longbyte1
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
"How?"
Well, you'd make something like World War Spades, which I wish I had time to work on except that school is killing me + a friend wants me to make a Game Boy emulator with him. Don't worry, it'll be made eventually Blue_Septic

In essence, the whole point of trying to replicate Ace of Spades's graphics is invalidated because most of the community's left and nobody plays Iceball, which hey was a pretty sizeable project. Instead people are more interested in OS because it has cool shaders and reminds people of Battlefield or Cowadoody.

Sooo you're better off making a whole new voxel FPS, with the same fundamental gameplay, but with features that a "modern" engine would allow for, like dynamic/moving blocks, serverside scripting, etc.

In short, Iceball as a project succeeded in making a solid engine reminiscent of Voxlap, but failed because it was not made 100% compatible with AoS (or so I read) due to developer stubbornness against adding the SMG. Conversely, VoxelWar failed as a project due to lack of time and collaboration, but it succeeded in being decently (not 100% either) compatible with 0.75. However, OS succeeded in both compatibility and project management.

People like me are willing and capable to contribute, but do they simply have the time to keep a constant effort, across timezones and schedules?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

make WWS first, then that emulator. A community is dying dammit xP

what I would see could work is if we made slow progress over time, letting players of AoS adapt to the client. Advertise the client on aloha servers (loads of people would see it). (At this point of time, I'm picturing the client would be a bit like BoS. Exact same type of game except with OpenGL and still a fucking horrible computer like mine can run 100 fps on that, no joke.) Then slowly but surely turn it away from 0.75 whilst building up a strong community. Slowly implement new things in that game and let the player base get settled with the idea. Then slowly grow the game itself.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

longbyte1 wrote:
In essence, the whole point of trying to replicate Ace of Spades's graphics is invalidated because most of the community's left and nobody plays Iceball, which hey was a pretty sizeable project. Instead people are more interested in OS because it has cool shaders and reminds people of Battlefield or Cowadoody.
AoS graphics are good. Sure they could be improved here and there a tiny bit, but they are good.
Shaders can s*** a d***. Maybe not all of them, but I wouldn't like people playing this game because it's eyecandy. What matters is gameplay. By the way, when increasing model detail, bounded cube models look way better, while OpenGL might even look worse.
longbyte1 wrote:
Sooo you're better off making a whole new voxel FPS, with the same fundamental gameplay, but with features that a "modern" engine would allow for, like dynamic/moving blocks, serverside scripting, etc.
Moving blocks? No, we need to keep map code simple. But instead, there could be collide-able models (and, of course, you could move them with scripts - way easier than moving a map block).
Serverside scripting? Why do we need serverside scripting when we already have serverside scripting, unless you are talking about Iceball's serverside scripting, then yes, would be cool.
longbyte1 wrote:
In short, Iceball as a project succeeded in making a solid engine reminiscent of Voxlap, but failed because it was not made 100% compatible with AoS (or so I read) due to developer stubbornness against adding the SMG. Conversely, VoxelWar failed as a project due to lack of time and collaboration, but it succeeded in being decently (not 100% either) compatible with 0.75. However, OS succeeded in both compatibility and project management.
Iceball / VXW didn't aim to be compatible with 0.75
Best case scenario would be merging IB and OS code, while gameplay-wise staying close to VXW.
longbyte1 wrote:
People like me are willing and capable to contribute, but do they simply have the time to keep a constant effort, across timezones and schedules?
What timezones/shedules are you talking about? If you want to contribute, you can do it at any time and then simply commit changes to github, both OS and IB should have theirs.
Plus, if you are willing/capable, take a look into OS SoftWare rendering code and try to make it a lot faster. When OS SW is fast enough, we will be able to talk about full transition to OS. Right now some people can't play OS so they stay with AoS, and if you force transition to OS without fixing SW, you are splitting and killing community.
LeCom

Tbh OS isn't so good as a base. It's terribly bloated (its sole release -O3 binary is already half the size of the Dwarf Fortress or Cataclysm DDA ones '-') and sometimes seems to be not so well-programmed. I could write a new and NEAT remake in probably like less than a month, but it makes no sense without a proper renderer. VXW had several reasons why it was so fucked up, mainly caused by lack of any planning and Voxlap being a huge mess. I do have some progress with my voxel rendering experiments, but I'm not close enough to Voxlap.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well then we are waiting for your progress with voxels. Plus, I'd love to see how you'd clean up / optimize OS code.
And in the meantime, I'll try to add some ideas, fix up netcode etc...
longbyte1
Deuced Up

All right, well I have a big weeklong break coming up, hope family doesn't come and take away all my time bit by bit. Blue_Wink1 WWS needs work from all sides. That's game + net + sound + rendering I have to deal with. Probably 3-5k lines before anything useful comes out of it.
1001 posts Page 65 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”