VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 37 of 67 First unread post
Kyzaca
Deuced Up

Make it so the walking up the block movement is as smooth as walking down. Right now, it's instantaneous and shit. Practice walking up and down one black for deeper knowledge and education of what I'm talking about.
LeCom

Kyzaca wrote:
Make it so the walking up the block movement is as smooth as walking down. Right now, it's instantaneous and shit. Practice walking up and down one black for deeper knowledge and education of what I'm talking about.
Veterans say autoclimb is shit. So forget auto-descent.
GamingFTW
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

This is something I can get behind, not open spades.. terrible program.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

wait, are you saying Openspades is a terrible program? Or is Voxelwar a terrible program?
GamingFTW
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

bloodfox wrote:
wait, are you saying Openspades is a terrible program? Or is Voxelwar a terrible program?
I should have probably defined my statement more instead of waiting for someone (like you) to reply to my obscene comment.

They are both great programs overwall but do have some flaws, of course.
While I actually could NOT open VoxelWar because of a corrupted file I have played openspades.
It looks good...., Call me old school but sometimes having WAY too much graphics is terrible. Of course you can turn it though..

Another thing about open spades is the main DEFYING game mechanics were not handled right, ie guns.
Sure you have a realistic looking iron sight, but it blocks the shit out of EVERYTHING. The reload firing speed for guns is dramatically different from the actual game openspades is trying to fix by throwing graphics at it.
The rifle is slower than brain dead tortoise, and the SMG is faster than a kid that is so hyped up he could jump and fly to the moon.
The rifle not overpowered as it should be.., of course smg is over powered, not much to do there, and shotgun is eh.

I do like the way openspades is handled, but I don't think "buildandshoot" should be promoting that thing like free cotton candy.

Sorry if this portrayed me as an arrogant asshole. I am really a nice guy, and please if I am wrong in anyway please correct me.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

GamingFTW wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
I should have probably defined my statement more instead of waiting for someone (like you) to reply to my obscene comment.

They are both great programs overwall but do have some flaws, of course.
While I actually could NOT open VoxelWar because of a corrupted file I have played openspades.
Just click it several times
If not, click the client thing first, then the connect to server thing.
It looks good...., Call me old school but sometimes having WAY too much graphics is terrible. Of course you can turn it though..
I am an old school gamer too. :)
Another thing about open spades is the main DEFYING game mechanics were not handled right, ie guns.
Sure you have a realistic looking iron sight, but it blocks the shit out of EVERYTHING. The reload firing speed for guns is dramatically different from the actual game openspades is trying to fix by throwing graphics at it.
The rifle is slower than brain dead tortoise, and the SMG is faster than a kid that is so hyped up he could jump and fly to the moon.
The rifle not overpowered as it should be.., of course smg is over powered, not much to do there, and shotgun is eh.

I do like the way openspades is handled, but I don't think "buildandshoot" should be promoting that thing like free cotton candy.

Sorry if this portrayed me as an arrogant asshole. I am really a nice guy, and please if I am wrong in anyway please correct me.
LeCom

Firstly, it would be a good thing to describe your problem running VXW more precisely. Especially the contents of the log.txt are important. As I already said, I have used VXW on many PCs, and when the known bugs were all fixed, it didn't crash a single time. It even ran fine on a Win 8 PC, even though it really likes to do problems.

Secondly, you should probably consider that openspades is 1. an exact AoS clone in terms of gameplay and weapon balancing, and 2. its destiny is mainly eye-candy. If it wasn't the case, yvt certainly would have done something - especially after a year of development.

Ok, so I have remapped anything related to using weapons to the E key, and carrying stuff to the F key. Quality keys were remapped to k and l, the scoping thingy will be rebalanced. Any other keys you find misplaced or any other thing that makes VXW unplayable? I really want to move towards the match now.
GamingFTW
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Never mind, I fixed it, stupid me forgot to change deuce to my actual name duh..
LeCom

Update 0.0.2:

-some tinkering with Voxlap might have improved framerate a bit
-mortars show the last shot
-MG was improved
-moddable GUI
-remapped some keys (quality is k and l)
-no wierd key combinations anymore: remapped carrying to f, using any object is remapped to e
-aiming was rebalanced
-probably fixed the chat bug that makes VXW crash after writing long chat lines
-you can set a different KV6 density for each gun, instead of one for all guns

It's probably not related to VXW itself, but I added a new gamemode to the server: PYGMY FORTRESS (inspired by Morphman's idea). It's basically like infiltration with bots sitting around in a castle and tearing any incoming enemy into pieces. I hope this makes single player less boring, but it is still fun in multiplayer mode.
The map was also changed to Assault2. Classicgen is masterrace and best map, but after playing it for such a long time, it just gets boring, no matter how good it is.
Last edited by LeCom on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Excellent, will get download in as soon as my SSD is sorted :D
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

0.0.2 is constantly throwing this error at me:
Code: Select all
Initializing the program...
Initializing SDL...
initvoxlap() returned 0
Initializing ENet...
Connecting...
Error in enet_host_service
Program closed
Press any key...
any help?
LeCom

I know this error. It's annoying as fuck and related to the internet. I had one VoxelWar file once instantly throwing this error while an exact copy somewhere else on the same PC worked without doing errors. Maybe a restart could help? No idea. But AFAIK this error disappears on its own after some time.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

nope, still same error.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

What program do you use to generate the font? :)
Evergreen
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
Openspades just needs too many ressources; even on a good modern PC, the frame rate is a lot worse than on the normal AoS for example. Its system requirements are just way too high for pushing.
I have a decent laptop, not intended for gaming. I get 40+ frames on OS on low settings and it's still far better visually. I opened up this client on default and got a visually confusing, difficult to operate, unattractive and generally bad feeling game on 13 frames a second.

I could set all the settings on low, but it doesn't look good. Not after using OpenSpades. When OpenSpades performs better than this, what's the point in sacrificing quality?

The different feel?

The game tilts way too much, it doesn't feel natural at all. Instead, it makes me feel sick trying to play it. The mouse movements are way too fast, and rather than steady when aiming the game punishes you for it by throwing your mouse even faster away from the target. This feels like when old game developers would make games impossible to control rather than focus on gameplay to make the games longer. Rather than make a game that feels realistic, you just turned the mouse speed way up and made it tilt a bunch.

I hope you don't think I'm being too critical of it, it's got potential. I hope you can use this feedback to improve the client.
1001 posts Page 37 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”