VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 26 of 67 First unread post
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

I presume that these features (Sound etc) that you are talking about above are in the upcoming release? (0.0.0.4 I presume)

The planes should be really cool, you are a really responsive and good at asking questions/solving issues. Green_BigSmile (Can we get it in Full HD pretty please?)

My one criticism on playing is that as I said, and I saw others say in-game, that the drunken camera is too extreme and makes snap aiming uneccessarily hard for me.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

LeCom wrote:
_Frocs_ wrote:
LeCom wrote:
@Frocs: Did you mean something like this:
Spoiler:
Yes that's exactly what I ment. In my opinion this would be enough for the scoping and I think it's also easier for modders to not have to create png sights or sth additional.

@bloodfox: He said it would come in the next version. ("Will come in the next version (along with additional scope KV6 I think)")
Warp wrote:
All this stuff of tanks and planes are cool, but can't we let LeCom actually fix the bugs/get sound in/get scopes etc, which will make it a much more playable game, then add all these features?
There are very few *real* bugs in VXW, they mainly exist in the bug list because it is possible that they could appear, but I'm actually not even sure if they still exist.
I did an experiment with KV6 scopes and it worked pretty shitty. I had really big problems with aligning it, and it would be extremely difficult for modders to adjust it etc so I decided to not add them at the moment, especially since it's actually ok to aim with the low resolution scopes. Though, I fixed the problem that Frocs mentioned (it's not enabled by default, but you can adjust it in the mod.ini). I might add a PNG scope, but I'm not sure yet how it would be the best (fullscreen like in AoS or attached to the gun and rendered in 3D; balance awesomeness and speed). The game is already now pretty playable (especially with the movable artillery in the next update).
Sound is added; the sounds themselves are shitty, but the sound engine seems pretty fine. They will come with the next update.
I'm currently starting the plane code, tho' it's a big project. I think it's unconvenient to discuss the slowdown of plane KV6 until I really benchmark it; I did say it CAN make VXW slower, but it doesn't have to.
Can't wait for sounds!!! :D Hm, I must say though, this whole plane idea will bring VXW to the next level. It would surely be impressive! Keep your good work up! :D
LeCom

VoxelWar 0.0.0.4 update:
  • The .bmp files, KV6 and sound files are all in one folder, so you can make mod packs and switch between them by using the config.ini
  • Sounds
  • You can move artillery (mortars and MGs) around
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Hey Lecom,

I am having issues with trying to change the splash.bmp. When I change it, it says that it is invalid and will use a "dummy" And yes, I have made sure that it is in the .bmp format
LeCom

Well, VXW automatically resizes the splash to the current screen/window size, no matter how big the screen or the splash are. Changing any colours won't fuck up a .bmp file either. Even if you save it as a 4-bit of 8-bit .bmp, it will still consider it a valid BMP file. Check if paint can open it and make sure you save it as 24-bit .bmp file. If it doesn't work, maybe send me the picture somehow and I will check why it won't load it.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I played this a bit and had some issues with lag. I don't know if it's because my not so fast pc. It happened that my FPS suddenly dropped for seemingly no reason, I was just walking around and i got stuck on one place, like i couldn't cross the border of a single block. Maybe the blocks are rendering when moving forward, so it froze because new blocks were loading or idk.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Dare[AoS] wrote:
I played this a bit and had some issues with lag. I don't know if it's because my not so fast pc. It happened that my FPS suddenly dropped for seemingly no reason, I was just walking around and i got stuck on one place, like i couldn't cross the border of a single block. Maybe the blocks are rendering when moving forward, so it froze because new blocks were loading or idk.
It is server Lag. Right now, they can't do much about it...
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Mr.Torch wrote:
Even better don't have airstrikes. Let actual people get into planes and fly them around and bomb sites that players designate as bomb zones. They wouldn't be able to destroy blocks that aren't in the bomb zones (that foot soldiers/commander would designate), so they wouldn't be able to grief.
They can have the same amount of detail as the weapons and still look nice. And as long as everyone knows the green thing flying over you dropping explody things is a plane all will be good.
LeCom

Ugh I think I am skipping posts without seeing them...
Mr.Torch wrote:
Mr.Torch wrote:
Even better don't have airstrikes. Let actual people get into planes and fly them around and bomb sites that players designate as bomb zones. They wouldn't be able to destroy blocks that aren't in the bomb zones (that foot soldiers/commander would designate), so they wouldn't be able to grief.
They can have the same amount of detail as the weapons and still look nice. And as long as everyone knows the green thing flying over you dropping explody things is a plane all will be good.
Player-controlled planes would make it too BF-like; just because it sounds so awesome the game would only be about getting those airstrikes and flying planes. I had a WW2 AoS server and this was exactly the case with tanks xd
I imagined it like regular airstrikes, but with better precision, like a point on the map, and several badass B29 fly there and drop their bombs at this point; I will try to put some more realism into where the bombs would land. I could think of some control over the airstrike as well, so you would be able to change the bombing area while it goes.
If airstrikes work, I can add parachute squads, and maybe some anti-air weapons
I'm also moving VXW towards events - I want to make a match to spread the word and to see how VXW is with a lot of players
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

@Lecom- If you are doing planes as you described above, (which seems a good solution), could be have a "gunner view" à la BF4's AC130 or Bomber- you wouldn't be able to fly the aeroplane, just direct fire. You'd have to be careful note to make it OP though. (This wouldn't fit in with the WW2 theme though)
Spoiler:
I like the way you have implemented the mods- I wish that other games *ahem OpenSpades* implemented them this way. Will this method stay the same throughout the game, or can we expect it to change?
LeCom

Warp wrote:
@Lecom- If you are doing planes as you described above, (which seems a good solution), could be have a "gunner view" à la BF4's AC130 or Bomber- you wouldn't be able to fly the aeroplane, just direct fire. You'd have to be careful note to make it OP though. (This wouldn't fit in with the WW2 theme though)
Spoiler:
I don't mind a plane view, but there won't be much sense in implementing a gun, since you won't hit anything on the ground from a flying plane.
Warp wrote:
I like the way you have implemented the mods- I wish that other games *ahem OpenSpades* implemented them this way. Will this method stay the same throughout the game, or can we expect it to change?
There might be new kinds of files or more directories, sometimes small changes while adding new stuff. But in general, it will mainly stay like this.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Maybe some kind of equipable Laser Designator? (Again, doesn't fit with the theme, but whatever)

This means that one teams scouts could designate a particular bunker or whatever, and destroy it- could be interesting.

(ps. Please turn down the Drunken camera... Green_Happy1 )
LeCom

Warp wrote:
Maybe some kind of equipable Laser Designator? (Again, doesn't fit with the theme, but whatever)

This means that one teams scouts could designate a particular bunker or whatever, and destroy it- could be interesting.

(ps. Please turn down the Drunken camera... Green_Happy1 )
Flares or some similar marker, yeah (would also be useful for marking stuff for people). I don't know why you have problems with the drunk cam tho'
_Frocs_
League Participant
League Participant

The drunk cam is good. Though when aiming the drunkenness should change a bit to being a bit lower.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I disagree. I like the way the drunken cam is right now. And I don't really want it to change
1001 posts Page 26 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”