VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 25 of 67 First unread post
LeCom

Warp wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Warp wrote:
I would like an RPG. Before I get yelled at, I mean and anti-Armour/anti-fortification, nothing like the ones in 1.0

You would be able to carry 1-2, like Insurgency. (FYI, in WW2 there were RPG's like the PIAT and Panzerfaust), and no other explosives like grenades. I think that they should do between 1.4-1.7x the damage of a grenade, with a quite a lot longer range than a grenade. It should be used to destroy Pillboxes etc, and to take out the HMG enplacements.

I hope that this means that this wouldn't be OP as long as there is a long load time, so you have to pull it out, slide it in, then fire.
Heh, the classic RPG suggestion. Well, the anti-fortification part is fulfilled by sapper squads (maybe explosives later), and we don't have armoured vehicles yet, so it would be pretty pointless right now.
Sapper squads? Sounds interesting. Say more...
Nothing new - you just form up a small group of players with SMG and sap enemy stuff.

@Frocs: OpenGL competition - I don't even want to give them a small chance ;)
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Hell, at this stage, just a basic cross will do for the bomber. It should be pretty high, no?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

My, gosh, 12 hours of sleep is what I get and Look at what has been discussed! I love that idea of the upfront scopes Lecom! Can't wait to see that in the next version! I shall take my time right now to say that it is really awesome how you are able to make a game for your pleasure and our pleasure. Thanks man! :D
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I'm definitely gonna play this game.. pretty nice project. I like the drunk cam implementation.
LeCom wrote:
we don't have armoured vehicles yet,
This would be something that would bring the game to the next level.
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

If they implement armoured vehicles then my life will be complete.
LeCom

Stuff like that has to be planned and thought out very carefully. Armoured vehicles can fuck up a game as much as improve it.
What comes at first to my mind are planes, it's pretty safe to add them to the game (if we don't consider low FPS because of huge KV6). It's possible to make airstrikes with plane KV6, and parasquads, where all players jump out of a plane at the front.
Land vehicles would probably not be a great idea, since we have a voxel terrain. I used to have a WW2 server up with tanks on it, and it's pretty wierd to drive a tank on rough voxel terrain.
I'm not sure about water vehicles. I haven't thought much of boats; I think it would be pretty epic to have something like an ironclad moving around, but there might be problems with the water being different on each map. Firstly, boats need a proper area to spawn on which might not be available on every team's side; secondly, it would be pretty wierd to have a boat in a lake that is barely big enough for the boat as an example, and especially strange to have an empty river just next to that lake :P . Tho' I think it's possible to write code that would make it work properly or spawn the boats by using map metadata.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

maybe small boats like rhibs or yea an LCVP
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Even better don't have airstrikes. Let actual people get into planes and fly them around and bomb sites that players designate as bomb zones. They wouldn't be able to destroy blocks that aren't in the bomb zones (that foot soldiers/commander would designate), so they wouldn't be able to grief.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Mr.Torch wrote:
Even better don't have airstrikes. Let actual people get into planes and fly them around and bomb sites that players designate as bomb zones. They wouldn't be able to destroy blocks that aren't in the bomb zones (that foot soldiers/commander would designate), so they wouldn't be able to grief.
The issue with that is lag because of how flipping huge the kv6 models will be :/

@Lecom, do you know when you will release that kv6 scoping thing?
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Armored vehicles... Would be sensible if maps were as big as Battlefield 1942. And some sort of tool to flatten chunks of blocks, paving the road kinda thing. The latter is obviously way too game-breaking.. You would need to code roads in classic gen. Also, these vehicles shouldn't climb more than 1 block at a time.
To be honest, I'm not really on to vehicles, but if you do LeCom, a tank equipped with LMG and bicycles will do, for vehicles. Planes? Just AI controlled bombers for now, and for the sake of performance, because bombers are supposed to be very high up from the ground, a matchstick plane will do for the model.
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
Stuff like that has to be planned and thought out very carefully. Armoured vehicles can fuck up a game as much as improve it.
What comes at first to my mind are planes, it's pretty safe to add them to the game (if we don't consider low FPS because of huge KV6). It's possible to make airstrikes with plane KV6, and parasquads, where all players jump out of a plane at the front.
Land vehicles would probably not be a great idea, since we have a voxel terrain. I used to have a WW2 server up with tanks on it, and it's pretty wierd to drive a tank on rough voxel terrain.
I'm not sure about water vehicles. I haven't thought much of boats; I think it would be pretty epic to have something like an ironclad moving around, but there might be problems with the water being different on each map. Firstly, boats need a proper area to spawn on which might not be available on every team's side; secondly, it would be pretty wierd to have a boat in a lake that is barely big enough for the boat as an example, and especially strange to have an empty river just next to that lake :P . Tho' I think it's possible to write code that would make it work properly or spawn the boats by using map metadata.
I think a few fighter planes wont be TOO laggy
It's really just cargo planes that are the problem
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

If we do need to fly some planes, why not adjust their scale to be equal to regular blocks? Every voxel=a block in the terrain. Ugly, but cheap.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

All this stuff of tanks and planes are cool, but can't we let LeCom actually fix the bugs/get sound in/get scopes etc, which will make it a much more playable game, then add all these features?
_Frocs_
League Participant
League Participant

LeCom wrote:
@Frocs: Did you mean something like this:
Spoiler:
Yes that's exactly what I ment. In my opinion this would be enough for the scoping and I think it's also easier for modders to not have to create png sights or sth additional.

@bloodfox: He said it would come in the next version. ("Will come in the next version (along with additional scope KV6 I think)")
LeCom

_Frocs_ wrote:
LeCom wrote:
@Frocs: Did you mean something like this:
Spoiler:
Yes that's exactly what I ment. In my opinion this would be enough for the scoping and I think it's also easier for modders to not have to create png sights or sth additional.

@bloodfox: He said it would come in the next version. ("Will come in the next version (along with additional scope KV6 I think)")
Warp wrote:
All this stuff of tanks and planes are cool, but can't we let LeCom actually fix the bugs/get sound in/get scopes etc, which will make it a much more playable game, then add all these features?
There are very few *real* bugs in VXW, they mainly exist in the bug list because it is possible that they could appear, but I'm actually not even sure if they still exist.
I did an experiment with KV6 scopes and it worked pretty shitty. I had really big problems with aligning it, and it would be extremely difficult for modders to adjust it etc so I decided to not add them at the moment, especially since it's actually ok to aim with the low resolution scopes. Though, I fixed the problem that Frocs mentioned (it's not enabled by default, but you can adjust it in the mod.ini). I might add a PNG scope, but I'm not sure yet how it would be the best (fullscreen like in AoS or attached to the gun and rendered in 3D; balance awesomeness and speed). The game is already now pretty playable (especially with the movable artillery in the next update).
Sound is added; the sounds themselves are shitty, but the sound engine seems pretty fine. They will come with the next update.
I'm currently starting the plane code, tho' it's a big project. I think it's unconvenient to discuss the slowdown of plane KV6 until I really benchmark it; I did say it CAN make VXW slower, but it doesn't have to.
1001 posts Page 25 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”