How to create a map

Instructions for using and creating mods.
5 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

Index:
-Terrain and painting with Blockman2d
-Converting things with Poly2vox
-Editing the modells with Slab6
-Adding your modells with Voxed to your map
-Making a 3d modell with "Isorender"

Today I would like to show you a step by step method for builduing maps with Blockman2d, Poly2vox,Slab6, Voxed and "Isorender". Before we start you need the programms above. Ready? Okay!

Blockman2d
Lets start with Blockman2d for the heightmap and the mappainting. Open Blockman an click "Height Map Painter". You will see some tools which are very important except the tools below "Generate X-Wave" (you don`t need them). In the middle the blue thing is the battlefield where you will "paint" your map. We can choose two brushes !YAY! When you had chosen one, regulate the brush size, the tolerance and the height. Every height has its own color (Low lightblue; high darkred). I always draw the contour with a height of two first. Image.
Then I continue with the "circlebrush" with a max height of 12 and a tolerance of 2. TIP: COUNT THE RINGS WHEN YOU CHOOSED A HEIGHT! when the rings fit with your choosen height everything is perfect! Now it should look something like that:
Great! If you make a mistake, dont worry, just use the "eraser" which is next to your brushes. It will bring everything back to waterlevel, if you want a special height again, use the "Height Overwriter". Okay now you have to save your heightmap so you can paint it. To save your heightmap just click Save Heightmap and rename it to whatever you want. After you saved it you have to click "paint". You will see coordinates in the middle and many brushes on the left.
I usually use the bucket on the left. There you can choose of "color fill" and "height fill". We will use the height fill. Now we will click the green window of the last picture and choose a nice color. For every height, we will choose a darker or lighter color.
When you colored everything how you wish, click "Save Template" and rename it to whatever you want again. After that click "generate", thats the moment where I have to reinstall blockman2d every f**** time, but okay. Click on map generator when that happens and open your painted map. You will be able to see a colored window on the left, and click the color which you want for the water.
Save it when you are okay with your map.

Poly2vox and Slab6
Open your browser and load one of the foolowing webpages: http://archive3d.net/?category=1055 ; http://tf3dm.com/. You will see many modells, if you like one, download it and rightclick on the 3ds file and open it with poly2vox, we can just convert that file. Now rightclick on the new file and open it with Slab6. Probably It will be much to big for an AoS map, so click tools and then "halve dimension", if this isnt enough, do it again. Believe it or not, we can paint the modell! So go with the cursor to the right buttom and select a color by rightclick. Move the corsor on your modell and press space to paint one block, press space+shift to paint things in a bigger radius.
When its okay, click "File" choose "Save as". Now you have to select KVX. where actually KV6. is. and rename your file.

Voxed
Back to your map. Rightclick it, click open as and select Voxed, which is in your AoS folder. You will see your map now (the colors look weird, dont worry ;) ) To add your modells press "u" on your keyboard and choose your kvx.-modell.
Move your modell when its not well placed by pressing the numbers, BE CAREFUL WITH "4", this will bring your modell the sky nearer than you want it to. Is it now well placed? Super! continue by adding trees etc, which you can convert with the same method of above. Save your map by pressing alt+f3. TIP: SAVE THE MAP WITH ANOTHER NAME THEN YOUR MAP WITHOUT TREES AS BACKUP.

Isorender
Open you folder with Isorender and click on "index". Your browser will open, now select the VXL. file of your map in the window with "search for".
It will take a moment untill you see your map. But when its ready, it will look like this:

I hope that helps everybody, who wants to build a map. And thanks for reading AND for my bad english.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Every single one of your isorenders has that pillar in the back, why? Good tutorial BTW, please make more block man 2D tutorials as it is a neat tool but its not easy to learn.
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

sorry idk... i tried to delet the blocks, but i cant do it in voxel. the blocks are there and i am not able to delet them
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

good job.
Now do a tutorial for the 3d procedural generator!
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

I will try it just for you < 3
5 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Guides / Tutorials”