Introduction to Modding Ace of Spades[WIP]

Instructions for using and creating mods.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

Welcome to my thread, This thread is aimed at newbies and teach them how to make mods for AoS, This thread contains all links to software and tutorial and basic description for the tools.

If anyone wants to make mods, They must at least have good computer knowledge and can operate computers easily.

Making Guns And Models
Making models is one of the more easier things, But making good models is another thing.

SLAB6(Uses: Making Guns, Models for Maps)
SLAB6 is a kv6 editor, what is KV6? KV6 is a file format which is used by Ace of Spades to determine the looks of the models (ie guns, player, grenades etc) You edit it using SLAB6, there are other KV6 editors out there but they are either paid or not publicly available.'

How to use SLAB6?
You use the "w" key to zoom, "s" key to unzoom, "a" key to pan left, "d" key to pan right.
You use the mouse to move your view.
You can place blocks by pointing your mouse where you want to place the block and then press the "insert" key(Should be above your arrow keys) and delete blocks by pressing the "delete" key.
You change the block by pressing "enter" and choosing a color by right clicking it.
You can paint a block by pressing space on it.

Slab6 advanced controls:
", " key / ". " key turn model left / right
"PgUp" Key / "PgDown " key" turn model up/down
Shift+Space - paint blocks in brush radius
Home End - insert/delete blocks in brush radius
+ - (NUM) - changes brush radius

Click Here To Download SLAB6

Tips on making good KV6 models
WIP

Youtube Tutorials
Making Ironsights and ScopesWIP
Making Iron sights and scopes would be easy for someone who is a graphic artist, Not for normal people.

Using GIMP
GIMP is tough program for beginners, It is free but you will need to learn the basics of gimp to start making actual scopes.
Simple gimp tutorial by MrHaax(Some lines are edited by Kuma)
Spoiler:
1- Make the sight model in Slab6. Tutors for these are plenty.
2- Print the screen with Crt+PrtSrc. If you're on Windows Vista and above, use Snipping Tool and snip only the sight for maximum effectiveness. Oh yes, taskbar can be clumsy.
3- Copy to GIMP.
4- Use Fuzzy Select and delete the slab6's background.
5- Create your aiming point. If need to delete parts, use Eraser with 'hard edge' on.
6- Make a new image of 800x600, transparent background(It's in Advanced options)
7- Use 1-pixel pencil, draw 4 pixels at 399,300; 399,301; 400,300; 400,301. Just use 399,300 if you are doing 1-pixel sights.
7.Lines placed on 400(vertical) will not be visible so better not put your main dot there but remember to put something because it is visible when the gun shoots.
8- Copy the sight to this image. Move it to the correct place. Anchor the image with CRT+H(make it stick to the layer)
9- Use Gaussian Blur from Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur. Use enough blur. Forget the 'blur method'.
10- Done? You can re-draw the aiming thingy if there's too much blur.
11- 'Use "Export" if using gimp 2.8 and "Save as" in gimp 2.6, save it as semi.png/smg.png/shotgun.png for respective guns.
Using Paint.net
This is not your paint which comes with windows machine. It is different, The learning curve is much easier than gimp but lacks certain features.
Tutorials
A Comprehensive Guide to Iron Sight Making By Taboo

Tips on making good scopes
The center of the scope/sight should be a 399x300
X 400(vertical) line is always hidden when idle and is visible when the gun is fired.
Y 299(horizontal) line is always doubled.
Don't make scopes with light colors like green, blue, white. Use black for the lines and red(optional) for the dots. But i am not saying don't use these colors, you can use them but not for the entire scopes.

Making Maps
Making maps is not a easy job, Because you need a lot creativity, experience and skill to make maps, Just making a flat land is not enough. Having a good idea is necessary (Like pinpoint, it is flat land but ensures some good game play)

Using Bildramer's Bitmap Converter
This bitmap converter is a really good program, You use a ColorMap and A HeightMap to make a map.
HeightMap determines how height the map be and the ColorMap determines the color of the blocks. You will need gimp or paint.net for using this,
A good height pallete
Given to Me By jdrew
Tutorials
SandCrawler's Bitmap Tutorial
How To: Create Custom Heightmaps in GIMP by Influx
Flat Earth Theory - An Exploration of Creating Heightmaps by Buffet_of_Lies

Using Blockman2D
One of the best map editors out there(maybe the only free one, which is easy to use). Made by FaultCheck, which created the B&S sign generator so he is awesome. It uses the same concepts of Bildramer's bitmap convertor. But is easier to use with inbuilt brushes.
Tutorials
How to create a map by Lelue
Introduction to map making by JdrewNot complete

Useful Resources
A Polygon to Voxel tutorial using poly2vox, by Buffet_of_Lies
Push map making and best practices, by Danhezee the tower overlord
Last edited by Kuma on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

Please Help By:-
Fixing any grammatical mistakes(English isn't my first language)
Providing tutorials for things mentioned above
Adding some more information

Things to add
Mapping
More Tutorials for Sights making
Scripting?
Tips on making mods
Last edited by Kuma on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leif_The_Head
Deuced Up

Nice that you want to make this kinda allround-guide.

If you want to, I could modify Taboo's guide for GIMP, it is pretty similiar.

Slab6 advanced controls:
, . - turn model left/right
PgUp PgDown - turn model up/down
+ - (NUM) - change brush radius
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

Leif_The_Head wrote:
Nice that you want to make this kinda allround-guide.

If you want to, I could modify Taboo's guide for GIMP, it is pretty similiar.

Slab6 advanced controls:
, . - turn model left/right
PgUp PgDown - turn model up/down
+ - (NUM) - change brush radius
Thanks! Go ahead make the guide for gimp. I din't add the advance control for slab6 because newbies won't really use these.
Can you also find some youtube tutorials, I will be busy with editing mapping.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Code: Select all
GIMP Tutors for Dummies:
2- Print the screen with Crt+PrtSrc. If you're on Windows Vista and above, use Snipping Tool and snip only the sight for maximum effectiveness. Oh yes, taskbar can be clumsy.
3- Copy to GIMP.
5- Create your aiming thingy. If need to delete parts, use Eraser with 'hard edge' on.
6- Make a new image of 800x600, transparent background(It's in Advanced options)
7- Use 1-pixel pencil, draw 4 pixels at 399,300; 399,301; 400,300; 400,301. Just use 399,300 if you are doing 1-pixel sights.
7.1- 1 pixel sights WILL BE DISORTED on 0.75. And by disorted, i mean dissappeared. Better make it two.
8- Copy the sight to this image. Move it to the correct place. Anchor the image with CRT+H(make it stick to the layer)
9- Use Gaussian Blur from Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur. Use enough blur. Forget the 'blur method'.
11- 'Export' , not Save, as semi, smg, shotgun .png.
12- Profit!
Sorry for the bad grammar. About any glow effect, i'm not sure if there's any, but a good way to replicate glow is color those 'going-to-be-glow' parts before AND after using blur. Yes, color, and recolor. My sights works that way.
Hope this helps.
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

MrHaaax wrote:
GIMP Tutors for Dummies:
3- Copy to GIMP.
5- Create your aiming thingy. If need to delete parts, use Eraser with 'hard edge' on.
7.1- 1 pixel sights WILL BE DISORTED on 0.75. And by disorted, i mean dissappeared. Better make it two.
12- Profit!
Sorry for the bad grammar. About any glow effect, i'm not sure if there's any, but a good way to replicate glow is color those 'going-to-be-glow' parts before AND after using blur. Yes, color, and recolor. My sights works that way.
Hope this helps.
Thanks though if you put the pixel on 399x300 the dot won't disappear it only disappear on 400x300 and the rest of the 400 line.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Kuma wrote:
MrHaaax wrote:
GIMP Tutors for Dummies:
3- Copy to GIMP.
12- Profit!
Hope this helps.
Thanks though if you put the pixel on 399x300 the dot won't disappear it only disappear on 400x300 and the rest of the 400 line.
Oh, ok thanks.
MilanoBalotelli
Deuce

Thank you for making this tutorial, very helpful Green_BigSmile
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

BUMP
New map updates, almost finished...
GIV ME SOME REWARD FOR THIS!!!! *FLIPS TABLE*
extra
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Good job.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

If this thing is still active, i'd like to change a bit in the GIMP glowy part:
To make shit glow, download Border Glow script. Google it.
Now, you should have a sight without anything done properly yet, aka step 8.
Paint the part you want to glow, and create a second layer on top of it.
Meanwhile, copy your main sight layer. I also forgot to say that you should make your aiming thingy seperated from the main sight (as 2 different layers) for maximum effectiveness.
Gaussian Blur the top copied sight layer, set level 7. Done? Prettier, right?
Meanwhile, put your Border Glow script in a folder, and access GIMP settings, change the scripts folder to the one with your Border Glow. Restart GIMP(save your shits first)
There should be the script. Now, on the second supposed-to-be-glowy sight layer, use Border Glow from Tools or somewhere you can access to Effects. Select the painted glowy parts. And click. Now, set Width to 1, and the Feathering Width to... what ever you like. Merge the sight, then you are done!
^this is a raw paste, please edit it Kuma.
WolfManChris393
Deuce

Now how do I download the mod?
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Guides / Tutorials”