A Comprehensive Guide to Iron Sight Making

Instructions for using and creating mods.
28 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
.::Taboo::.
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

(click the gigantic image for its full 1000x10000 glory)

You can download the raw .PDN of the FMG9 sight that I used for my example here, and the .KV6 of the the sight is also here.
For those too lazy to type it themselves, you can download Paint.NET here.
I hoped I helped everyone out a little.
Buffet_of_Lies
Mapper
Mapper

Brilliant! What is that gun you're using and can I download that?
ecx
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Bookmarked Green_BigSmile
Super detailed and comprehensive, amazing tutorial. I hope to be using this in the future when I finally get off my ass and start modding...
BTW, your mods and sights are great. I think it's safe to say that the level of detail on your sights are on par with Paratrooper's. Also, it's nice to see a modder who's actively posting new stuff, especially when a lot of the veteran modders from the old forums seem to have stopped Blue_Wink1
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Buffet_of_Lies wrote:
Brilliant! What is that gun you're using and can I download that?
The weapon being used in the example is my FMG9, which can be found in my mod thread. (Link is in my signature)
ecx wrote:
Bookmarked Green_BigSmile
Super detailed and comprehensive, amazing tutorial. I hope to be using this in the future when I finally get off my ass and start modding...
BTW, your mods and sights are great. I think it's safe to say that the level of detail on your sights are on par with Paratrooper's. Also, it's nice to see a modder who's actively posting new stuff, especially when a lot of the veteran modders from the old forums seem to have stopped Blue_Wink1
Thanks, glad to have provided help. :B
I've been told that, yeah. Apparently modding is a dying art, so I'm hoping to keep it alive a while longer, and so long as I'm at it, promote mod making to try and get more people into the field.
SIMOX
Deuced Up

I'd like to point it out that if you gonna double dimmensions more than 2 times you better add a huge ammount of detail otherwise it's not gonna look that good. Doubling dimensions 2 times is enough imo for a great looking sights. Also you could have used a font for this tutorial that is easier to read. Other than that good work.

Oh and the reason why it can't double dimensions any more is because it exceeds 512 blocks limit. So if your model is already >256 than it won't double.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

Great tutorial, I wasn't aware of the doubling dimension trick.
Thanks for taking the time to write this!
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

GODDAMNIT How many times do I have to see people not knowing that the center of sights is 399x300? That's right - 399x300. Tested as many times as I had headshots. No other values work. Some ppl out there in community already know this. 399x300 - and remember that custom sights might not be centered well enough. Also please check my mods if I helped Green_Happy1
P.S. Also you should know that x=400 (vertical) line appears only when shooting (remains hidden when idle); y=299 (horizontal) line is always double, so know that too.
Last edited by Chameleon on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

The fact that sights are offset and distorted slightly ingame is a well known fact, and I used that to an advantage in making my DMR sight perfectly circular ingame. I saw no need to note that fact in the tutorial, figuring that telling people to use other sight centers as a basis did the job.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Yeah, I do perfect circles too :P still, beginners should be told this so they can compete against older modders. Also I see no one going around telling ppl 399x300, we need this more, because there are players that don't know this. And using someone's premade sight to center yours is much more work than just selecting and dragging.
theginjaninja09
Modder
Modder

hey chameleon, you can still have two red dots, one on (399,300) and the other on (400,300).
Silnius
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Super Guide !
NeroShooter
Deuce

Amazing guide
Leif_The_Head
Deuced Up

Just used this to make my scope for my new semi in my new pack (right link in sig). Helped me alot Green_BigSmile Blue_BigSmile

Edit: The coord of the middle point helped me! I just tested the scope and every single shot went right where I wanted it to (coming to 8 headshots in less than a minute, they thought I am hacking xD)
The scope will be in my new Ninja texture pack, if you want to try it out...
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

great guide, I also just used this. I could never understand how to AA the sights with transparency since I don't mess with that type of image editing, but now I understand how to do that. this has really helped me get back into modding and this game in general
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Really good guide, some bits I didn't even know until now.
I would just recommend not always doubling it to the maximum. Sometimes it looks uglier than if you only used Double Dimensions once, like I did with my M1911, that I'm pretty proud of.

One small tip that can also make it look better is to use different shading for different parts. Again with my M1911 as an example, I took two pics: One with only Face Shading and one with both Face and Normal Shading, and used the hand of the Face-only shading in the image, cutting out the gun from the F+N pic to use in it.
28 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Guides / Tutorials”