Custom server splash screen upon joining a server.

Comments and suggestions about the BuildAndShoot.com website.
14 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

I was playing Aloha PK R1CTF earlier, or, right now if you will.
And one thing struck me, people who joined the server usually have no idea that you're supposed to actually take the intel to the ENEMY tent. Which is frustrating. So, what I suggest here is simple. When you click the server, you'll get a splash screen/notice about the server, which the server owner can customised him/herself.

The best only example I can think of right now is when you first click on a 4chan board. This will pop up:

So in the case of build and shoot, the server will probably just list the rules, what's special about the server, if anything, and maybe some fancy logo. You will also get the option to disable it, so you don't have to go through it every time. Either that or it will automatically be disabled after the first try. Your choice, Danheeze.

And last but definitively least, a small button to the right of the servers where you can choose to view the splash screen again later. And no topic by me is complete without a really shitty mock-up.

Is splash screen even the corret word? I don't know. If it's not, tell me.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Brilliant idea, it will stop a lot of yelling when a new person gets the Intel and doesn't know what to do with it. Another server that might get quite a bit of use from this is any server running the Kracken script as the splash screen would allow them to display the rules and anything else that regards to that server.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

So you mean like the splash screen when join the game, except it's when you join a server and it's says what you have to do, which server you're on, and the rules? (kind of like Gmod?) This would be a good idea.
scrawl
Veterans
Veterans

bullets wrote:
So you mean like the splash screen when join the game, except it's when you join a server and it's says what you have to do, which server you're on, and the rules? (kind of like Gmod?) This would be a good idea.
I kinda think he means before you join the server, when you click on it, a splashscreen would appear, showing you the rules/information. Or am I totally wrong?
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

I think we're both entirely wrong :P
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

I'd think that would require some form of client modification, which is impossible. Some servers have a MOTD which pops up when you join the team, that could work for most of these cases.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
I'd think that would require some form of client modification, which is impossible. Some servers have a MOTD which pops up when you join the team, that could work for most of these cases.
No one ever reads the motd, but yeah, you would need to download a modified client to get the splash screen,
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
which is impossible.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

bullets wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
No one ever reads the motd, but yeah, you would need to download a modified client to get the splash screen,
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
which is impossible.

No. The splash screen would be from the website, and would redirect to the server. The aos client has nothing to do with it.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Oh, I see. I'm not sure I get the point of it then.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Oh, I see. I'm not sure I get the point of it then.

So people will know the rules of the server they're joining, and which tent they should cap the intel on in R1CTF
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Servers have tips displayed every couple of minutes so this is not really needed
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

jdrew wrote:
Servers have tips displayed every couple of minutes so this is not really needed
No one ever reads it, it's too long to read if you try to read it, you need to see all the rules at once in one place, so you actually understand, you can't describe how to play CTF (to a deuce) in 5 words. (Please don't be stupid and say 'Capture the enemy intel.)
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

bullets wrote:
(Please don't be stupid and say 'Capture the enemy intel.)
That kind of is it, though.

I don't know, it seems to me the problem is more of "idiots don't read the motd" than anything else, why give them one more thing to ignore? It's sink or swim.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
bullets wrote:
(Please don't be stupid and say 'Capture the enemy intel.)
That kind of is it, though.

I don't know, it seems to me the problem is more of "idiots don't read the motd" than anything else, why give them one more thing to ignore? It's sink or swim.
The people that rarely do always are like 'Where's da intel' 'what do I do wit it' or they don't even realise that they have it until a team-mate is strangling there throat and yelling shit at him until he realises.
14 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Site Feedback”