Master Server

Comments and suggestions about the BuildAndShoot.com website.
11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Szuwar
Deuce

As everyone know, since december Jagex will drop support for a beta version of AoS. That means there will be no longer 0.75 and 0.76 master server available. I realize, and this should really be obvious to staff, that someone need to create an alternative to official MS.
Would anyone tell us if such program is being developed at this moment and if not is there really need for it or there is a plan for better version of informing players about online servers.

Also I noticed there is server list on portal page. Is there json version of this list so the server browser would have easy way to gather information or is it just temporary (for one reason or another) copy of official list?
CommunistBlock
Deuce

Some servers don't know about this site yet, and that's the only reason they're not on it. But once this site get widespread popularity then it'll have a massive server list. And the Master Server List wont be in exsistance after 1.0, and I don't think anyone's going to make one.
Szuwar
Deuce

But you see, the matter with the master server is that it's very easy to duplicate; at least since pyspades ( god bless Mat²). Knowing that there can be one unofficial-official serverlist which require from server admins just a little modification in pyspades (modification being changing IP address in one of the files).

And I agree not many people know about this new forum, but it's obvious 0.75 and 0.76 gonna be dropped sooner or later and it's better to be prepared.

[edit]
I've just read Q&A with Stack and danhezee so now I know there's gonna be a custom master server. What's left is if there is gonna be a json version of the list.
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

There are plans in the pipelines for an alternative "master" server. There are some technicalities that will have to be ironed out and it might be a bit rough at first, but we have a plan for providing an active server listing.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Just a thought, anyone considering offering a pyspades update that will auto add/change the masterserver ip to the new one? It might make switching over a bit easier if they just had to do a command instead of finding the ip in the server file... not a huge issue, but it might make the transfer more appealing/desirable if it came packaged looking like a new update :)

Oh, was the entries/page there before I made that suggestion and I was just blind? Or did you add it after the fact?
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

a girl wrote:
Just a thought, anyone considering offering a pyspades update that will auto add/change the masterserver ip to the new one? It might make switching over a bit easier if they just had to do a command instead of finding the ip in the server file... not a huge issue, but it might make the transfer more appealing/desirable if it came packaged looking like a new update :)

Oh, was the entries/page there before I made that suggestion and I was just blind? Or did you add it after the fact?
Yes, actually. The only problem in the meantime is server costs. Since pyspades is open source, we can easily fork it and redirect it to a new master server. The only problem is cost. A dedicated server can be quite expensive. We are working on a solution currently to help mitigate this problem.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Also for 0.76 we need it to connect to a new master server.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

How fancy of a server do you need? From my understanding (somewhat limited, I know) the master server need not be too decked out... wouldn't a vps on the scale of a standard game server be adequate? I'd expect you could get away with much less... what specs do you need?

Thalagyrt has a couple of budget setups... also DMEhosting has some reasonable pricing (dedicated ip could be an issue there however)
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

HoboHob wrote:
Also for 0.76 we need it to connect to a new master server.
I suspect, if it's done right, the master server could support all versions of AOS and even list links to the specific download mirror :D
rakiru
Coder
Coder

I've offered to host this for free if needed, and I'm also interested in helping out with any developing needing done for this site (not site coding, but other stuff).
boathouse2112
Deuce

rakiru wrote:
I've offered to host this for free if needed, and I'm also interested in helping out with any developing needing done for this site (not site coding, but other stuff).
We love you. We ALL love you.
11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Site Feedback”