My Plan To Recover Files From Majhost

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Post here!
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST. IMPORTANT INFORMATION IS IN THE ENTIRE THING! This will be copied and pasted on several other forums, as an urgent help message. This is not an advertisment. Every forum listed here has a reason for why this site needs to be back up. Some forums have bigger reasons than others.

There are way too many people to count, who have lost items due to the crash of Majhost. So we must DO SOMETHING!

I have a huge masterplan that will involve your help, people. I want to get Majhost up so we can rescue everything from everyones Majhost folder. I have a list of users who's items I will be putting in a huge zip folder. But to get Majhost up, we need to find the founder. Luckily...

His Twitter: https://twitter.com/kevinmloch
His Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kevinmloch
His Email: [email protected]

That is the founder. His name is Kevin Loch. Now, he is active on Twitter, Facebook and I'm pretty sure he still uses that E-mail. So what are we going to do? We are going to message him requests to re-open Majhost for a week or 2 so that we can get all the files from Majhost and recover everything we can. This includes everyones lost work, comics, important pictures and old sprites. I'm making a long list of people's majhost accounts that I'll be going through, especially older users that aren't around anymore.

TO SPRITEWARS USERS: We know this pain, and we know it hard. We've lost what, around 50,000+ files? If we can do this, I will be getting several old users sprites, and making a massive zip folder.
TO ALOHA USERS: I will re-upload my old artworks to the forums for you, and I think Danko could get his country flags and other icons back from his Majhost folder.
TO PLAZMABURST 2 USERS: I will be re-uploading my concepts for ideas for the game...and I know some of you used to use this website to host your concepts as well.
TO BUILDANDSHOOT USERS: I will reupload the weapon previews, and the sights for AoS. The old sights and Mod Challenge previews were hosted there, as well as a few sights for the weapons.
TO VG-RESOURCE USERS: I know you guys have lost some work as well. I'm not that active there, but we need your help. I know some of you were impacted more than others, and I know some of you don't care. But this is to help everyone reclaim access to lost sprites that we've not had access to in 8-9 months now.
TO DOUBTERS AND CRITICS: I know it's a long shot but WE NEED TO TRY.
TO THOSE WHO PROBABLY WANT TO BAN ME FOR ADVERTISING: This is not an advertisement to any website. This is me trying to get help for my friends, fellow forum members and me. I can guarantee you that at least a few members have been impacted by this. It's not even about me. It's about the hundreds to thousands of users who were impacted. I want to help them all. Some of us check that website, every day. Hoping, praying that it's back online. Praying that we get another chance to get our old work and files.

***Here is the master plan***

We will all send emails, fb messages, or tweets. I'm reaching out on several forums to help us with this, including Spritewars, VG-Resource, Aloha.pk, Plazmaburst 2 and Build and Shoot. We need to let this guy know that we were never informed that our files would be taken off the internet. Don't do it just for me, or yourself. Do it for the users you don't know, the users who will be helped by this. You're helping people get their much loved files back (on spritewars alone, you'd be helping us get over (rough estimates) 50,000 files that went missing).

Here's an example of what a FB message/tweet/email should look like. And don't copy and paste directly. Make your own, but the start and end are important to put down. This way we let him know that multiple communities are affected. If multiple options apply, list them. If I was you, I'd probably do all 3 to get his attention as much as possible.

"Dear Mr. Loch,

Majhost has been down for an extended time, and [me/friends/community members] have lost valuable files. These files were important to [me/friends/community members] and we had absolutely no warning that this site would be going down. It's not right that [me/friends/community members] have to lose our files. If it's a money issue, [I/we] understand, but we only need this website up for 1-2 weeks to get all of our files back.

Thanks for your time,
[username], part of [forum]"

Send messages to his FB account, twitter and email. I will be bumping this post as much as (reasonably) possible to raise attention.

Thanks,

Monstarules.

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO YOU SCRUBS, AND THE GOOD PEOPLE ON BNS

I'm half expecting this to become a shitstorm. However, I need to get some files off of Majhost that are relavent to BnS, such as the Modding Competition files. Also, if you read correctly, you'll notice you'll be helping more than just yourselves.
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

Link to petition to get answers: https://www.change.org/p/kevin-loch-ple ... om-is-down

PLEASE SIGN!
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

what the fuck is majhost and why should i (read we) care
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

Image hoster. It's where I hosted all the images for the mods, A. B: A bunch of my friends and I combined lost over 50k files
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

So you put ~50k files on a site on the internet, one that has no type of guarantee of stability, without keeping them backed up somewhere? Genius.
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

WE had backups of the other 500k. and half of these people lost harddrives right when maj crashed
Pedroh
Post Demon
Post Demon

Vezok wrote:
So you put ~50k files on a site on the internet, one that has no type of guarantee of stability, without keeping them backed up somewhere? Genius.
Nigga damn, he's asking for support, not for you to tell him what you did wrong
Afrodude
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

this is literally gayer than dicks
koronelkhunt
Deuced Up

nah man its cool
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

I just need support for my friends at this point. I'm only petitioning for an answer.
MKU
Artist
Artist

Or we could just use imgur. Oh wait, he have been.

On a serious note, people just want their art back. If you're a visual artist and you don't backup any of your work then that's your fault.
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

MKU wrote:
Or we could just use imgur. Oh wait, he have been.

On a serious note, people just want their art back. If you're a visual artist and you don't backup any of your work then that's your fault.
I didn't personally lose important files. I knew I'd need backups. However, the missing picture here is the fact that a lot of people who aren't active there anymore had their entire libraries on Maj, and then when Maj went down, we lost access to all the older resources and files they had. Now we had a bunch of the files backed up. However, some of us lost files before we could re-upload them, in hard drive crashes. I'd like to say 4 users (including me, but ofc I had backups in dropbox, and on flashdrives) lost older files due to hardrive issues , and in one case, a user had to get an entire new PC. It's definitely not the end of the world if we lose these files permanently. However, because Brickshelf.com is still up, I'm sure he has the backups, as the files were on the same server (and naturally, not on the same website) and we have reason to believe he just shut it down because he happens to like legos better, Maj started getting slightly costly, and probably because Maj was becoming cluttered with useless/inappropriate shit, like hentai for example, which is not what Majhost was intended for. However, the site did go down without warning, and it has been the longest downtime ever for Majhost. It's approaching 9 months of being down.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “The Lounge”