[politics] Obama's "political theater" and the sueing

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Post here!
39 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Sorry I can't embed the video here. Basically Obama used an executive order to make his obamacare happen:
Boehner wrote:
"In 2013, the president changed the health care law without a vote of Congress, effectively creating his own law by literally waiving the employer mandate and the penalties for failing to comply with it. That's not the way our system of government was designed to work,"(vox.com)

Because that is borderline illegal the house of representatives is trying to sue Obama, the above site also explains the process. Although the lawsuit will most likely fail this is still a topic I wanted to talk about. So you can look on the surface and see that Obama is using more power then usual to make things happen. Now you can go debate about the legality of that and stop reading. Or, you could use geass and examine how Obama is responding to this situation which to me is where it gets interesting.

Obama has done at least two videos(links below) explaining in his way why he is being sued. He makes it seem like he is "for the people" and that congress is not working with him. Whether that is the case doesn't actually matter. He is also acting unprofessional and comedic in the CNN video making him seem like a real peoples person. He is truly gaining the support of the middle class people. At this rate if he is impeached then the people might revolt and get him back into office. So I tip my hat to you Mr.President. Anyway what is your thoughts on the matter? I would also like to hear what people outside of the USA think of this.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/30/politics/ ... ?hpt=po_c1
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ue_me.html
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

No anti-congress-get-obama-back-in-revolt-riot-thing will happen. People are complacent and lazy. That's why they make posts on the internet talking about issues instead of resolving them. Also, I don't know any people that are actually middle class that like Obama. Could be just where I live, but only people that live off welfare seem to like him around here...
Pedroh
Post Demon
Post Demon

i like him cus hes black
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Mr.Torch wrote:
No anti-congress-get-obama-back-in-revolt-riot-thing will happen. People are complacent and lazy. That's why they make posts on the internet talking about issues instead of resolving them. Also, I don't know any people that are actually middle class that like Obama. Could be just where I live, but only people that live off welfare seem to like him around here...
It's probably where you live.

Also, how dare he try to make America more like the country with the highest standard of living.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Vezok wrote:
Mr.Torch wrote:
It's probably where you live.

Also, how dare he try to make America more like the country with the highest standard of living.
Personally, I'd rather live in Russia. People I've met from there say they have more freedoms lol.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Let's be real here, most of these people hate Obama because he's black.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Let's be real here, most of these people hate Obama because he's black.
That's why people didn't like Bush, because he was white.
Marksmanship
Veterans
Veterans

This lawsuit is just yet another measure in a long string of various attempts to stop federal and especially federal executive power from growing in the US. Given that even an all-out war failed to stop the US federal government from consolidating more power, I doubt it will accomplish much. Contrast this with the EU, which acts as a weak "federal" power over a collection of mostly-sovereign states, much as the US was under the pre-constitutional Articles of Confederation.

Even if the suit does succeed, the verdict won't be delivered until long after Obama's term has run out. By that point its only value will be as a precedent, albeit a potentially useful one.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

xCross wrote:
I've been wondering for a while, but can you sue the president and win?
Why don't you read the sources and find out?
Marksmanship
Veterans
Veterans

xCross wrote:
Jdrew wrote:
xCross wrote:
Why don't you read the sources and find out?
Lazyness
To answer the question, yes, you can. Nobody in the US is above the law, as most of our founding fathers' legal traditions came from England and the Magna Carta.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

xCross wrote:
Yes, although to do so successfully you have to have this thing called a "legitimate reason."
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Vezok wrote:
xCross wrote:
Yes, although to do so successfully you have to have this thing called a "legitimate reason."
Like not being a U.S. citizen? He has never shown proof of his birthplace.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Mr.Torch wrote:
Vezok wrote:
xCross wrote:
Like not being a U.S. citizen? He has never shown proof of his birthplace to a fox news reporter.
Ftfy.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

Vezok wrote:
Mr.Torch wrote:
Vezok wrote:
xCross wrote:
Like not being a U.S. citizen? He has never shown proof of his birthplace to a fox news reporter.
Ftfy.
I don't watch fox. I know from the internet.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Sued for being from Africa? That is racism.
39 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
Return to “The Lounge”