How Much Longer Will it Last!?

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Post here!
15 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Rebwarrior
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Alright. I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this post, but I'm going to make my opinion vocal. I despise babel and hallway. With a passion. I have semi-reasonable reasons to dislike them. For one thing, they're the only populated servers. If you go on the first server that isn't hallway or babel, there's what, 15 people on the server, on the average day. Another is most of the community. I'm not being racist, but all of the nationalist/elitist foreigners are really obnoxious. I once got kicked for aimbot because I shot a guy, and he ranted in Brazilian, and all of his friends voted me out. Yet another example of shite community is the amount of hackers on the servers. You can't give hallway or babel a try, because on hallway, some people use hacks to see through the walls. On babel, you get shot off of your team's establishment halfway across the map via a non-spreading shotgun headshot. It's really annoying. I remember AoS Classic and the Goon servers. Nice mods, quality maps, and a pretty fair community. It was fun, back in that day. Now, the most populated servers are repetitive junk like hallway and babel. So, to get to the point of the post, how long do you think the hallway/babel fad will last? Feel free to post your opinion. I'm always welcome to the opposite side's position on topics such as these.
Xenon
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Babel is popular because it's a building and killing gamemode, which building is popular and so is killing. Because they are populated, more people get on to have more targets and such, that makes it more populated.
Hallway is just a popular map. Not my favorite though.

BR's will always be around. Can't help that.
iirc, Goon Haven went down from some kind of drama or something.

If this game gets more popular, then you'll see an increase of different maps and gamemodes. So tell your friends.
Jedelas
Veterans
Veterans

With the revival of Minit, there are times where Minit would be popular with the classic Assault maps. There's also a CTF server and aloha servers would be filled up quite randomly. Sometimes there's Block Power, Pinpoint, etc.

Or you could just find a couple of friends and join a server with your preferred gamemode. Nobody's forcing you to exclusively play on those two servers.
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah, if you're looking for a Goon Haven-esque experience, I really recommend you try Minit US - Assault
[RUS] Vlad01
League Participant
League Participant

There is also LAMPOVYI SERVACHOK server here, with pretty good push and tow modes, which is popular in Russian community.

And yeah, I think we should, as Xenon said, make this game more popular by making threads on some imageboards/special forums.
Yeah, we probably get even more BRs from that, but also we can get more people, who can make maps/scripts/mods.
Revolet
Deuced Up

This could be solved if you can just advertise the game to new people. Set up a little match with some friends from other places and watch the server grow. The BnS community can't be the only people whose interested in a game like this. A game like this has to be known. More people playing this game would increase chances of playing other gamemodes and talking with people who speak English.

Just my two cent.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

I agree with Revolet. There are always going to be annoying people, but think about players such as yourselves. You got here somehow. And I'm sure there are a few gems out there that will see this game and stick around / contribute to it. The reason why there are so many "nationalist/elitist foreigners" is because a couple people in those countries enjoyed the game and shared it with their friends. I think the issue here is that not enough "good/contributing people" are sharing it with friends.
Rebwarrior
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Willy wrote:
Yeah, if you're looking for a Goon Haven-esque experience, I really recommend you try Minit US - Assault

Hey, man. No offense to your server. I went on it, and it's fucking amazing. It brings back nostalgia for real. However, the first dialogue I see is this guy named Lord Gunner, who says, "You guys stop cheating or else I'll start back up again!" Nobody was cheating on our team. I got a headshot off on him, and he said, "FINE! I'll start cheating again!" He immediately began getting headhsots through blocks in the green spawn. Cross map, through block headshots. He's admitted to cheating multiple times, but nobody votekicks him. When I said, "Why is nobody kicking this guy? He's obviously hacking!" Some guy from our team said ,"Dude, let it go. You don't want to mess with this guy." Meanwhile, he and 3 other guys on his team said, simultaneously, "Because you're a phaggot." Do you think you can do something?
Pedroh
Post Demon
Post Demon

lol, reb, maybe you should stop hacking first
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rebwarrior wrote:
Willy wrote:

Hey, man. No offense to your server. I went on it, and it's fucking amazing. It brings back nostalgia for real. However, the first dialogue I see is this guy named Lord Gunner, who says, "You guys stop cheating or else I'll start back up again!" Nobody was cheating on our team. I got a headshot off on him, and he said, "FINE! I'll start cheating again!" He immediately began getting headhsots through blocks in the green spawn. Cross map, through block headshots. He's admitted to cheating multiple times, but nobody votekicks him. When I said, "Why is nobody kicking this guy? He's obviously hacking!" Some guy from our team said ,"Dude, let it go. You don't want to mess with this guy." Meanwhile, he and 3 other guys on his team said, simultaneously, "Because you're a phaggot." Do you think you can do something?
My apologies that this occurred, we have an active, dedicated, albeit very small staff who would have intervened if we'd seen this happening - of course, it's difficult to ensure everything is monitored 24/7. I could certainly go through the logs and take punitive action against player/s mentioned, but I think in this case it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie and step up moderation of the server, especially as I cannot retroactively obtain 100% positive proof of Lord Gunner's rulebreaking. My apologies, once again.
Pedroh
Post Demon
Post Demon

Is this enough evidence

Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's not nothing, but it's not what I need. To ban a player from the testimony of non-admin players we need a video taken in first person spectate, using either topovl, pubovl or ovl75. I will stress that on Minit, i don't care if you use topovl - i trust that everyone who uses it does so with the best intentions. Even so, i think the iffy part of topovl may no longer be accessible.

While it's highly likely Lord Gunner was indeed hacking, it hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt and it just wouldn't sit right
I've added his name and ip to my IRC highlight so if he turns up again I'll watch closely.
Defaulter
Organizer
Organizer

I'll give you the relatively short answer: No. It is not going to stop. Not until the entire game is dead and no one is hosting servers.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Rebwarrior wrote:
I despise babel and hallway. With a passion. I have semi-reasonable reasons to dislike them. For one thing, they're the only populated servers.
So because they're popular?
I remember AoS Classic and the Goon servers. Nice mods, quality maps, and a pretty fair community. It was fun, back in that day. Now, the most populated servers are repetitive junk like hallway and babel.
Uh, Hallway and Pinpoint and the like have always been popular, like ever since I started playing. Personally I don't see the issue with them, they actually encourage you to build your own defense, instead of like half of these pre-built maps that people put out. Hell, I actually like those more than classicgen, which is considered heresy around these parts, but really there's a lot more fun to be had. Maybe you're blaming the maps when you should be blaming the shitty players?

Also I'm not sure how you're talking repetitiveness when most of Goon Haven's servers ran one map 24/7.
Revolet wrote:
This could be solved if you can just advertise the game to new people. Set up a little match with some friends from other places and watch the server grow. The BnS community can't be the only people whose interested in a game like this. A game like this has to be known. More people playing this game would increase chances of playing other gamemodes and talking with people who speak English.

Just my two cent.
Easier said than done. This game's been around for three years now, I'd imagine there's already been tons of people who have tried the game out and either hated it or stuck around.

The subtle racist undertones of this community are weird, not even gonna try and touch on that one lol
Revolet
Deuced Up

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Easier said than done. This game's been around for three years now, I'd imagine there's already been tons of people who have tried the game out and either hated it or stuck around.

The subtle racist undertones of this community are weird, not even gonna try and touch on that one lol
Heh now that I think of it, this game is ready for advertising I guess. I mean we already have too many problems with the game that people are trying to fix (I hope). Promoting this game even further would make us no different from Jagex I guess.
15 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “The Lounge”