Gambit (It's like risk, but it isn't!)

If it ain't Spades...
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Spring
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

(I understand that there's already a topic for this, but it's in the wrong section and doesn't actually explain much of anything about the game.)

Gambit is a free online browser game that is essentially the same thing as the popular board game Risk. This game is for 2-6 players at a time. The way it works is that everyone starts off with randomized territories on a map of the world, and armies to place in their territories. On the first turn, you receive an increased amount of armies, and are not allowed to attack anyone. However, once the second turn arrives, all hell begins to break loose, as people begin to attack other territories in order to claim them and become more powerful, with the endgame goal of ruling the entire world and wiping out all other armies. The amount of troops you spawn in each turn is based on how many total territories you hold as well as if you hold any entire continents (holding an entire continent will give you a +x bonus for armies per turn; there is a key on the map which states how many additional armies you will receive per turn if you capture an entire continent). Additionally, you can trade in sets of cards in order to receive additional troops for that turn. There are four kinds of cards: soldier, infantry, cavalry, and wild card (has all 3 on it). Each card has a territory on it except for the wild card. In order to create the "set" necessary to receive your armies, you must have either 3 of the same type of card, 3 different types of cards, or any two cards and a wild card. Once you have more than 1 troop in a territory, you can attack adjacent territories. The more troops you have in your territory, the more likely you are to win. However, it is advisable to attack with as many armies as you can at once as opposed to 1 at a time, because more often than not 1 defending troop will overpower 1 attacking troop. As you collect more territories and defeat your opponents, your army will become more powerful. When you conquer the entire world, you win!

There are also a handful of settings to change to make the game more interesting, such as turning on airstrikes (if you hold a card of a territory you occupy and a card of a territory someone else occupies, you can launch an airstrike on them) or dark mode (towards the beginning you can only see territories that you have a means of attacking, i.e. they are either adjacent to you or you have the card of said territory).

All in all it's a really fun game that quite a few of us on the official build and shoot mumble have been getting into recently. If you want to play with us, you can try joining the mumble server at a time which it's populated, joining the risk channel, and asking if anyone wants to play.

Picture of gameplay:

Link: http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Gambit
[AAT]Greninja
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

I found it pretty confusing and it took too long for people to join. Looks like fun, but.
extra
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

It looks pretty awesome.
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Wtf dat Ukraine.
Does this require one to use the voice during playing or is text chat sufficient?
BooBoo

It is generally quite confusing and i have my doubts....
Spring
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One doesn't have to use voicechat, although I guess it's recommended.

Also, although it appears confusing, there's a very easy learning curve, and once you get into it, it's very simply and fun.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”