Dark Souls: Review

If it ain't Spades...
1 post Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Defaulter
Organizer
Organizer

Code: Select all
Warning: NOT for the feint of heart
Wow. That is my first thought since I started playing this game, just wow.

I am both amazingly impressed and at the same time incredibly frustrated with this game. It simply DOESN'T fuck around, the tutorial level gives you the most basic game instructions (and oh god I mean basic, like tap right trigger to attack etc), next your dropped off at the central "hub" that leads to the other game's areas. Walk around and talk to anyone you like (there are few NPC's) you will not find a single clue on what you are supposed to be doing...

And that's the beauty of it, no quests, no storyline, no BS. Role playing hardcore no-holds-barred unrelenting frustrating ball busting dungeon crawling at it's best. The slogan "prepare to die" needs to be changed to "prepare to die, again and again and again". From one area to the next the game is a non-liner style, mostly after some mini-boss or slightly more epic boss battle you will unlock a short cut that takes you back to your main "hub". Where you can rest/restore and curl up into a ball and rock back and forth while contemplating the insane magnitude of difficulty involved in doing just about anything in this sadistic game.

BUT, the level of difficulty is not in cheap tricks and bad game mechanics, but in genuine challenging gameplay and powerful enemies that require tactics and skill to defeat. And in fact I can honestly say that I have never played another game that has given me such a sense of satisfaction after defeating a particularly nasty boss.

And on top of all this, the scenery is just stunning and will totally immerse you from area to area. Mountain peaks to dusty caverns. My only gripe with this game is how bad the character customisation is in terms of physical appearance, the features all look pretty damned terrible in contrast to the magnificent work done with the scenery and enemies.....not sure how they screwed that one up. But that's a minor complaint.

My final point to make is that the checkpoint system is probably the most cruel thing in the game, when you get to a checkpoint (bonfire) if you happen to be lucky enough to get there in one piece....as soon as it's activated all the enemies in the area re-spawn...dear god that is sadistic. You wouldn't be able to comprehend it without experiencing it first hand.

A fairly under rated RPG that just can't quite match up to the big brand names like oblivion and skyrim, but well worth a buy.

In Conclusion

+ Awsume scenery
+ Immersive gameplay/world
+ Challenging and rewarding gameplay

- Customisation is somewhat lacking
- A slightly better tutorial would have been well received
- A pretty bad check point system

8/10
1 post Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”