[25/04/13] Sci-fi spades (A BREAK DUE TO EXAMS)

If it ain't Spades...
39 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Link to the poll: http://www.buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3146
It's really important that as many people as possible vote, since I need to figure out some things to do with terrain meshes.
Hello, my name is UNITiS. And I'm a game developer.

At the moment I'm working on a game inspired by Ace of spades 0.75 which will include destructible voxel terrain and other general shooter mechanics.
The vision:
A relatively slow paced Sci-fi FPS with character, weapon and equipment customization. Slight limited mod support is planned, which will allow players to create custom weapon and character models as well as custom block textures and maybe a couple extra things but we'll have to see. A built in map editor, to allow for easy map editing. Wide range of options for the server owners.
Maybe a commander mode, where one of the players sees the battlefield from a strategy game kind of view. Where the commander can give others orders and do some exclusive stuff to help his team.

Currently I'm working on the terrain and later I will start working on the actual game mechanics. And I have yet to decide on the actual style of the game, one side of me wants to make a WW2-ish shooter like what AoS wanted to be initially however the other side of me wants to make a Sci-fi shooter. I'm more likely to go with the latter, as honestly I think we have more than enough AoS clones as of now, like Project Iceball (developer of which has a really weird attitude towards newbies) and the rest of the games in the Noteworthy picks.

Currently working on: Terrain. (Working on shifting chunks seamlessly)
Progress: 81%
[/color][/b]

To do list:
* Finish of the terrain. 81%
* Networking, server - client and vice versa interaction. 0%
* Add basic shooter controls for the early demo. 0%
* Add the mechanics from 0.75, so people can actually play. 0%
Screenies:
I rendered a single chunk with random blocks destroyed. No UVs yet, so the map is going to be completely texture-less for now.
A wireframe view, in case someone's interested. The way this is done, is that each chunk is a solid mesh where all the cubes are added together to save draw calls. Basically if every cube was rendered individually your graphics card couldn't cope with the immense number of draw calls probably causing it to run out of memory and processing power to render the world.

Later I will post an image of a large map.
Downloads:
I will post the downloads to the initial demo, both the client and the server as soon as I have them basically done so people can try the game out.This demo won't receive any updates unless someone will find a huge bug or something and I will proceed to work on the actual mechanics I want to include later. I also won't be interested in any bugs unless they're to do with terrain and/or networking. Any weapon or mechanic bugs won't interest me unless they're game breaking.
Last edited by UNITiS on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Are you still using unity?
UNITiS
Deuced Up

jdrew wrote:
Are you still using unity?
Yeah, but I've improved rewrote my terrain engine to the point where it's pretty well optimized. I'll probably record some test videos and post them in the thread once I'm happy with it.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

this sounds interesting actually, looking forward to the demo/screenies.
DrDeuce
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Looking forwards to this! Most AoS inspireds are kinda crappy but this sounds actually nice! Keep up the good work Green_BigSmile
Semper
Deuced Up

And I have yet to decide on the actual style of the game, one side of me wants to make a WW2-ish shooter like what AoS wanted to be initially however the other side of me wants to make a Sci-fi shooter.
mixing sci-fi with a ww2 style would be cool.
DrDeuce
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Semper wrote:
And I have yet to decide on the actual style of the game, one side of me wants to make a WW2-ish shooter like what AoS wanted to be initially however the other side of me wants to make a Sci-fi shooter.
Yeah, like alternate reality WW2 in space or something? I think allies v nazis in space is kinda cliched but perhaps you could work around it to make it more original
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Semper wrote:
What, you mean like an alternative history kind of thing. Where both sides have knowledge of sci-fiish technology? Also my first thought was "Iron sky" if anyone's seen it. As a movie it's not that good but the idea is cool.

Another idea I had was to have unsymmetrical gameplay. What I mean by that is to have something like one team being aliens and the other being humans which would cause the base gameplay to be different for both teams. But meh, honestly I'm just planning to have normal Sci-fi gameplay and then later on I will build upon that.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Been waiting for this for a long time. Ace of Spades classic-ish with Ace of Spades steam graphics.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

HoboHob wrote:
Been waiting for this for a long time. Ace of Spades classic-ish with Ace of Spades steam graphics.
Well as I said, I will only release the classic like demo to show off the terrain and let people play while I work on the actual game. I'm not going to have any support for it unless there's a really big problem with it.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

I'll be interested when you actually have something to show, since there have been a bunch of projects like this that have all ended up being vaporware.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

rakiru wrote:
I'll be interested when you actually have something to show, since there have been a bunch of projects like this that have all ended up being vaporware.
I understand, I've seen a bunch of them too. This will probably take a while though, since it's more of a hobby to me.
Ultrablockstar
Deuced Up

A mod needs to move this thread to the place it deserve to be on, note worthy pick indeed Green_BigSmile
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Ultrablockstar wrote:
A mod needs to move this thread to the place it deserve to be on, note worthy pick indeed Green_BigSmile
It's not noteworthy until it actually exists in some form.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Ultrablockstar wrote:
Not until I actually have any gameplay going on. I don't even have the terrain done yet, and even after I finish it I will have to write a ton of networking code as well as add the basic gameplay to the game. This will most definitely take a while, until it can be called: notesworthy.

Edit: Basically what rakiru said.
39 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”