The "New Ace Of Spades"

If it ain't Spades...
115 posts Page 4 of 8 First unread post
Trio
Deuced Up

Yes but them are not so power as in OpenGL 3.3. I will read documentations for old shaders,maybe it will have I need.

Have you seen names of weapon in Counter Strike? It is CV-47,sg-552 etc. This names was made to do not pay to patent owners for AK-47 and SIG-552
Permission of patent owners is really hard stuff. I have not observed it over 9000 times :),as I remember,patient is actual only 25 years. Where Is music,I do not know authors of it(it is 70 years old,and all authors and singers have died) and I do not know just whom permission I need.
Note:Russians have full pirate soft,movie and music Green_Sunglasses1
Trio
Deuced Up

Trio
Deuced Up

Hello,I am testing some new system of engine. I am interested in how much people this application will be ran.

Windows only.
I hope,you will see 3 textured rectangles on green background. Then Write post that it have succeed,and write your OpenGL Version(reed file OpenGL Version.txt to know it). If it will fail,just write your OpenGL version.

Here is the file(zip)
http://dfiles.ru/files/heoayxyib

Thanks.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Upload it to mediafire. I don't like having to wait 60 seconds for it to download.

EDIT: Also Ace of Spades maps are 512x512x64

EDIT2: My GL version is 2.1.2 and your engine test thingy didn't work.
Trio
Deuced Up

Hello

What is model of your video card?

Download test version here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByVuNWC ... sp=sharing

Where is file "How it need look.png",If you will see it or not,say your opengl version and video card model here.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Just decided to post my opinion on what you said so far. (Only the parts I could actually read. No offense.)

First of all I want to talk about the last few paragraphs in the original post.
Trio wrote:
----About Game----
Game will be modable with squirrel scripts,you can make your own weapons,teams,change gameplay,buildings,maybe bots,etc
Game will have cubes like in AOS:60cm size,but will have materials:stone,wood,etc and will have own different healths or will be unbreak able. Also i want add protection for griefers (just do not break 3 blocks of your teammate for each health).
some blocks may be buildings.
Map will be packed in file as columns (1*1*256 blocks,with compression):
100blocks of stone,12 of dirt,45 blocks of air,23 blocks of stone etc. But I am thinking how to make fast voxel map,bit i think it will be like column stacks.

Buildings:turrets,spawners, teleports,guns etc

-----

I think you will like it. Add your ideas here.
Generally it's not a good idea to be THAT ambitious about a new project; especially when you're a beginner. (You might not be, but judging by your post you seem like one. Writing lua scripts isn't really game development and I don't really know about your experience in C++) Anyways, if you're new to C++ I recommend you to start with something smaller. Voxel terrain engines are usually quite complex and while being ambitious isn't bad, sometimes you have to know your limits and move on to something else. Trust me, when I started making games I used to be way too ambitious about my projects, which in most cases led to them failing.
Basically what I wanted to say is that if you're not all that experienced in C++, you should move on to something else. Otherwise if you're up to the challenge, by all means continue and good luck.
Oh yea... One more thing, you really shouldn't be thinking of all the features you want in the game. Write down the most important, core features and later on once you're done working on them you can add more.

Later you gave us a little tiny demo. And I'm using the term "demo" very loosely.
Trio wrote:
Hello

Here are some news.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11482862 ... tf_uLGt7wE

#-visible block

free space under # are invisible compressed blocks
space above # are air and caves.

* is cursor ,you can dig with it.

Of course this is test model of really difficult optimized stack block terrain.
I will add graphics later,this is no hard :)
Now, it's not a bad idea to show off your progress but I'd recommend waiting until you actually have something to show and only then actually showing it off or even opening the thread about your game.

Now on what you said about rendering.
Trio wrote:
3)I have made core of my own engine so

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

glVertex3f(-1,-1,0);
glVertex3f(-1,1,0);
glVertex3f(1,1,0);
glVertex3f(1,-1,0);

glEnd();
I have never coded an engine from scratch, I use engines like Unity3D for my projects. However while this does look simple, you have to keep in mind that a brute force approach (Which this definitely looks like) to rendering is not generally a good idea especially when you're dealing with a game where you're going to have a huge block terrain. But then again as I said I have no experience in coding a custom rendering engine so I might be wrong.

Then you started talking about the map size.
Trio wrote:
And... As I have counted,size of a map of AOS is ~560*560

Because I have my own optimized terrain,each column(column of blocks) will use ~30bytes,so I can make Map with size 2000*2000 with 120mb memory usage. I will use size of cube=0.6m,so map will have size 1.2km vs 300m of AOS.
2000 x 2000
120mb
While the idea of a huge map is really cool and I considered it for my own project, you have to realize that 120mb is a lot for a map which has to be sent to each one of the players while they connect. Do you realize how much bandwidth that would require?

Say we have a 32 player server. Simple maths:
120 * 32 = 3840mb
That's nearly 4gb sent from the server, even if you reduce the number of players to 16 it still is at nearly 2GB. But a map 2000 x 2000 large with only 16 players would be pointless.

And you also have to consider that not everyone has a super fast connection and I bet that no one will sit through a 4 minute map download to play the game.
Trio wrote:
Because I have my own optimized terrain
*Because I WILL TRY TO CREATE an optimized terrain system of my own.
We don't want to know about how you're imagining your game in the future. Instead of talking about it go and actually work on it.

And then throughout the rest of your posts you continue TALKING about what you want your game to be like and what you're going to do, instead of actually doing it.

As I said, if you're really up to the challenge and want to continue working on the game go on and do it; Just try to keep in mind that it's actually more difficult than it seems.
Anyways, good luck with your project.
- UNITiS
Last edited by UNITiS on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

If it's only one huge map, would it be possible to download it beforehand, and when you join a server you only download the modified blocks?
UNITiS
Deuced Up

If it's a premade map which comes with the game, yes. Then you wouldn't even have to download that much, especially at the start of the game. However if he's planning to do it the way 0.75 has it, where you can have a custom server side map which is then downloaded by the client, no. Another alternative could be having some time before the match starts for customisation if there is any, during which the game downloads the map in the background. Still, the server would need quite a lot of bandwidth.
Trio
Deuced Up

UNITiS

nice long long post :)

seriously map of 2000*2000 is 16 times more.it is really much. But sometimes i think map 512*512 is too small,or not? so maybe I should make map of size start begin 256 to 1024?

I have good skill of C++. I say so much because I have released a lot of I have said,and I need just to add it to game(of course I will see a lot of bugs:) ) Of course LUA scripting !=GameDev. But I have begun programming with it.

TBS
I will try to make it. but i do not know how much columns(1*1*256) blocks will be edited before downloading server's map.
I think
For map 256*256 - 60% of columns =40000 columns
For map 512*512 - 20-30% of columns =80000 columns
For map 1000*1000 - 5-10% of columns =100000 columns

it mean ~70000 columns will be edited. It mean 5mb. I think this is no very much.
I think map of AOS have size (one block 3 colors for 1 byte for each=3 bytes),height of map~15blocks*512*512~11mb(without compression of course),so much size of map is realistic!

I hate fog of AOS,it is too near,it is 200 blocks ~120m, It make,my eyes burn then I shot with rifle for far distance.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Trio wrote:
sometimes i think map 512*512 is too small
Well that really depends on how many player you want to have. In AoS a full 32 player server with a map the size of 512 x 512 is actually quite good and doesn't feel all that small.
Trio wrote:
Of course LUA scripting !=GameDev. But I have begun programming with it.
To be fair, I started developing games in GameMaker 8 using GML, and then later I moved on to Unity3D using the unityscript language. I only just started using C# and I'm starting to really enjoy using it.

As for the map size of the map files, I think it really only depends on how you decide to compress it. It is possible to reduce the map size drastically to allow for downloads by simply not sending or saving stuff which you don't need. For example empty space, you could just have your game figure out which co-ordinates have no data and simply fill them with "air".

Edit: I find it really funny how I read code as a real language, like the not equals (!=) bit XD
Trio
Deuced Up

I have post screenshot of cube terrain.This is no stupid array of cubes.it is 2D array of columns. each column is a stack+info like size,height etc. it have compressed data about invisible cubes like:43 cubes of dirt,and visible cubes. Unfortunately I need save column of air as cubes because:
1)It is very,very hard to make special functions to edit it(cut stack,insert to stack,copy n cubes,make x compressed cubes to x visible cubes. It is over 9000 lines of code and it will make building lag.
2)Easy access to cubes.
3)Each block of air have light intensity,each block have information about it's type and health.

If i will make compression of air then user download map then:
1)we need calculate air.
2)server need compress air and repeating blocks it will add lags.
3)user need decompress air and repeating blocks it will add lags.

But without it I just send to user size,stack of cubes. it is very fast and easy.

Ofcourse map files will be compressed.

64cubes height of map is really too small. I can make 256 height. Note:1 byte have 0-255=256 values.why use 1 byte for 64 cubes,then I can use it for 256 Blue_Wink1
SICKfudge
Deuced Up

I tried to read this thread but the spelling gave me cancer.
Off to chemo now
UNITiS
Deuced Up

SICKfudge wrote:
I tried to read this thread but the spelling gave me cancer.
Off to chemo now
Well your name already said SICK. Get it? Heh. Imma go back to my cave now.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Trio wrote:
Hello

What is model of your video card?

Download test version here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByVuNWC ... sp=sharing

Where is file "How it need look.png",If you will see it or not,say your opengl version and video card model here.
EVGA nVidia GeForce 6200/768 MB VRam 4 Fragment Shader units 3 Vertex Shader units 4 Texel units 300 MHz Core clock speed 266 MHz Memory clock speed resting temperature 48 Degrees Celsius working temperature 60 Degrees Celsius, Dx9/OpenGL 2.1.2.

Enough info?
Trio
Deuced Up

HoboHob

Full information :)
nVidia,nice,I will add FBO to OpenGl 3.3 edition,but it wont be in this game because this is no necessary.

UNITiS
Epic kick ;)
115 posts Page 4 of 8 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”