Advance Wars (not Advanced Warfare you silly billy)

If it ain't Spades...
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

So, Advance Wars! The legendary turn-based strategy game for the decade-old Gameboy Advance! For those who have not heard about it yet, again, it is a top-down, 2D, cartoony-in-a-way, turn-based tactics videogame made by Intelligent Studio and published by Nintendo in North America around 2001-ish. An excerpt from Wikipedia:
Code: Select all
The story involves Orange Star Army's efforts in battling the other countries' armies, where Orange Star commanding officer Andy is accused of attacking the other countries' troops for no reason. The game was critically acclaimed, gaining an average score of 92/100 on Metacritic, and an average score of 93% on GameRankings, the highest for any Game Boy Advance game. It was rated the 26th best game made on a Nintendo System in Nintendo Power's Top 200 Games list.
Plot in short: You are a tactical advisor working for Orange Star, a faction modelled after US. So one day, a neighboring country called Blue Moon(basically Russians) attacked Orange Star for no reason, so the COs and you counter-attacked and fucked them up good. Meanwhile, a Green Earth(Nazi Germany) battalion suddenly come out of nowhere with a massive airforce, led by CO Eagle. He accuses one of your CO, Andy, to have attacked Green Earth earlier. He attacks but nope, anti-air is OP(kinda) so he's fucked. Looking for answer, Orange Star passes by Yellow Comet(Japan) just to also get fucked because their leader/CO Kanbei thinks Orange Star attacked them first. And shit happens and after Orange Star fucked everyone else people found out that the whole thing is a conspiracy, orchestrated by another faction called Black Hole, who wants to conquer your world. So all nations band together and successfully repel the threat.

Pictures:

A battle, presumably multiplayer, between three factions: Orange Star, Blue Moon and Green Earth. Commanding Officer (CO) Sami is visible, playing Green Earth.(she is Orange Star's in campaign)

Sami again, this time with Yellow Comet joining the battle.

This game is a decade old. Gameboy Advance now only exists in personal collections, or maybe eBay. No worries though! There are plenty of *cough*emulators*cough* out there for your PC or your phone!
For PC/Mac/Linux, Google one.
For iOS, I reccommend GBA4iOS, if you haven't updated to iOS 8.1.
For Android, there's plenty of them but MyBoy seems pretty good.
Discuss! Who is your fav CO, and what are your strategies? And yes, I also play Advance Wars 2.

I don't have any favs, just so you know. But Andy seems to be the best choice in everything, since he's the all-rounder.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I am called a silly billy ;_;
LeCom

These pics - I used to play a flash game series that looks exactly like what you posted. Never thought it's actually a remake.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

I used to play Advance Wars 2 a little bit, but I was never very good at it. I think I mainly used Colin because he had the power of money ability, and you could make things pretty powerful that way.

I really love the visuals in this game too, especially the battle sequences. maybe I'll give this game another try sometime soon

I'm not sure if it really counts as the same series, but Battalion Wars 2 for Wii is also a pretty fun game. it's sort of like a mix of real-time strategy + third person shooter, where you have individual units, but can control a single unit and play sort of like a normal third person shooter. I don't really remember how similar it was to Advance Wars, but I think it had similar factions
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

I've heard of Battalion Wars, but haven't -and will never- get a chance to play it though.
I played as Colin in a mission, and I didn't really fancy him. Sure, the unit cost is cheaper than everyone else, but the damage tradeoff? Nah. At least you can 'zerg swarm' with infantry/mechs or tanks.
DigitalCuber
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

ERMAGHERD ITS CERL OF DERTY ADVENCED WERFERE Blue_Pistol Green_Sunglasses1
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Thank you for ruining the thread. A-hole.
LeCom

I didn't try Advance Wars, but the screenshots look like this:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/urbansq ... on-nemesis
It also has OP flak (one hit kills planes and infantry and resists very well against tanks and heavy machines).
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Hm, AWS' flaks don't resist tanks very well.
LeCom

MrHaaax wrote:
Hm, AWS' flaks don't resist tanks very well.
Assuming that flash game series is really a remake, they certainly changed damage/armor values.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Depends on how you define 'very well' in this case. With full HP, regular tanks kill flaks in two shots, and medium tanks kill flaks in one.
Flaks are one-hit against infantry/mechs and copters, but two against fighters and bombers.
LeCom

MrHaaax wrote:
Depends on how you define 'very well' in this case. With full HP, regular tanks kill flaks in two shots, and medium tanks kill flaks in one.
Flaks are one-hit against infantry/mechs and copters, but two against fighters and bombers.
It's exactly like that in that flash game, but they one hit kill fighter planes. Maybe they need 3 hits to break a bomber. IIRC they usually take 3-4 hits from basic tanks, that's mainly because units do less damage when their armor points aren't max.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

That's too OP then. A bomber could made a flak useless, if not annihilated.
I liked the delicate balance between all units in Wars; every unit has a counter, nothing is completely OP. 'Upgrades' always have tradeoffs, say Rockets move less further than artillery, or Md tanks move less than Tanks.
Btw, does the flash game you mentioned has Neotanks? The strongest ground unit ingame, and looks like Fuchikomas?
LeCom

MrHaaax wrote:
That's too OP then. A bomber could made a flak useless, if not annihilated.
I liked the delicate balance between all units in Wars; every unit has a counter, nothing is completely OP. 'Upgrades' always have tradeoffs, say Rockets move less further than artillery, or Md tanks move less than Tanks.
Btw, does the flash game you mentioned has Neotanks? The strongest ground unit ingame, and looks like Fuchikomas?
There are normal tanks, and strong ones.
Balancing isn't very good in that flash game. As already mentioned, flaks tear everything into pieces that has light armour, and heavily damage heavy armoured units. A bomber CAN resist a flak IIRC, and even break it, but considering the amount of other units that can attack it, there's no point in doing that. Artillery is OP too, especially the turrets that get healed a bit on every turn and are hard to break (easiest way is using heavy battleships that need 2 hits, but they get immediately attacked by other artillery or short-ranged units)
There are other games in that series; last time I played them is long ago, so I don't exactly remember them. I think they are better balanced.
Btw, starting from the first game, stealth tanks play a big role. They do 2x damage while cloaked (almost instakills normal tanks), however, they are easy to rape once discovered.
Coco
League Participant
League Participant

Wow, nice. Didn't expect anyone here who played these games apart from me. Although, I played Advanced Wars:Dual Strike and Advanced Wars:Dark Conflict(Days of Ruin). As I'm not much of a fan of the GBA games. One of my favourite games I've played since I was little.
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”