Reflex

If it ain't Spades...
18 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hello everybody today i am here to tell you about reflex :-)

it's an arena deathmatch first-person shooter game, currently in a pre-alpha stage of development. the developers have a ton of industry experience and are themselves avid gamers. here's their kickstarter trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQaN3h-S4Wo

seem a lot like quake to you?
it is a lot like quake. one of the developers used to also develop cpma - a hardcore mod for quake 3 which made the game even more fun than vanilla q3 (of course that's subjective; it made the game a whole lot faster and the movement more interesting, which are two big plusses from me).
the reflex developers took cpma's gameplay as a base from which to work and built an entirely new engine for it in their spare time - all three also work fulltime jobs, and they have been spending what time they weren't using to sleep or make money working on this for the last 18 months.

so why play this when you could play quake or any of its innumerable mods?
  • the fast-paced arena fps genre has been slowly dying for several years now. there's a small playerbase spread over far too many mods of quake, and this game has the potential to unite the majority of these players
  • ease of use! a major problem with quake and its various mods has been that it's just too difficult to get into. the developers recognize this and plan on spending a lot of time on making the game accessible and creating high quality built-in tutorials
  • in-game multiplayer map editing. you can make and simultaneously (by yourself or with friends) playtest maps. i don't think i need to explain why this is awesome :)
  • in-game replay editing. fragmovies are ez
  • dedicated servers and lan support
  • high performance and responsive input (targeting 120fps with 1000hz input sampling)
  • awesome spectator features. multiview, casting overlays, on-screen live statistics, spectator vs spectator interaction
  • steamworks integration - friends, achievements, VoIP, player invites + more
  • bots. one of the developers has decades of experience with ai and has the very ambitious goal of creating the best ai ever seen in an fps game. bots will use the tricks, stats, strategy and spam binds of real players
need more? check out their greenlight! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =317361451

Here's a vid from a couple of months ago to give you an idea of where the game was at
http://youtu.be/Khf-kI7j9Eo

Here's a more recent stream of it
http://www.twitch.tv/justnvc/b/557748852
http://www.twitch.tv/justnvc/b/557740951

note that official required specs haven't really been talked about yet, but a "reasonably modern" gpu will be able to run it at 120fps
Last edited by topo on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

You talked me into it, I'm a backer!
Hedgedog
League Participant
League Participant

yes yes it's a pro game everybody back it
Xpert658
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Interesting.
For now, we have Quake Live while we wait.
MR.BadAiming
Deuced Up

i'am hooked
Omen267901
Deuced Up

I'm probably gonna try and back. BTw, can anyone tell me if Quake live is good or the POS some people are calling it?
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

I loved Quake and Ricochet as a kid. This brings back memories.
Xpert658

Omen267901 wrote:
I'm probably gonna try and back. BTw, can anyone tell me if Quake live is good or the POS some people are calling it?
Quake Live's still Quake 3 with "loadouts", "automatic strafe jumping", and "item respawn timers".
Loadouts IMO create new strategy to the game... but yeah, a lot hate on this feature.
Auto strafe jumping is a good addition, holding space is pretty neat to jump fast for those who are shit at this game (like me.)
Item respawn timers are also good for people who are shit at this game.

Overall, try it, it's free, what else do you have to lose?
shaz

backed because this is proest game
shaz

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hey guys, quick update!

The kickstarter has been canned. Reflex itself hasn't. It was greenlit early today (austime), and it will be on early access.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Awesome, so how do I play it?
simongrow250
Deuce

It's good to hear Green_Happy1 Green_Happy1 .. How to play? seems
Interesting Green_Sunglasses1 Green_Sunglasses1
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

simongrow250 wrote:
It's good to hear Green_Happy1 Green_Happy1 .. How to play? seems
Interesting Green_Sunglasses1 Green_Sunglasses1
Green_Stupid
It's not released yet on Steam Green_Happy1 Green_Happy1 Green_Sunglasses1 Green_Sunglasses1 Green_Rifle Green_Pistol2 Green_normal Green_Wink1 Green_D'oh Green_Sleeping Green_Surprised2 Green_Crying Green_Septic Green_Spade
Last edited by 1Shot1Kill on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Omg, that is so cool. Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_Happy1 Green_Happy1 Green_Sunglasses1 Green_tongue Green_tongue Green_normal Green_Sleeping Green_Sleeping Green_Rifle Green_Rifle Green_Pistol2 Green_Pistol2 Green_Spade Green_Spade
18 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”