topo and willy are doing a thing

If it ain't Spades...
260 posts Page 1 of 18 First unread post
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

topo and I had some lengthy discussions about where we'd like to see this game go. We've analysed what can and can't be done with the present beta, the issues associated with altering what we already have, and had a look at what's already being done to achieve any sort of tangible difference in the present community. The conclusion was that to get what we want, and perhaps to get what you want, we're going to have to take it upon ourselves.

The Game
The core of our as-yet unnamed project is development of a game with strong ties to the Ace of Spades beta and the Build and Shoot community, yet entirely separate to allow for total creative and developmental freedom.

I would like to stress that it is unlikely that a playable version of our game will be available before the end of 2014.

We've had a look at what annoys players about the present Ace of Spades beta, decided what we'd like to see done about it, and have come up with the following:

- The 'base' game will be quite similar to the current Ace of Spades beta, but with further focus on building, strategy, and teamwork. We've thrown around the idea of bringing about a 'World War 2' feel to the base game - authentic weapons (though I imagine kv6/similar modding support will be provided), simple vehicle/s, mortars, etc. All of this will ideally be built into the game, and while we will encourage community-driven scripting and modification wherever possible, we'd rather have this stuff ready to go. Map-making etc. will of course still be encouraged. It must be stated that technological specifics and limitations are still being figured out, however we will aim to make this game as non-demanding as reasonably possible.

- Upon completion of a ready-to-release product, we will ask for feedback from the community as to which direction you'd like us to go, or problems with the present game. Additionally, if legally viable, we have plans to integrate present Ace of Spades beta gamemodes into the game itself. A quake-like arena mode and tower of babel are already on the drawing board.

The Ultimate Goal
We have briefly discussed the endgame of this project, which is quite some time away. Ultimately, we'd like to take this to where Ace of Spades was pre-jagex, with community input and continuous updates, eventually resulting in a finished 1.0 release.

Ace of Spades is not dead - there's still limitless potential. Help us help you play the game you always wanted.

Please direct all questions to this thread, or to topo and/or myself via forum pm or IRC query.
Last edited by Willy on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Devlog
August 27th 2014
Willy wrote:
Update, update, update!

topo has (somewhat) rendered a cube!
August 28th 2014
Willy wrote:
We have a CUBE!!!!!!

[22:27:23] <@topo> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[22:27:32] <@topo> about to start reading .vxl maps
[22:27:42] <@topo> then ill do the minimap
[22:27:43] <@topo> then actually render the map itself

weeeeeeeeeee
September 11th 2014
topo wrote:
yeah it was, going with prolog instead

but i'm actually using c++ :p
i might be embedding a small scripting language at some point to help handle ui and animation stuff but idk that's way down the line

sorry for not doing anything for the last couple of weeks, just put in map loading and 2d overlays last night check it out
(that's island.vxl which i chose because it's the best map)
LeCom wrote:
Concerning opengl, it's probably bearable as a default renderer if it works at least as fast as in Iceball, although one can't really influence the speed of opengl. It will probably be possible to make a hack that will use Voxlap.
the goal is to first get it running. once i have a base on which to work and some benchmarks i'll be putting a fair amount of effort into optimizing not just the renderer but everything else too - my personal goal is to have this perform similarly to q3a (although a little overhead due to the dynamic terrain is unavoidable), and to have similar minimum hardware requirements. eye candy is definitely not my focus.
i don't believe that combining opengl and voxels necessarily makes for a slow program. there is a ton of stuff that you can do that will influence opengl's performance. i get a stable 300+ fps on openspades with lowest settings on an integrated gpu on a laptop i got 2 years ago. i can't tell what is causing your poor framerate, but i don't think that opengl is the (only) culprit ;(
that said, maybe (as a very low priority, and no promises) i could get around to adding a voxlap renderer.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

also reserved
Juxta
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Isn't this basically the same as this, just now with more willy:

http://www.buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10596

Also double posting is bad.
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Juxta wrote:
Isn't this basically the same as this, just now with more willy:

http://www.buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10596

Also double posting is bad.
pretty much, a lot of the ideas have come from that thread, now with a clear direction :D
shaz

i congratulate you on your wedding

ps. i am watching u
Teeth
League Participant
League Participant

what is this. Nvm i come back later
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

congratulations on your bundle of joy, which is the mother of the baby?
Xpert658
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

no smg pls
shaz

ok re-read the thread properly

10/10, can't wait - keep us posted

#teamWilpo
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

this is so it comes up on "your posts"