topo and willy are doing a thing

If it ain't Spades...
260 posts Page 12 of 18 First unread post
LeCom

No idea what you want to tell me with these 2 quotes cause no matter how you use opengl, it will still use the same algorithm to render stuff, and just render something different. And this starts to become really off-topic.
topo wrote:
EldredChandler wrote:
People who can actually aim in a FPS game should be rewarded, since that's what an FPS game is.
topo wrote:
being able to aim better than your opponent will win you 80% of your fights in .75, regardless of your positioning, your health relative to your opponent's, etc. which is a really bad thing imo...
tldr players are rewarded far too much for being able to move a mouse around and that's something i'm looking forward to changing :-)
i did not say that ability to aim shouldn't be rewarded. i said that it's currently rewarded much more than it should be. aim isn't all a (good) game is. when one player can keep 10 others trapped in spawn simply by clicking once on their heads repeatedly for 30-60 seconds, something's broken.
AoS wasn't intended to be a pure FPS. It should actually be a mix of FPS, strategy game and building, all 3 having the same share of the game. Right now, we only have the FPS part, and that's why it's like that. I also think that it's best to not reward any kills at all, it's better to add some OP power to the intel or a huge "reward" for playing the actual game instead of doing shit like randomly killing people :P
topo wrote:
LeCom wrote:
No problem bro, the AoS classic mode will even be the default game. Arena servers will stay the same, but you can respawn while the round goes, can break blocks and maps are bigger :P
you know more about our project than we do :O
A remake of something like .54? ;)
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

LeCom wrote:
I also think that it's best to not reward any kills at all, it's better to add some OP power to the intel or a huge "reward" for playing the actual game instead of doing shit like randomly killing people :P
I agree and disagree. I think there should be rewards for completing objectives, but I think the main emphasis should be on teamwork. If you medic someone, save their back, call in enemy locations, build defenses, think as a team, and work as a team you should (even though this would be hard to detect) get some nice perks. Sticking with people in squads could also do things like.

"If within 10 blocks of a teammate for over 1 minute add random chance to reduce damage taken from anywhere from 0 to 3 damage."

Just an example, but I think some simple and small perks that could all add up when working as a teammate properly would be nice. Another example would be that if you call in a location of an enemy and a teammate kills that enemy you get .1% faster reload for the next 3 reloads.

There's a lot of things that you could do and what I hope for most in this build (If possible) would be a randomness factor. Sort of like in Robokill, 3089, and many other RPG-esque games. Adding in an element of random so that you have a chance of spawning with for instance a rifle that does body damage normally of 30 damage to possibly get anywhere from -3.0 damage to +3.0 damage with +10.0 range to -.10.0 range. This would have you spawn with a different rifle every time. Sometimes your rifle would shoot slightly farther with slightly less damage or slightly shorter with high damage. Lots of things could be tweaked and a shop system could even be implemented, so that you could buy new weapons, ammo, and very small upgrades to your guns to encourage staying on the server longer. These upgrades could even be used on a master account (forum account for instance). Your upgrades would show up along with your stats in game. If a permanent upgrade system was put in place however, you would have to make the upgrades extremely small, but cheap to keep people interested. So, for instance. 100 "points" in game to get a +.001 increase in rifle damage.

Lots of rambling and ideas, but I think some sort of system to keep people involved would be good as long as it doesn't turn into COD with golden AKs or whatever it is nowadays.
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I don't know if we'd go so far to try and force such gameplay... but we'd definitely steer it in that direction. I think teamwork should remain authentic and be it's own reward -- iirc older versions would show player locations to the player who capped the intel for a period of time. This in itself would be the reward, but it could be further expanded upon by that player telling his team-mates where the enemy has dug in
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

I definitely think some sort of upgrade system might be nice. (In case you couldn't tell by the essay)

But at the same time, I think it could be bad. Once you max out your levels in a game you get bored and eventually leave or start over from the beginning. And for newbies the "high-level" players can seem OP, so on second guess I'm starting to think it's a bad idea.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

I have a few suggestions-

I see a lot of things from People here about WW2/WW1 based gameplay, this tends to be fairly slow paced and tactical. While that does suit a certain player base, I would like to add that if you want to draw in new players, you must offer a “modern” feel/game mode/weapon set. I like the “rifleblue.kv6 and riflegreen.kv6” idea as that can really add variation, and cater for many players. I wouldn’t call it that though, maybe “riflealpha” and “riflebeta”, so that the teams names aren’t so based around colours.

The important thing with any project though, is that you have a core focus. If you try to cater for all/ please everyone, that may not work out as it becomes a situation whereby everyone is a bit unimpressed with the game, not the majority happy with it. If the core focus of the game is WW2, then go for it, but there should be some variation- maybe there should be “Officially” endorsed mods which change everything.

I would like some kind of grenade launcher (We have Panzershreck/PIAT of WW2, RPG2/RPG7, LAW, etc). Also a melee weapon as we have mentioned. I don’t think OpenGL should be a problem personally, but I’m not a game programmer so you can ignore that if you want.
What would be really cool would be ranged artillery. This has been around for 100+ years, and would apply to multiple eras and areas. It would have to be balanced correctly, as not to be OP or annoying.

We could emphasise the fact that with a voxel-based map, everything is destructible/buildable. This is one of the reasons that I play AoS, and I would like this to be enhanced- why not have different strengths/shapes/sizes of bricks?

I would like to know what the branding and direction of the game will be, then it will be easier to contribute. :D Green_Happy1
Last edited by Warp on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EldredChandler wrote:
That's only really an issue if you plan to have everyone spawn in the same place always.
and that could be one of the things i end up changing in an effort to reduce the reward for being able to point at heads. as i've said more than once, almost nothing is concrete yet. thank you for the suggestion :)
LeCom wrote:
AoS wasn't intended to be a pure FPS. It should actually be a mix of FPS, strategy game and building, all 3 having the same share of the game. Right now, we only have the FPS part, and that's why it's like that. I also think that it's best to not reward any kills at all, it's better to add some OP power to the intel or a huge "reward" for playing the actual game instead of doing shit like randomly killing people :P
in the end, if people want to play tdm instead of ctf there's nothing anybody can do to stop them. i do think though that individual gamemodes should have more support from the client... for example, in a ctf game, show teammates' (for 5v5s or smaller, or squadmates' for larger games) health/location/whether they have the flag or not on the hud. in a tdm game, the same (obviously sans the flag bit), and maybe a bar something like this: Image to show how close each team is to reaching the win condition. stuff like that, i think, would help show new players the point of the gamemode that they're playing and how they can help out.
Warp wrote:
I have a few suggestions-
I see a lot of things from People here about WW2/WW1 based gameplay, this tends to be fairly slow paced and tactical. While that does suit a certain player base, I would like to add that if you want to draw in new players, you must offer a “modern” feel/game mode/weapon set.
that's a good point and one i've been thinking about quite a bit. i feel like i'm saying "i don't know" a lot... i definitely know the type of game that i want to play, and i also know that it's not going to suit everybody. i don't know how the game is going to turn out because i'm going to be balancing what i want as a player against what i want as a developer... i'm doing this both for something that i want to be able to have fun playing and because i want to provide it to others (you guys!) as an enjoyable gaming experience.
I like the “rifleblue.kv6 and riflegreen.kv6” idea as that can really add variation, and cater for many players. I wouldn’t call it that though, maybe “riflealpha” and “riflebeta”, so that the teams names aren’t so based around colours.
truth! with the extent of modding possible in this type of game, giving descriptive names to teams doesn't really make sense. team a/b or team 1/2 or something like that would work much better :)
The important thing with any project though, is that you have a core focus. If you try to cater for all/ please everyone, that may not work out as it becomes a situation whereby everyone is a bit unimpressed with the game, not the majority happy with it. If the core focus of the game is WW2, then go for it, but there should be some variation- maybe there should be “Officially” endorsed mods which change everything.
again, truth. i realize that catering to everyone is impossible. at the same time i'm not going to deliberately make this difficult to enjoy.
some form of official modding platform is an idea i'm interested in experimenting with :)
I would like some kind of grenade launcher (We have Panzershreck/PIAT of WW2, RPG2/RPG7, LAW, etc). Also a melee weapon as we have mentioned. I don’t think OpenGL should be a problem personally, but I’m not a game programmer so you can ignore that if you want.
What would be really cool would be ranged artillery. This has been around for 100+ years, and would apply to multiple eras and areas. It would have to be balanced correctly, as not to be OP or annoying.
weapons are a big part of the reason i felt like a new game was the way to go. rest assured that we'll be testing many options extensively for balance... i want all of the weapons to feel satisfying to use without compromising gameplay.
We could emphasise the fact that with a voxel-based map, everything is destructible/buildable. This is one of the reasons that I play AoS, and I would like this to be enhanced- why not have different strengths/shapes/sizes of bricks?
another thing i've thought about, and another thing that will have to be tested ;)
I would like to know what the branding and direction of the game will be, then it will be easier to contribute. :D
this would be a lot easier to talk about on irc (preferred) or skype or something. i have sort of an idea what i want, but i don't know if willy shares all of my opinions at this stage and i can't really put what i want into words ;(
if you have specific questions though i'm more than happy to answer - but that sort of conversation isn't really suited to a forum :b

WALL OF TEXT
Last edited by topo on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

tbh I don't use IRC much- what network and channel should I use?

Thanks for the answers, from what you are saying the game should be really good :)
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

if you're into webchat, http://quacknet.org:10080/?channels=moit
if not then irc.quacknet.org/#moit

(if you're unfamiliar with irc just know that i'm not always there, even if i'm in the channel. i'm always connected but not always at the computer or watching the screen :)
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

When can we expect the Alpha/Pre-Alpha?
LeCom

Warp wrote:
Lol (he just started coding the engine)
Xpert658
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

When can we expect non-cube screenshots or maybe even concept art?
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Not for a while, give it a month at least
Xenon
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Willy wrote:
Not for a while, give it a month at least
I give it 25 days.
MushieWarden
Artist
Artist

Sign me up for tester pl0x
If it's ok with you guys of course.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

LeCom wrote:
Warp wrote:
Lol (he just started coding the engine)
I have read the thread, and talked to Topo a bit in IRC, I am aware.

Just curious.
260 posts Page 12 of 18 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”