Age of Empires III

If it ain't Spades...
18 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chase_UC wrote:
I hope this won't be kinda off topic, but as someone who played a variety of game genres (FPS, RPG, horror, etc) and would like to try an RTS game, would you guys recommend AoE II or AoE III? Or one of the Age of Mythology games?

I'm interested in something new, so yeah, complete RTS newbie here, lol.
Age of Empires 2 is the classic, but Age of Mythology is probably the most balanced in terms of being not rush-centered. Age of Empires 3 is a dumbed down in economic micromanagement and focuses more on a realistic rank and file infantry with cannons doing most of the damage.

Personally, I'd go Age of Mythology. It's fun, intuitive, the balance between civilizations is superb, the scenario editor is beautiful, and boomers actually have a method of victory over turtlers, unlike in every other game in the series. Rushing is also difficult to pull off, but effective if performed correctly.

In Age of Empires 2, everyone plays as the Huns and then cavalry stomps in the first 10 minutes. While in AoM, it seems most people play as Norse, the reigning champion is actually an Egyptian player, with several really potent Greek players in the midst. (There's only 4 civilizations)
Merseybeat
Deuced Up

first two were godtier is the series still any good (read: the same)?
Carmen5
Deuce

I would not go as far to say I am a god at AOE however I have played the game for so many years now and have played a very similar game called Cossacks Back to War which is in all honesty better than Age of Empires you can pick it up for around £2 and you can lose yourself in it for countless hours cannot recommend enough :)
18 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”