First paid DLC

The commercial [Steam] version of Ace of Spades, remade by Jagex.
Incompatible with AoS Classic.
30 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Sniped wrote:

February 14th is special for a number of reasons, but no more so than the release of our first DLC, the St Valentines Day Massacre pack!

Based on the epic mob conflict of the late 1920s, the new pack will include a whole host of awesome new content:
  • 6 new character skins
  • 1 new character class
  • 3 new weapons - Tommy Gun, Snub Nosed Pistol, Molotov Cocktail
  • 2 new maps (Chicago and Alcatraz)
  • 2 game modes (VIP and Territories)

The two factions, headed by voxAl Capone and Box Moran, will see you join the Southside Chicago Squares or the North Side Dueces and take each other on in one of our two brand new maps – Chicago, a huge, sprawling city map with tons of great places to host an epic shootout, and Alcatraz, the infamous, inescapable prison island of the coast of San Francisco.

The two new game modes are launching exclusively for this DLC pack and are designed to take advantage of the new map designs. VIP will see one player spawn as the mob boss (voxAl Capone or Box Moran), and it’ll be up to the rest of the crew to defend them. Territories is a take on multi-hill, which will see each faction fighting to take control of parts of the city, showing their gang’s domination.

To keep things fresh for everybody, we’ll also be launching a brand new free map – Neon Tokyo. This intense map is one of many free pieces of content we’ll be releasing over the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for future updates.

So which gang will you join? Southside Chicago Squares or the North Side Dueces?
This game has gone down the drain. I was seriously going to buy AoS next sale, but no more.
Sn3ky
Deuced Up

>:( yep. I knew jagex would pull something to get more money out of people. I am uninstalling JAGEX's AoS as of this post.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I think we all know this is why they took the skinning out, now I wonder when they will just shut it down
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

Paid and DLC are two things I'm not sure of - that and the use of gangsters, which is further down the line of the main 1.0 silliness.
That said, VIP is a game-mode I have been interested in seeing for a fair while..
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

a DLC for AoS really? Green_Septic that sucks!
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Personally, I think this DLC doesn't sound too bad (how many mobster-based FPS's do you know?), although paid DLC will split the v1.0 community even more. The VIP game-mode sounds good, and I actually thought of trying to create a similar mode a few months back, although my idea was centred more on getting the VIP from one area to another rather than hole them up somewhere and defend them.

At the end of the day, Jagex are a business, and will probably continue to milk the game for all it's worth before ditching it. The only problem with that model is that the average age of AoS's fanbase is quite young, meaning a lot don't have the funds to pay for DLC after DLC.
Ki11aWi11
Mapper
Mapper

Influx wrote:
At the end of the day, Jagex are a business, and will probably continue to milk the game for all it's worth before ditching it. The only problem with that model is that the average age of AoS's fanbase is quite young, meaning a lot don't have the funds to pay for DLC after DLC.
Honestly, don't these large corporations have analysts or something that tell them this? Honestly, if you played 0.75 for even a few hours you would realise that there were two crowds, the older 15+ age group that enjoyed the tactical team based shooter which allowed you to use building to gain advantage, and the younger kid age group that were drawn to the minecraft with guns aspect. You'd think that they would of had some sort of analyst or market researcher that would have realised that by going for the younger age group with classes and drill guns and the like, that they would have somewhat alienated the other crowd, and that younger age groups don't have employment, and the associated disposable income that would allow them to buy the game (let's face it, AoS 1.0 has a much smaller player count than the Beta at it's peak due to it not being free) and then continue to support it by purchasing paid DLC. From Day 1 of them taking over their whole strategy to making money with this game has been flawed and has backfired...

We all know that Jagex has taken a game that had a lot of potential with the way Ben and Matt were taking it, and they've somehow managed to fuck it up beyond belief: crap sales (I'm really hoping they've made less money than they spent purchasing it from Ben), a community that was very very supportive, involved and happy that they've angered, alienated and for the most part stabbed in the back, and a game that has non of the appeal of the beta and as a result has super shit reviews. How have they not realised this???
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

Influx wrote:
Personally, I think this DLC doesn't sound too bad (how many mobster-based FPS's do you know?), although paid DLC will split the v1.0 community even more. The VIP game-mode sounds good, and I actually thought of trying to create a similar mode a few months back, although my idea was centred more on getting the VIP from one area to another rather than hole them up somewhere and defend them.

That might be a good territory control based game mode. Set way points and the VIP has to get there in x amount of time and not die
SIMOX
Deuced Up

Oh well you had to expect something like this from Jagex. And that's just a start. More of these silly DLC's will come and game will look even more silly like Battlefield heroes with all those idiotic clothes.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

iKingSGC wrote:
sniped wrote:
We're working on getting servers to South America Jamp, as well as other places in the world.

I'm afraid that your guesses are wrong Mace.
Yeah, Jagex aint broke. they released the game, raked in the cash from release and both steam sales, ignored its community for a month, released a update that brouight classic back but ruined 1.0 gameplay, game went on sale, raked in even more cashed, stopped ignroing community in a way, told us that we cant have what we want but they are going to be offering the option to pay more money to host "custom matches" on thier horrific server space.

And you know whats the most disgusting....is that this obvious cash grab will actually work, people will actually pay that fee.

Sniped, I told you a while ago I wasnt on a witchhunt....but now, your company disgusts me. You only care about the money and while that wont be your downfall, your player base will get bored of this game, they will leave, and you only have yourself to blame.

TheiKing Just now
And to add to my original point, yesterday they announce DLC that will cost money but they didnt announce what the price will be. they litterally said "This is the first optional DLC and there will be a cost involved."

This company doesnt care about game content that adds value to the game itself, they just want to bleed us dry. The Valentines pack is going to be the one to contain the Egypt map from the looks of it...something that is in every promotional picture....isnt even going to be for freen.

This truely disgusts me on more factors than just cost. You already have a fragmented community. There are people who like the game, people who cant stand the game, people who cant play the game because it lags so much due to the low quality of the servers. To start off with you dont have a stellar number of active players.

Now your going to be introducing paid DLC that will just fragment the community even further making the already low number of populated servers even fewer.

its all about the money while they can make it, community be damned.
Sniped wrote:
The Egypt map will be free.
gg jagex.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

OMG a single FREE map!

What it's a start...
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Wait, we're finally getting the Egypt map? The one that's been around so long that it was used in pre-release promotional images and video?
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

YEah for free!
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

One thing that really annoys me is when companies make something, then withhold it from the fans for some time to "release" it as DLC.

The fact that the Egypt map has been in promo shots, as rakiru stated, means this has just been sitting gathering dust on someone's hard drive over at Jagex since the game's release. Why has it taken them over 3 months to finally get round to putting it in-game? If it was made, it should have been in since day 1, rather than spoon-feeding the playerbase premade maps that they decided to take out of the initial release so they can skimp on the time and effort required to design a new map.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Well thanks to the DLC, our player base is increasing!
30 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 1.0 Discussion”