It got updated

The commercial [Steam] version of Ace of Spades, remade by Jagex.
Incompatible with AoS Classic.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


They updated it

And added a DLC

And forgot they had a forum

Even though the people who don't suck remembered that they had a forum

Right now I'm a bit apprehensive but if there's any sign that they'll actually get regular minor updates I may jump back in and even start recommending it. After all, if they actually get their shit together, the 1.x forum community will be back in action, and that will be a good thing as they're mostly good bastards.

But fuck that DLC.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


fuck you too. No, get that shit out of here
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:53 pm


Marisa Kirisame wrote:
They updated it

And added a DLC

And forgot they had a forum

Even though the people who don't suck remembered that they had a forum

Right now I'm a bit apprehensive but if there's any sign that they'll actually get regular minor updates I may jump back in and even start recommending it. After all, if they actually get their shit together, the 1.x forum community will be back in action, and that will be a good thing as they're mostly good bastards.

But fuck that DLC.
They took forever to update their dead game, and to top it off it's paid DLC? I feel sorry for the people who will actually buy that shit.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


fucking die you faggot

also usually nominating yourself to be "remembered" is never gonna work.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:53 pm


bloodfox wrote:
fucking die you faggot
no ufocking cheeky cunt
Icarus North
Green Master Race
Green Master Race
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:16 pm


I saw this too-- iirc Aloha had an announcement about JaGex quitting on AoS 1.x to work on BnL. We all know what's happened to BnL:

- People didn't really play the beta.
- It's suffered as a paid game.
- It's suffered even further as a free2play.

Conclusion: Since BnL is dead as fuck, JaGex is falling back to milk more money from 1.x with this new DLC, AFTER stating they'd give up development of 1.x in december 2014.
Kuunikal
Deuced Up
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm


I talked with one of the ex-developers, and they said that the dev team is nonexistent. After the update in 2014, the game's team perished. JaGex probably just outsourced the last update to some devs temporarily. There are probably not going to be any more updates, and I have a feeling that the forums are going to close very, very soon (within a year, I bet).

Too bad I found out about Ace of Spades 0.x & 1.x right when it was dying (early 2014). It always breaks my heart when I see all of the old posts on the forum archives for both games. Every game has a lifespan, though, and I'm grateful that there's still aloha.pk which isn't dead.
longbyte1
Deuced Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 pm


Kuunikal wrote:
I talked with one of the ex-developers
when? where? why?
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


Kuunikal wrote:
I talked with one of the ex-developers
Was his name Tom by any chance? (I only know of one other developer.)
Kuunikal wrote:
JaGex probably just outsourced the last update to some devs temporarily.
I suspect they may have temporarily got some developers from in-house to work on it, actually.
Kuunikal wrote:
There are probably not going to be any more updates, and I have a feeling that the forums are going to close very, very soon (within a year, I bet).
The 1.x forums have been dead for over a year, mostly because a lot of the people who were on there were sick of the state 1.x was in and once
Kuunikal wrote:
and I'm grateful that there's still aloha.pk which isn't dead.
I'd say they're kinda keeping the game alive, but kinda killing the game at the same time. They're pretty much the only servers that have admins that don't suck arse, and the babel server is usually the only place you can legitimately get your arse kicked, but the rifle will still never be able to hit shit properly, and for the last fucking time I have done the math, and I have even done a very basic comparison with the spreads.
Kuunikal
Deuced Up
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm


Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Was his name Tom by any chance? (I only know of one other developer.)
Yup.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
The 1.x forums have been dead for over a year, mostly because a lot of the people who were on there were sick of the state 1.x was in and once
I find this really sad, because the game is still able to be updated yet nobody plays it. AoS Classic cannot be [easily] updated, yet there's more people playing this than the Steam version. I think this is all due to people hating Jagex and boycotting the Steam release, which is pretty stupid, because it isn't that shitty of a game.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
I'd say they're kinda keeping the game alive, but kinda killing the game at the same time. They're pretty much the only servers that have admins that don't suck arse, and the babel server is usually the only place you can legitimately get your arse kicked...
I would agree with them keeping the game alive. They have a good community [compared to the BnS one] and have good admins. I disagree with you saying that they're also killing the game. Sure, they're usually one of the only servers that's populated, but isn't that still a good thing? I recently suggested for them to make a Goon Haven tribute server with the Assault map, and within the same day, Danke [an admin] made a server. It was populated almost instantly. My point with this is that they are constantly trying to improve the game rather than kill it, by adding new things that players want/miss.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
...but the rifle will still never be able to hit shit properly, and for the last fucking time I have done the math, and I have even done a very basic comparison with the spreads.
Yeah, if only we could all easily migrate to 0.76, so the accuracy could be somewhat improved. :P
Kuunikal
Deuced Up
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm


longbyte1 wrote:
Kuunikal wrote:
I talked with one of the ex-developers
when? where? why?
2 days ago on Steam, because I was interested in what's happening development-wise.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


Kuunikal wrote:
AoS Classic cannot be [easily] updated, yet there's more people playing this than the Steam version. I think this is all due to people hating Jagex and boycotting the Steam release, which is pretty stupid, because it isn't that shitty of a game.
It used to be more popular than this version. But, much like this version, they would often leave bugs and annoyances in for months at a time. Block N Load comes along, most of the people on the forums go "this is basically AoS 2", and move along to it.
Kuunikal wrote:
I would agree with them keeping the game alive. They have a good community [compared to the BnS one] and have good admins. I disagree with you saying that they're also killing the game.
Not aloha.pk as a whole, but there seems to be an awful lot of stress on "never change from 0.75".
Kuunikal wrote:
My point with this is that they are constantly trying to improve the game rather than kill it, by adding new things that players want/miss.
Y'know what I miss? Everyone on the server. With my gun. This hasn't been fixed in over 3 years. Well, it sorta has, but they refuse to make the "patch" official.
Kuunikal wrote:
Yeah, if only we could all easily migrate to 0.76, so the accuracy could be somewhat improved. :P
Doesn't improve it that much. But 79% is better than 35%. If it were to happen today, I think we'd be mostly free of aimbots for the first month perhaps, unless there's already a few well-known 0.76 ones still available.

But then we'd eventually be back at square 1, although the issue where headshots don't always kill can be patched serverside, so not quite square 1.

The argument against migrating to 0.76 is that they'd lose their playerbase. That argument doesn't hold as much water these days as a sizable chunk of the community uses OpenSpades (about 10%?), and they seem to stress the use of the Build and Shoot Launcher.

In my view the only solution that would have any chance of getting the green light from the BnS staff would be to extend OpenSpades along the lines of PowerThirst (but w/o the VOXLAP legacy cruft) and have people put up a bunch of extended-protocol servers.

Oh, and somehow get a VOXLAP equivalent, but let's not go with the unrealistic side of their demands here, so we'll scrap that plan. I already shot down the "but muh toaster" argument (TL;DR get a raspi 2 or 3 you cheapskate).

But the most plausible way to revive AoS in a spiritual sense is to find another community to unleash your not-legacy-cruft-bound beast on.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ace of Spades 1.0 Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests