New Update That Includes Custom KV6 Support and More!

The commercial [Steam] version of Ace of Spades, remade by Jagex.
Incompatible with AoS Classic.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

http://www.aceofspades.com/community/pa ... review-r75
TauOmicronMu wrote:
A huge preview update hits Ace of Spades today ready for you to test!
Hi Guys,

Over the past few weeks, I have been trawling the forums, and liaising with the community managers in order to find out what you guys wanted to see in game. I’m happy to say that we have been able to get a long list of patches and updates ready for you to preview on the community beta!

If you don’t know who I am already, here is a quick introduction: I’m Tom, aka TauOmicronMu, and I have been working as an intern on Ace of Spades over the Summer. Other than that, head on over to my introduction thread in the Forum Lounge if you want to know more ^_^
Today brings you what I would like to dub the “(almost) everything you asked for” update!

This update is available as a Community Beta Now! Follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to play…

Firstly, a highly-requested change: Kv6 Modding!

We have re-enabled the modding of Kv6 models in your client, whilst imposing size restrictions, in order to prevent cheating. This means that you will now be able to create, distribute, and use your own Kv6 models in your game! (Maximum Dimensions: x = 48; y = 68; z = 38).

As well as this, we have made some changes to the vote kicking system. These are as follows:
· Kicks can no longer be initiated if the target player is in a team with 2 or less players.
· Spectators can no longer initiate a vote kick.
· If the kicker is on the opposite team to the target player, the kicker’s vote is no longer counted.
· The pass threshold for a vote now takes into account half of the players in the team, rather than the entire game.
· Vote kicks are now anonymous.

Also included in this preview are a few Menu and HUD changes:
· The Colour Palette has been re-enabled.
· The position of the Colour Palette on the HUD has been changed.
· Server Browser and Public Match have switched places on the Menu Screen.
· Public Match has been renamed to Random Match.

We have also made some highly-requested changes to spawn points on a number of maps, along with a few smaller map-changes:
· Added 3 Block Crate drop points to the “London” map.
· Changed the Blue team spawns on the “Ancient Egypt” map, to place the team inside of the building, not on top.
· Added two extra spawn points per team to the “Atlantis” map. These are excluded during the Multi-Hill game mode.
· Added a second Blue team spawn on “Bran Castle”, slightly further behind the castle.
· Moved the position of the Blue team spawn points on the “Frontier” map, in order to make the locations more balanced during the Multi-Hill game mode.
· Added new spawn points for both teams to the “Great Wall” Map.
· Added a new Multi-Hill Hill spawn to the “London” map.
· Moved the spawns of both teams on the “Tokyo Neon” map. You will now spawn inside/just outside of the buildings, as opposed to on top/on top of trees (This applies to all mode except for Zombie).
· Moved the spawns of both teams on the “Arctic Base” map. Neither team spawns with a clear advantage now.
· Moved the spawns of both teams on the “Colosseum” map.

The profanity filter has also received a quick lick of paint, with quite a few words being removed.

A big issue with the current game was the balancing. Some weapons were too powerful, some were too weak, and very few were just right. After looking through a lot of community feedback, and having lots of chats with Sally especially, we have introduced a host of balancing changes. These should help to make the game much smoother, and more enjoyable:

· The Pickaxe has had its player damage reduced.
· The Pickaxe is also less powerful against blocks.
· The Pickaxe now swings slower.
· The Combat knife has had its damage dramatically increased.
· The Combat knife is now slower.
· Pistol headshot damage has been slightly reduced.
· The shoot interval of a Pistol has been increased.
· The recoil on a pistol has been significantly increased.
· The Pistol has had its range reduced.
· The Triple Barrelled RPG now has a larger blast radius.
· The Triple Barrelled RPG now does twice as much block damage.
· The Triple Barrelled RPG now deals slightly less damage to players
· Regular grenades now deal higher damage to blocks.
· The Bolt-action sniper has had its maximum ammo reduced to 7.
· The Semi-Auto rifle has had its maximum ammo reduced to 15.
· The regular RPG now causes less damage to blocks.
· The pistol now has a slightly slower reload speed.
· The SMG’s effective range has been slightly increased.
· The Marksman can now fall a maximum of 30 blocks before death from full health.
· The Marksman and Commando have had their speeds slightly reduced.
· The Engineer’s speed has been slightly increased.
· The Miner now starts with 0 blocks.
· The Commando’s Shovel now digs at a slower rate.
· Dynamite now has a maximum ammo of 1.
· Dynamite now does more damage to player-placed blocks.
· Dynamite now has an expanded blast radius.
· Reduced the Torso damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
· Slightly reduced the Arms Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
· Slightly reduced the Legs Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
· Slightly reduced the Headshot Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper to balance it more with regards to the Bolt-Action Sniper.
· Slightly increased the shoot interval of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
· Slightly increased the speed of the Crowbar.

Another small change we have made is to the Auto-Join feature on teams. The default balance for teams is now 3, meaning that each team can have a capacity of 3 extra players before players are force-joined to the other team.

Finally, a few miscellaneous changes that you might be interested in:
· The Commando now has access to the Fort Wall prefab.
· The Scout now as access to the Caltrop prefab.
· The Engineer now has access to the Bridge prefab.
· The Engineer now has access to the “Super Pole” prefab.
· The Pickaxe has been removed from the Miner’s loadout.
· The Pistol now recoils upwards.
· The Prefab lag should have been reduced.

If you want to check this out, head to your Steam Library, and right-click Ace of Spades. From there, click “Betas”, and change the dropdown option from “NONE – Opt out of all beta programs” to “community – Pre-Release Preview”. If you have any constructive feedback or suggestions, feel free to post below – We’ll endeavour to read all of your suggestions and feedback, and make amendments, should they be necessary.

On a final note guys, like I said earlier, I’m here as an intern, and unfortunately, all intern placements have to reach an end. Mine will reach its end this Friday. I’m sad to be leaving you – I have had an amazing 5 weeks, and I wish I could stay and do more. I hope that this update brings you everything you wanted. I’ll make sure to stay active on the forums, both as an Ex-Staff member, but also as a fellow player ^_^

Thanks guys, and enjoy!

Tom (TauOmicronMu) and the Ace of Spades Team.
Last edited by 1Shot1Kill on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Hm. Maybe the new AOS has a chance.... HA! Naw.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

It's already dying. This is pretty much worthless.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

This beta preview is now incorporated as an update for the normal version of Ace of Spades Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/aceofsp ... 4917882026
SallyTheButcher wrote:
Update Highlights

Ability to mod KV6 weapon & class skins
Vote kick improvements
Auto-balance adjustment to allow flexibility to join the same team when playing with friends in public matches
A lot of balancing changes throughout the game as requested by the community, including a nerf to the overall Marksman class & a buff to the Engineer class.
Map improvements
Menu improvements
Reintroduction of the colour palette throughout the game

Modding
Restrictions on KV6 modding have been lifted & so modifying your local weapon and class appearance is now possible. The only limit is the maximum dimensions: x = 48; y = 68; z = 38.
The official guide to modding can be found here.

Vote Kick Improvements
Kicks can no longer be initiated if the target player is in a team with 2 or less players.
Spectators can no longer initiate a vote kick.
If the kicker is on the opposite team to the target player, the kicker’s vote is no longer counted.
The pass threshold for a vote now takes into account half of the players in the team, rather than the entire game.
Vote kicks are now anonymous.

Known Issues
There are a few cases where your name will be revealed rather than remaining anonymous

Balancing Notes
The Pickaxe has had its player damage reduced.
The Pickaxe is also less powerful against blocks.
The Pickaxe now swings slower.
The Combat knife has had its damage dramatically increased.
The Combat knife is now slower.
Pistol headshot damage has been slightly reduced.
The shoot interval of a Pistol has been increased.
The recoil on a pistol has been significantly increased.
The Pistol has had its range reduced.
The Triple Barrelled RPG now has a larger blast radius.
The Triple Barrelled RPG now does twice as much block damage.
The Triple Barrelled RPG now deals slightly less damage to players
Regular grenades now deal higher damage to blocks.
The Bolt-action sniper has had its maximum ammo reduced to 7.
The Semi-Auto rifle has had its maximum ammo reduced to 15.
The regular RPG now causes less damage to blocks.
The pistol now has a slightly slower reload speed.
The Marksman can now fall a maximum of 30 blocks before death from full health.
The Marksman and Commando have had their speeds slightly reduced.
The Engineer’s speed has been slightly increased.
The Miner now starts with 0 blocks.
The Commando’s Shovel now digs at a slower rate.
Dynamite now has a maximum ammo of 1.
Dynamite now does more damage to player-placed blocks.
Dynamite now has an expanded blast radius.
Reduced the Torso damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
Slightly reduced the Arms Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
Slightly reduced the Legs Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
Slightly reduced the Headshot Damage of the Semi-Automatic Sniper to balance it more with regards to the Bolt-Action Sniper.
Slightly increased the shoot interval of the Semi-Automatic Sniper.
Slightly increased the speed of the Crowbar.
The Commando now has access to the Fort Wall prefab.
The Scout now as access to the Caltrop prefab.
The Engineer now has access to the Bridge prefab.
The Engineer now has access to the “Super Pole” prefab.
The Pickaxe has been removed from the Miner’s loadout.
The Pistol now recoils upwards.
The Prefab lag should have been reduced.

We hope you enjoy this update as well as the recent dedicated servers update, and that it allows you to create even more amazing things!

Ace of Spades Team
ZEB 99
Post Demon
Post Demon

yay, now i can install mods
ImaReallyEver
Deuced Up

didnt read lol
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

#Rebel
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

They won't ever get the charm the old ace of spades has. They might end up making a fun game, but it will never be the same game.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I will buy it once they license Voxlap from Ken.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Ken will never allow that. He hates Jagex and he has a good reason for that. You could pretty much say that he'll allow it over his dead body.
LeCom

bloodfox wrote:
Ken will never allow that. He hates Jagex and he has a good reason for that. You could pretty much say that he'll allow it over his dead body.
I even remember he had told JohnRambozo and me that he wanted to do something against Jagex, but that might be just a false implication and it was half a year ago. However, Ken is indeed really angry about what happened.
Btw, wasn't Jagex using file formats based on .vxl and .kv6? Isn't it against the law?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
I even remember he had told JohnRambozo and me that he wanted to do something against Jagex, but that might be just a false implication and it was half a year ago. However, Ken is indeed really angry about what happened.
Btw, wasn't Jagex using file formats based on .vxl and .kv6? Isn't it against the law?
^Never thought of that... I guess it is against the law considering their using HIS file formats... Ohh those dickheads...
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

bloodfox wrote:
LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
^Never thought of that... I guess it is against the law considering their using HIS file formats... Ohh those dickheads...
Yeah, I think there's a difference between reading from a format and writing to a format. Paint.net and Gimp both can read .PSD files (Photoshop files), but they can't write to Photoshop files. So, is Jagex just allowing the reading of his files or are they allowed to write to them too?
longbyte1
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
It's not against the law if Ken never patented either of them. I think he only copyrighted his own sample C code anyway.

Also there's nothing specifically prohibiting exports. It's just that PSD is such an ugly format that nobody even bothers to write an exporter. (Another example is how Audacity can export to MP3/WMA.) However, to do an import/export on a patented proprietary format you have to know how to get by the patent by (1) being protected by a lawyer, (2) doing a clean-room implementation (where you never try to reverse-engineer and recreate yourself at the same time), and (3) never distributing the MP3 as part of free software, always asking users to download it separately.
Last edited by longbyte1 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Mr.Torch wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
Yeah, I think there's a difference between reading from a format and writing to a format. Paint.net and Gimp both can read .PSD files (Photoshop files), but they can't write to Photoshop files. So, is Jagex just allowing the reading of his files or are they allowed to write to them too?
hmmmm true. Also another thing to consider is that if they're doing something worthy to get sued for, we would of heard of it. Ken would do anything to piss 'em off. (And I don't blame him at all...) Or to at least get some dirt on them. Tbh, If I were ken, I'd do anything to get Jagex to look like dirty dicks.
22 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 1.0 Discussion”