Build and Shoot News #2

Our latest need-to-know information.
50 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Yeah most of us are veterans fromthe original forums!
rakiru
Coder
Coder

I remember being a part of a semi-popular third-party AoS forum at some point, back when the official one was a piece of ass. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder

Depends on how long ago it was, lexsym had a forum from a long time ago and tGM was running the ace-spades.com phpbb forums from a free web host. But after 500 registered members we switched it from the free web host to ace-spades.com.

Those are the two big ones that I remember.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Just a couple ideas I had about the Push script which could easily be applied to babel as well... the problem with making all blocks made by your team indestructible by said team creates an opportunity for griefers... but it's better than letting griefers destroy whatever they please anyway... so here's my compromise solution.

Any block that is placed by a team member is set to that teams color (AKA blue), however, sometimes a griefer gets on and puts a big annoying wall on the teams bridge (or tower in babel). Anyway, a way to counteract this is if you allow the destruction of team blocks if more than one player on that team attempts to destroy it. This would work by the first person attempting to destroy the block. When the server registers that on_block_destroy attempt, it adds that blocks location to a list, then changes the color of that block to a neutral color(like black), indicating that it can be destroyed by a second player. If no one breaks the block within 15 seconds or so, it reverts back to a standard team block... just an idea... not sure how effective it will be. I also like the 5 second time frame that you have to destroy your own blocks as well or whatever you did there.

An idea for a new game mode that I have (by the name of 'hitman' or 'assassins' or something) would randomly assign 3 other players on the server as your 'targets'. Your client would be told that everyone else is on your team, and your 3 targets would be on the opposite team. Your objective is to kill your targets without getting killed by the people that are hunting you. When you kill someone, you inherit their targets. This would be an arena style game as it would be round based... there are some technical issues you'd have to work around for example what happens when someone disconnects? I'd say that their targets should be given to anyone that was hunting the player that disconnected. Anyway, the winner of the round is the person with the most kills. There would also be an issue when there is a low player count. You'd have to put in player count levels where people have fewer targets to hunt.

Anyway, I think this would teach players to hunt specific people and to trust no one as nobody knows who is their friend and who is their foe. :)
danhezee

I have had a similar idea for assassins. The only difference is it would be more highlander-ish "There can only be one". And you would get only one target at a time. As long as someone inherited their target's target after death or disconnect. It should always boil down to final duel.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Would it still work after that person disconnected?
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

yes... if it was every person chasing a single target, it would be easy to accommodate a disconnection... just simply take him out of the link... the person that was hunting the disconnectee would hunt the disconnectee's target... the problem with everyone hunting one target is that the rounds could be fairly long and afker's could be a real pain... not to mention people that want to bury themselves and keep the game going for as long as possible would be a pain... i guess arena addresses both of those by not allowing building and putting a time limit... my question is "Is it possible to give every single player their own team list?" I'm assuming it can be done by creating a custom team list for every player object, but I'm not sure.
Bigcheecho
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

I just started playing slightly before Jagex put 1.0 on Steam.
pulley999

a girl wrote:
Any block that is placed by a team member is set to that teams color (AKA blue), however, sometimes a griefer gets on and puts a big annoying wall on the teams bridge (or tower in babel). Anyway, a way to counteract this is if you allow the destruction of team blocks if more than one player on that team attempts to destroy it. This would work by the first person attempting to destroy the block. When the server registers that on_block_destroy attempt, it adds that blocks location to a list, then changes the color of that block to a neutral color(like black), indicating that it can be destroyed by a second player. If no one breaks the block within 15 seconds or so, it reverts back to a standard team block.
+1 from me, Babel is kind of ruined by these "anti griefers," although the tower just ends up becoming wider and harder to destroy as people build around the blocking walls.
*OFFTOPIC* I was also thinking what Babel would be like with the 1.0 classes, if rocketeer was given a limit at which he couldn't fly any higher than the place he started his flight at, probably put the ceiling at 10 blocks below the intel platform, but if he starts flying above that he can "hover" in that layer or drop down.
matthew0901
Deuced Up

All news team members let's mèet on like Sunday at 1:00 pm EST and discuss the news on irc channel #bnsnewsteam
FaultCheck
Coder
Coder

danhezee wrote:
I have had a similar idea for assassins. The only difference is it would be more highlander-ish "There can only be one". And you would get only one target at a time. As long as someone inherited their target's target after death or disconnect. It should always boil down to final duel.
I was thinking about taking ctf, and turning into a grab the bacon mode, a center flag that has to be picked up, and brought back, instead of the two flags

Make king of the hill with tag mode, make a single capture point, similar to above, but you have to hold it to gain team points...
zovc
Deuced Up

Blue_Spade Maps Green_Spade
Operation Métro
Gibbs3333 wrote:
"Operation Métro", inspired by the environment of Battlefield 3. There are two subways and different levels to rise to the surface even if the exits are blocked because of landslides and multiple attacks land surface. You are trapped in the metro where you will fight the enemy in intense melee combat.
nice nice sounds good

Blue_Pistol Push Green_Pistol2
For all you Push fans out there, don't worry! We are still working on fixing and tweaking the game-mode. We're planning on only allowing players to place blocks of their own team's colours. An attempt to place a block that is not of your team's colour will result in the server randomly picking the block's colour from the eight that you can choose. This will allow us to easily determine which team places which blocks; the green team will be able to break the blue blocks and the blue team the green blocks.

These are the colours that can be placed by each team.

We want your feedback! What do you think about this change? If you're a code-y kinda person, we'd like your help! If you're willing to offer it, post a comment. Green_Happy1
i say perfect anti griefing idea then remove the random kill to break block and there we go perfect anti griefing love the idea, but you could also make neutral blocks(anything other than blue, green) that are free to break like the temple on egypt.

Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

(The problem is then you can grief by building annoying blockers)
Prune
Deuced Up

Blue_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Great job all you ppl. the new maps loos great. I love this community.
Bigcheecho

Based off of the data in the Player Count graph, I think we're looking at a Hare & Tortoise scenario.
Jagex's version is the hare, buildandshoot's version is the tortoise.
50 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Official News”