Newsletter #41: Happy 5 Year Anniversary Ace of Spades!

Our latest need-to-know information.
139 posts Page 1 of 10 First unread post
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

It's been quite a while since the last newsletter, far too long infact. This newsletter will be extremely brief but we'll start with an important albeit somewhat relatively unknown detail: today marks the Ace of Spades' 5 year anniversary! Blue_Happy3

v0.1 was released into the world 5 years ago from today, completely unprepared for what it would become. A lot has changed since then, advancing far beyond the days of drunken camera sway and broken spacebar buttons. Both the game and community have most certainly been though a lot in that time - which brings me to the next announcement: Build and Shoot's future/roadmap.

While the game works as it is now and is functional, it's not anywhere near as polished as it should be and things have been quite stagnant for a while now - that needs to change.

OpenSpades

Voxlap has been near and dear to our hearts for years, but nobody can deny the limitations it poses. With OpenSpades existing and being fully compatible with 0.75/0.76, it's only natural to want to progress towards its adoption. However, that's not to say we want to completely abandon Voxlap. If players can run OpenSpades, we encourage them to do so, but if not Voxlap is always a safe fallback. After all, the game's famous tagline from the beginning was "even your grandmothere's rig can run it".

Build and Shoot Launcher

Starting with the launcher, future updates are planned to polish it up as well as seamlessly integrate both Voxlap and OpenSpades support, with our focus being encouraging OpenSpades adoption. Other later features include a friends system, improved modding support, localization, and more.

Build and Shoot Website/Forums

We are planning on giving the site/forums a complete overhaul as well, starting with separating the site content from the forums. It should help things feel less 'cluttered' and will make things much easier to navigate, especially for newer players.

There are a few other things in the works that will likely be mentioned in an update shortly. Until then, please feel free leave any feedback and suggestions below.
Closetobegood
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

#BanSMGfromTheServer! uhm no... sorry... i was controlled by angryness
Someone still want to keep the communty alive :`)
A. Soldier
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Ah, the familiar names that roamed the original and now very old and forgotten Ace of Spades forums now deciding the fate of the game, glad you guys are still going strong even after all of this time and hardships.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Oh, BnS isn't dead?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

This newsletter made me smile. Always missed the newsletters. :) I really want BnS to thrive again. But is seperating the game from the forums necessary when it's this dead?
Jigsaw
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Closetobegood wrote:
#BanSMGfromTheServer!
I would totally agree on that, the OpenSpades smg is way too strong and unfair.
tin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Forums will not be separated completely, the website should look something like the previous ace-spades site.
MKU
Artist
Artist

>stack posted something
>not april 1st

Make BnS Great Again!
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

cool
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Yay, good to hear that mods are still alive and the newsletter is not "BnS forums are shutting down" because that would be horrible.

Also, if/when the ace-spades.com domain expires, will StackOverflow take it over?
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

I saw this linked on the facebook. Congrats to 5 years of Ace of Spades.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

5 years, and yet, what really happened to Ace of Spades?
This http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13792
fLaMeShOt
Deuced Up

tf
Kuunikal
Deuced Up

Holy wow, a new newsletter! I saw Stack post this on the IRC and was super excited. Happy 5th anniversary Ace of Spades! Wishing many more years of fun! Green_Happy3

But I still want to use Voxlap. I can easily run OpenSpades but I prefer Voxlap because it's more fun in my opinion. Hopefully you can still encourage Voxlap a lot, too.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

same
139 posts Page 1 of 10 First unread post
Return to “Official News”