BnS News #37 - We have Goals!

Our latest need-to-know information.
77 posts Page 3 of 6
Venator
League Participant
League Participant
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm


danhezee wrote:

Image
Hompy, greasemonkey, Moose, Lecom, BR_ got the coder badge.
Does that mean the wizard is back? :3
MushieWarden
Artist
Artist
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 am


Most likely.
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:32 am


zompy :D
CraftDinur
Deuced Up
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 pm


looks like BnS is getting on that "reddit gold" grind.

should give it a cool name like deucecoin or something like dis
Image
Astrocat
Deuced Up
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:16 pm


CraftDinur wrote:
should give it a cool name like deucecoin or something like dis
Image
Nice! +1
MushieWarden
Artist
Artist
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 am


Astrocat wrote:
CraftDinur wrote:
should give it a cool name like deucecoin or something like dis
Image
Nice! +1
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am


But what's that for? Reputation that is usable as a currency?
Teeth
League Participant
League Participant
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:31 am


MrHaaax wrote:
But what's that for? Reputation that is usable as a currency?
Basically.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 am


Teeth wrote:
MrHaaax wrote:
But what's that for? Reputation that is usable as a currency?
Basically.
Sounds like politics.
xNyan
Deuced Up
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 pm


Image
???????? hahaha
longbyte1
Deuced Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 pm


I can't really agree that 100,000 users per day is the best thing for the community. See "the chat room/forum problem". In other words, the average value of the content posted is inversely proportional to the number of users. Plus, I don't think that forums were designed to handle so much activity at once. This leads to:
  • Threads with over 500 replies that are hard to traverse without reading them from page 1 first.
  • Too many active threads that are being bumped such that new threads get pushed down to page 2 within an hour if no replies are made.
  • Stricter, more blanket rules and generally less friendly staff since there are more staff appointed, and staff must trudge through perhaps a dozen PMs a day.
  • Unicode symbols and [bracket tags] that try to aid in organization and making threads stand out a bit more.
Just look at the Minecraft forums (especially the servers forum) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But if you guys are sure that you can handle 100,000 visitors a day, great. BnS shall overtake Jagex's AoS on Google! (It's at the top of page 2 if you look up "ace of spades" and turn off personalized results)
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper
Posts: 4808
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 pm


You always have a controversial opinion longbyte
longbyte1
Deuced Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 pm


Jdrew wrote:
You always have a controversial opinion longbyte
Indeed. If only I could change my title to "Devil's Advocate"... Blue_BigSmile
CraftDinur
Deuced Up
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 pm


longbyte1 wrote:
I can't really agree that 100,000 users per day is the best thing for the community. See "the chat room/forum problem". In other words, the average value of the content posted is inversely proportional to the number of users. Plus, I don't think that forums were designed to handle so much activity at once. This leads to:
  • Threads with over 500 replies that are hard to traverse without reading them from page 1 first.
  • Too many active threads that are being bumped such that new threads get pushed down to page 2 within an hour if no replies are made.
  • Stricter, more blanket rules and generally less friendly staff since there are more staff appointed, and staff must trudge through perhaps a dozen PMs a day.
  • Unicode symbols and [bracket tags] that try to aid in organization and making threads stand out a bit more.
Just look at the Minecraft forums (especially the servers forum) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But if you guys are sure that you can handle 100,000 visitors a day, great. BnS shall overtake Jagex's AoS on Google! (It's at the top of page 2 if you look up "ace of spades" and turn off personalized results)
i doubt that simply increasing the amount of visitors is going to be bad for the community. if you're worried about the quality of the content being posted on these forums there's already a lot of shit that provides no discussion being posted every day. as well as that, the goal since day 1 was to get more people playing this version of AoS and not the Jagex version so more visitors is going to give this community more visibility to the outside world instead of just a niche market. it's always a better idea to aim towards building a larger community and even though there are downsides as you pointed out i'm sure the mods will figure out how to deal with it when the time comes.
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 am


CraftDinur wrote:
longbyte1 wrote:
I can't really agree that 100,000 users per day is the best thing for the community. See "the chat room/forum problem". In other words, the average value of the content posted is inversely proportional to the number of users. Plus, I don't think that forums were designed to handle so much activity at once. This leads to:
  • Threads with over 500 replies that are hard to traverse without reading them from page 1 first.
  • Too many active threads that are being bumped such that new threads get pushed down to page 2 within an hour if no replies are made.
  • Stricter, more blanket rules and generally less friendly staff since there are more staff appointed, and staff must trudge through perhaps a dozen PMs a day.
  • Unicode symbols and [bracket tags] that try to aid in organization and making threads stand out a bit more.
Just look at the Minecraft forums (especially the servers forum) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But if you guys are sure that you can handle 100,000 visitors a day, great. BnS shall overtake Jagex's AoS on Google! (It's at the top of page 2 if you look up "ace of spades" and turn off personalized results)
i doubt that simply increasing the amount of visitors is going to be bad for the community. if you're worried about the quality of the content being posted on these forums there's already a lot of shit that provides no discussion being posted every day. as well as that, the goal since day 1 was to get more people playing this version of AoS and not the Jagex version so more visitors is going to give this community more visibility to the outside world instead of just a niche market. it's always a better idea to aim towards building a larger community and even though there are downsides as you pointed out i'm sure the mods will figure out how to deal with it when the time comes.
As long as the community grows slowly most issues will be avoided. Admins will have lots of time to make and test changes and even appoint more quality admins. If the community expands too fast we'll have growing pains, but everything will work itself out.
77 posts Page 3 of 6
Return to “Official News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest