BnS News #37 - We have Goals!

Our latest need-to-know information.
76 posts Page 4 of 6 First unread post
LeFizzy
Deuced Up

This is not the goal but just the opposite,, as I said in one subject.

This picture does not know when he made (maybe a year and a half)
just look at how the Irish játékosokat.És now if you open the server list?
Peak-time 450
You can think :P
LeCom

Yeah. I hope the main reason for this is just people doing shit irl instead of playing, but there are less and less people staying at AoS, and one can notice that. Players should say what they don't like in the game instead of just leaving :/
There is more stuff possible than they think.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
Players should say what they don't like in the game
Overpowered SMGs, the same maps always being played (*cough cough* Hallway *cough cough*) and nobody plays the superior 0.76 version. 'Nuff said
LeCom

.76 isn't necessarily the best version. Some say the SMG is balanced, and even if it isn't, decreasing its damage is a very simple and neat way of balancing it. There are several populated servers which don't have the usual shit maps (no one has genmaps or the WW2 ones tho). So there must be something else.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
.76 isn't necessarily the best version. Some say the SMG is balanced, and even if it isn't, decreasing its damage is a very simple and neat way of balancing it. There are several populated servers which don't have the usual shit maps (no one has genmaps or the WW2 ones tho). So there must be something else.
I never said .76 was the best version, but it's better than .75 at least. Those people who claim the SMG is balanced probably only ever use it, it's obvious that a weapon with ridiculous damage per shot, accuracy and almost no recoil is overpowered compared to a weapon that can't hit where you point it at half of the time. Most of the other maps on servers that people go on are pretty bad too, Lampoviy Servachok is one of the few servers with anyone playing that host a decent variety of maps, along with aloha.pk's servers.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
I understand your grievances for these last-minute unbalanced additions to the game. I just wish that the final release was actually worthwhile and guaranteed a long lifespan and community. Blue_NotHappy

It just doesn't feel right without Ben Aksoy (creator of AoS) leading the community. There are no updates, no regular "new stuff" like you'd see in trending games, like Space Engineers, that create hype for the community and give it life in speculation, fan works, and suggestions.

The Ace of Spades/Build and Shoot community is frozen. It's eternal 0.75/0.76, an infant that suddenly stopped growing. The only way to "unfreeze" the community while preserving the AoS name is for somebody to pick up 0.76 as-is by recoding Ace of Spades and retracing Ben's steps in order to make a pixel-perfect remake of Ben's Ace of Spades. Still, it wouldn't feel right without the game being under Ben's direction.

To expand this community, we must grow out of Ben's code. Make OpenSpades the standard client. Revamp the protocol. Make this old Ace of Spades a completely new game under a completely new direction, with mods (that affect gameplay), extra weapons, and things like that. We need to stop waiting for 0.77.
Dutch
Deuce

longbyte1 wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I understand your grievances for these last-minute unbalanced additions to the game. I just wish that the final release was actually worthwhile and guaranteed a long lifespan and community. Blue_NotHappy

It just doesn't feel right without Ben Aksoy (creator of AoS) leading the community. There are no updates, no regular "new stuff" like you'd see in trending games, like Space Engineers, that create hype for the community and give it life in speculation, fan works, and suggestions.

The Ace of Spades/Build and Shoot community is frozen. It's eternal 0.75/0.76, an infant that suddenly stopped growing. The only way to "unfreeze" the community while preserving the AoS name is for somebody to pick up 0.76 as-is by recoding Ace of Spades and retracing Ben's steps in order to make a pixel-perfect remake of Ben's Ace of Spades. Still, it wouldn't feel right without the game being under Ben's direction.

To expand this community, we must grow out of Ben's code. Make OpenSpades the standard client. Revamp the protocol. Make this old Ace of Spades a completely new game under a completely new direction, with mods (that affect gameplay), extra weapons, and things like that. We need to stop waiting for 0.77.
He's right. If we continue to wait the next "big thing" to happen, the community will die out pretty soon. Unfortunately, I am not a coder, I know many in this community are. Make channels for this game on youtube, spread the word, do whatever you can do. As for the leaders of BnS, alert the community about this. Take action. I will do whatever I will be told to in order to make this game grow again
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Keep moving forward, I guess.
But one thing: don't push OpenSpades too hard, and/or find a way to improve the software renderer further, also find a way to make it as easy to mod as AoS. Bear in mind that most of the community played the original game for its low requirements(those with a shitty PC like me), otherwise, the community will die sooner than one might think.
Just my 2 cents.
LeCom

Idk whether it's possible to improve the software renderer more. It's just some quick and dirty renderer which yvt might take out some day. It wasn't intended to change anything, and it's nothing compared with Voxlap which is times faster and is capable of more.
I wouldn't rely too much on openspades as the next new thing. It really feels more like CoD than AoS. Modding and graphics might be great, but it doesn't matter if the game behind all that is a big piece of shit. yvt neither could fix the overpowered SMG, nor solve the MLG problem.

No matter whether the SMG can be considered OP or not, I already said that in case it's OP, reducing its damage to 1/3 or 1/2 balances it perfectly, as it was on SW and HOMO servers. Increasing the shotgun damage does not increase its accuracy of course, but it still gives more power to it.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

On weapon balancing again, instead of separated damage for each hitboxes, why not multipliers, like most games do these days? For example, SMG is 15, torso's multiplier is x1.0, limbs is x0.8, head is x2.5, so:
3 shots to the head(2 in 0.75)
7 shots to the torso(unknown in .75, maybe less)
12 shots to the limbs(unknown but definitely less in 0.75)
Just in case when you guys got the separated servers running. Using multipliers is alot less painful to balance things out.
LeCom

damage = {
TORSO : 29, = 3 hits
HEAD : 75, = 2 hits
ARMS : 18, = 5 hits
LEGS : 18 = 5 hits
}
I don't think that multipliers fit into AoS. There are other things that one can take damage from, so fixed values are better imo. But I think that server admins (in case any servers will ever have that) are going to make them based on hits, like 100/5 for 5 hits, or 100/3 for 3 hits.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Well, if you say so...
We can't have multipliers and fixed values simultaneously, can we? You know, multiplied for guns, fixed for everything else like grenade or spade. I'm no coder, so yeah.
LeCom

It's possible to convert multipliers into damage values and assign them, like 0.5*100 for 2 shots.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
Idk whether it's possible to improve the software renderer more. It's just some quick and dirty renderer which yvt might take out some day. It wasn't intended to change anything, and it's nothing compared with Voxlap which is times faster and is capable of more.
I wouldn't rely too much on openspades as the next new thing. It really feels more like CoD than AoS. Modding and graphics might be great, but it doesn't matter if the game behind all that is a big piece of shit. yvt neither could fix the overpowered SMG, nor solve the MLG problem.
This is exactly why we cannot make OpenSpades the standard client. (Yes, I just contradicted myself. My prior post just showed examples of the types of ways we could reform BnS.) People at first liked OS because it looked a lot like Battlefield and was perfectly compatible with the old client. But this "alternate client" is not the reason why people liked AoS. People liked it because "your grandmother’s rig could run this game" and because it looked retro. You don't have the same feel with OS. (Also, OS is AoS without the A, so it's not complete.)

I think we should follow up with Powerthirst, but let's not make the same mistakes that GreaseMonkey did. 0.77 should be made by US, and all it should be is a recode of Ben's 0.76 and some minor tweaks. It shouldn't include a script engine, and most parts should be written from scratch in C/C++ (perhaps taking a few parts from OpenSpades?), not ripped from the disassembly/decompilation. After that, if the codebase looks maintainable enough, then we can add a script engine (Lua?) which would allow the game to be modded directly from the server.

Many of us are coders, and even those that aren't can do more than just watch BnS burn just as Jagex's AoS shaky community is on the verge of collapsing.

Blue_Rifle
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I like gameplay not graphics
76 posts Page 4 of 6 First unread post
Return to “Official News”