Server Migration

Our latest need-to-know information.
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

I'm sure many of you have noticed things have been a little off as of late.

On January 13th, we noticed a huge influx of traffic on the site. On closer inspection, we noticed most of it was coming from Reddit. After poking around, we found the culprit, a post titled "Is it me, or is this a prime example of false advertising on Steam?" pertaining to seemingly conflicting reviews of Ace of Spades 1.0 by IGN.

Several users had mentioned Build and Shoot on there, which would explain the traffic. This lasted for a short while until our server eventually became overwhelmed.

We took this downtime as a chance to do some much needed upgrading and future-proofing. With the site growing in popularity, we need to be better prepared for spikes such as these.

Currently there is still some DNS propagation going on so it's possible that not everybody has been forwarded properly just yet.

Thanks for the love Reddit and as usual, if anybody runs into any problems with the site, please let us know so we can address it.
ndiniz
Deuce

WELCOME BACK! Green_Wink1
Deuce123
Deuce

You guys rock i love this game, i play it uhm since some Days and its awesome.

And know from where i came? Saw the new Ace of Spades, googled it found some stuff then i came somehow to reddit and i guess you know the rest Blue_Spade
Dom
Deuce

Indeed I was devastated when I came to play my favourite game and was greeted with a 503/2 :(

Ahh well, it's good to see things back.

Were you not using cloudflare before? Or have you switched over to it since the outage, because cloudflare is supposed to stop that sorta stuff happening!

Dom.
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

just switched
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

Looks we might need some more servers.
Dzhoel
Deuced Up

Glad to hear this websites getting the attention it deserves! Green_BigSmile
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

I am now just able to access the website.

Yay!
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Good work guys
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

DNS should've fully propagated by now.
GamingFTW
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Very nice Stack! So questin. Did you also upgrade the server? Or just moved the server? And can you say how many visitors you are actually getting a day?
VladVP
Post Demon
Post Demon

GamingFTW wrote:
And can you say how many visitors you are actually getting a day?
I think a lot of people are interested in that info! Stack?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

B&S gets about 3000 visitors on the site from redit and the jagex forums but most won't play the game, this is just what I have herd stack say and it could have changed since the server change.
StackOverflow
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

GamingFTW wrote:
Very nice Stack! So questin. Did you also upgrade the server? Or just moved the server? And can you say how many visitors you are actually getting a day?
Both, we have moved and upgraded. Additionally, upgrades will be much more seamless now.
VladVP wrote:
GamingFTW wrote:
And can you say how many visitors you are actually getting a day?
I think a lot of people are interested in that info! Stack?
jdrew wrote:
B&S gets about 3000 visitors on the site from redit and the jagex forums but most won't play the game, this is just what I have herd stack say and it could have changed since the server change.
Not exactly sure where you're pulling that information from Jdrew, but I can assure you it's higher than that on a "normal" day.

Traffic differs throughout the day as well as throughout the week. It's uncommon for us to receive below 10k visits a day, with over 70% of them being unique. There has been a gradual increase in traffic, all organic, which is good. It's been increasing steadily day by day (minus the downtime from Reddit).
SICKfudge
Deuced Up

Interesting... does anyone know of the figures for the 'official' website?
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Official News”