OpenSpades introduction

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
665 posts Page 4 of 45 First unread post
learn_more
Coder
Coder

jdrew wrote:
OpenGL is something your videocard has to support kiwi. I found out that to make a sight you have to do it as a kv6 like in AoS steam and the gun determinds the scope so if you have a 2-pixle scope you will have a 2-pixle gun as well.
please, read what i said to you above.
it still applies.
yvt
Coder
Coder

See: https://github.com/yvt/openspades/releases

3x Faster Volumetric Fog Ray-tracer (r_fogShadow)
5.5ms @ 1024x640 on Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Mac OS X 10.8.4)
Note: r_fogShadow requires at least Shader Model 3.0 hardware.

Correct behaviour of guns (Thanks to GreaseMonkey)
Pellets of shotgun now correctly spread. Calculation of recoil is also fixed.

GUI modification
Minimap was moved to top right of the screen.

Better error detection / logging
Diagnostic messages are now written to C:\users(username here)\Application Data (or AppData) \OpenSpades\Resources\SystemMessages.log. This contains a lot of information that help identifying a cause of different problems.

Missing OpenGL functions resulted in an sudden program termination. In 0.0.6, the name of a missing OpenGL function will be displayed.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

hey yvt can you get on the BnS mumble server?
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

So these are the most needed changes in my opinion :

1. The sight system has to be changed, you have almost no chance against an 075 aos player especially with the rifle :(.
You cant make kv6s with scopes and cant make different sights like reflex or reddot.
I would recommend a system with a png (like in 75/76) instead of aiming slightly above the kv6 of the weapon.
2. The chat and killfeed should be seperated.
3. You should be able to throw the grenade further by jumping like in the 75/76.
4. You cant change your window without crashing openSpades

We often got aprox. 7 players with openspades on the Sw server today and everyone was completely excited :).
Gaming experience would be perfect if you were able to fix the mentioned problems (especially 1 and 2).

And you could put Fawads' tutorial video on your page ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO4O8kGwDJY
Coco
League Participant
League Participant

I downloaded Open Spades, I done everything that I should have done, and when I joined the "Sw Server" I got this error message:
If someone could explain why this has happened, and how to fix it, I would much appreciate it.
Thanks =)
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

I had a little play around with this in a localhost server and I absolutely love it. Excellent work, yvt.

The only things I have small issue with are the default movement controls (WAZD and not WASD which feels awkward), and while this can be changed easily, it's confusing for first-time users who are expecting it to be WASD.

Another thing is having the mouse scroll-wheel changing to the next/previous item like in the default game would be nice.

Really, though, they're two very minor things in what is a great client. I especially love the default sounds, especially the rifle's shot.

(Also, I think while we have this client and the default client in the same server, I think we should keep everything the same, like grenade throw distance and use of scopes. Although I personally like the changes, it helps keep everything on a level playing-field. If you create your own master server which can be accessed only through your client once it gets a bit of a following, then you can re-implement them as you see fit)
Captin
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Amazed by this, this is everything 1.0 should have been I would have bought the game in a heartbeat if it even came close to what you've done here.
Just to offer a different opinion I really like the new aiming system and prefer it over the old png one sadly I think I am in the minority here but oh well.
AEM
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

tungdil wrote:

1. The sight system has to be changed, you have almost no chance against an 075 aos player especially with the rifle :(.
You cant make kv6s with scopes and cant make different sights like reflex or reddot.
I would recommend a system with a png (like in 75/76) instead of aiming slightly above the kv6 of the weapon.
3. You should be able to throw the grenade further by jumping like in the 75/76.

We often got aprox. 7 players with openspades on the Sw server today and everyone was completely excited :).
Gaming experience would be perfect if you were able to fix the mentioned problems (especially 1 and 2).

On top of this, please add the scroll feature, where you can switch to grenades and spade quickly.
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

I like the new aiming system too, but its hard to play with it against other players using a way easier method.
For example sneaking around a corner, the 2 blocks on the rifle sight block your view for a second while the enemy can start aiming.
tungdil
League Participant
League Participant

AEM wrote:
tungdil wrote:

On top of this, please add the scroll feature, where you can switch to grenades and spade quickly.
You should add this, but it's way easier choosing the weapon with the numbers.
Dany0
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

The sounds are perfect, would you mind if they were used in project Iceball?

(linkie)
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

Wow, this looks fantistic Blue_Happy3
Are there any plans on adding support for graphic cards with less than opengl 2.0? I seem to be able to run iceball-gl just fine, but I can't run openspades.
Here is the error I'm getting when I try to join a server:
My graphics card:
Intel[R] 946GZ Express Chipset Family, i946GZ (pretty bad, I know)
learn_more
Coder
Coder

it's coming along nicely,
but the code is not written for performance at all.

objects are passed by value, especially for the Vector stuff there is way too much copying going on..

for example a simple function:
Code: Select all
virtual void SetFogColor(Vector3 v){fogColor = v;}
should be written as:
virtual void SetFogColor(const Vector3& v){fogColor = v;}
otherwise a dummy vec3 is created on the stack when calling the function, that dummy (v) is used to set the fogColor, then imediately destroyed again...

i also saw some dynamic casts, for example to check what stuff to draw?
that's really wastefull, and could easily be done by simply overloading a virtual function (after all, that's what they are for!)

another example:
IModel *base = renderer->RegisterModel("Models/MapObjects/CheckPoint.kv6");
stuff like that should be done at startup, not every frame (yes, it is stored in a map, but that means finding items in a map everytime they need to be drawn), again very wastefull.

also, it needs some fixing to be able to build it in MSVC.
__PRETTY_FUNCTION__ should be defined (for MSVC) as __FUNCDNAME__
NOMINMAX should be defined before including windows.h (maybe even project wide)
atoll does not exist in msvc (NetClient.cpp)
the vararg expansion in macro's also should be done a little different for msvc.

#ifdef _MSC_VER
#define SPLog(format, ...) ::spades::LogMessage(__FILE__, __LINE__, format, __VA_ARGS__ )
#else
#define SPLog(format, args...) ::spades::LogMessage(__FILE__, __LINE__, format, ##args )
#endif

also, GameMap::CastRay2 does not return a value on the path where IsSolidWrapped returns false.
there are shittons of warnings about typeconversions (int to float or double),
and signed / unsigned comparisons.
Last edited by learn_more on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I<3Minecraft
Deuced Up

How come when I run the game my screen is just red, and if I look at the sun I can basicly see it's mechanic , and when I shoot it kind of goes black and red, help!
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Qw3rtz wrote:
Holy shit, i love you, any hope in a Linux version? Hence it's cross platform.
*cough* i compiled it from source and it works *cough*

./configure
make

make sure you have the windows .zip as that has all your data and whatnot
Daniel_Laixer wrote:
# I was getting an error related to libopenal.so that I fixed by running this command. You may not need it if you're running a 32 bit OS
sudo cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libopenal.so
AAAAARGH DON'T FUCKING DO THAT just click on Advanced Settings then change s_alDriver to point to where it is (in my case it's /usr/lib64/libopenal.so)

Besides, if you ever have to do that, you should be using "ln -s", NOT "cp".
jdrew wrote:
The client is all about openGL. It can't run without it as it uses shaders,lighting, and other textures and stuff all from openGL. That is also why the client looks so good, the AoS client uses directX. That is why it can run on slower/older computers. OpenGL on the other hand is more modern and requires a better computer but ti gives you better graphics. If you want something else you would need to make a directX client that looks like this but since the game already uses directX that would be kinda pointless.
jdrew wrote:
OpenGL is something your videocard has to support kiwi. I found out that to make a sight you have to do it as a kv6 like in AoS steam and the gun determinds the scope so if you have a 2-pixle scope you will have a 2-pixle gun as well.
FOR THE LAST TIME SHUT THE FUCK UP JDREW

To correct his misconceptions:

OpenGL and Direct3D are made to fulfil the same purpose. The reason not to use DirectX is because it's only designed to work on not-Windows - ideally you should be using OpenGL and some way to do sound and input portably - SDL is a great choice for that.

AoS generates a typically-800x600 image in software, and uses DirectDraw to copy the image to the screen. It also uses DirectInput for keyboard and mouse input, at least from my understanding.

By the way, OpenGL doesn't require 3D-accelerating hardware. It's just that software implementations of OpenGL tend to be dreadfully slow. Having said that, ATI's software implementation is fast enough that CoD 1 runs at a playale framerate at 640x480 (under Wine in my case).
Chase_UC wrote:
Would it be possible to do something like what Iceball did regarding the OpenGL thing? Since I can't run Iceball in OpenGL, i have it disabled in the .json file or w/e. I wonder if that would be possible to do here as well.
That would be a total pain in the ass to be quite honest. The Iceball software renderer is notably slower than VOXLAP's renderer. But if you want to give it a shot, I'm sure yvt will consider adding your patch.
colorpinpoint wrote:

Video Card: ATI X300
OpenGL Version: 2.1
OpenGL 2.1 enforces that GLSL 1.20 shaders are supported, so that shouldn't say that your OpenGL version is 2.1. Your job right now is to murder ATI for not following the specification.

On the topic of graphics cards that don't support shaders, any chance of being compatible with OpenGL 1.1? Some people have either old (e.g. Intel 845) or dreadfully shit (e.g. Intel GMA 3500) GPUs. There is absolutely no requirement for it to look pretty, but for some reason Iceball manages to pull that bit off.
Last edited by GreaseMonkey on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
665 posts Page 4 of 45 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”