Oh hey, Jagex's reaction to BnS

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
103 posts Page 3 of 7 First unread post
ThisFrickinSite
Deuced Up

I saw that. It seems that he actually feared the hoards of horny 12 year old's that would swarm the thread.
Froelich131
Deuce

MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Froelich131 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/eGmkd.png Original image
Sniped has surprisingly worse memory than me(which i considered is the worst)
SuperDaniel
Deuced Up

They dont mind advertising on signatures :twisted:
"Join Build and Shoot, its free and Jagex free forever"
"Jagex doesn't listen to there community, we listen to the community to make it happy and Jagex free, join me!"

Of course I am terrible at making sigs so I wouldn't make then, but i'm happy to advertise B&S, only if the admin here dont mind and someone can make the sig ;)
SuperDaniel
Deuced Up

kmaj wrote:
SuperDaniel wrote:
They dont mind advertising on signatures :twisted:
"Join Build and Shoot, its free and Jagex free forever"
"Jagex doesn't listen to there community, we listen to the community to make it happy and Jagex free, join me!"

Of course I am terrible at making sigs so I wouldn't make then, but i'm happy to advertise B&S, only if the admin here dont mind and someone can make the sig ;)
The actually do mind. They're just lazy and get online only once in a while. I suspect these "rules" were tailor-made by Sniped to block voldemort.com, though.
No the admin here ahaha, I dont care about Jagex's admin :lol:
Frosty
Deuced Up

"Dear Sniped, we're sorry to inform you this, but your intelligence has fallen quite a lot since our last letter"
Snow
Deuce

So... is Jagex anti-community or something? (to ask bluntly). On the AoS forum, I posted a rather lengthy post aimed both toward Jagex and the community (for community feedback on it) and stated why, not only should the free version remain available, they should host it and support it.

I won't repost the entire thing here, since, lo and behold, a mod had to look at it first and that post has now for the last 4 days not shown up in the thread I posted in. In otherwords it's deleted, because I guess they don't like good advice. I will break the points down though (and I added one).

- many games have started as a free to play version and eventually moved on to be a commercial title. Some of the companies that have made these games, such as Mojang for example, allow their fanbase to continue playing the free or original version of their game. Minecraft Classic is freely available for those who want to try it out. Despite having a free version of the game for people to play, it's not updated with all the latest features that are now in the full release. Mojang still managed to sell 8 million copies of the game for $21 to $25 US. AoS 1.0 and beyond will be the versions that have constant updates.

- allowing the player base to continue playing the original version allows for valuable feedback when players are also playing the new version. They are able to compare gameplay and give much more detailed critical feedback than if they were comparing to a memory of the old version. No matter how much you play a game, give it a few weeks and there are things you either forget or don't quickly think of on the spot. You might even forget the feeling of a game until you jump into it again.

- by simply shutting off access to the old version, Jagex is slamming the door in the original player base' face. (have fun grammar nazis :P) The original AoS players are the ones that made the game popular and got it to the point where it gained interest from a company that wanted to move it up to the next level. You don't just suddenly abandon a dedicated community.

- Jagex has the wrong idea about fansites or rather sites dedicated to the old version. Even if there was anti-Jagex sentiment, the sites are not meant to intentionally distract the community or new players away from the new version. I dunno if it's just because of dollar signs in their eyes and they see players that stick to the old version or start playing the old version as a loss. Players WILL BUY and play the new version. The game WILL attract a crowd of new players as well (many of whom will have never played AoS before) who will see it on Steam and because the game contains block-building, it will guarantee interest. The nice thing about the old version is that it becomes a demo or trial version to those who are thinking of buying the new version. Which brings me to the last point:

- Many MANY games have become a success, because the developer released a trial or demo version of the game. Not only that, but the new version is different than the old version. There are 4 unique classes in the new version, each one having abilities not seen in the old. New players that tried out the old version and liked it, most likely IMO would buy the new version to check out things like the RPG, drill gun and rocket pack. Now if both games were exactly the same, just that the new one had a different engine and updated graphics, then I might agree with Jagex putting away the old version.

Jagex needs to listen and pay attention to the community and not make assumptions, thinking that they're going to lose interest in their product or lose money. With many companies/corporations, the focus is always making the most money in the short term. Many companies fail to realize that focusing on quality and long term profit is equally beneficial. You may not make much right off the bat, but stick with it, ensure quality, ensure a happy player base and a year, 2 years, 3 years, etc down the road you'll see much higher gains, than you would otherwise.
CooLDoG
Deuced Up

kmaj wrote:
You wasted your time, Jagex hates criticism.
preface: I was an avid runescape player before I found ace of spades...

This is very true. It took a 90% vote to return the most beloved feature of their most popular game, Runescape. They "suspected that there was a silent majority that liked the new game better". What they failed to realize was that people played the game because they liked how the game was when they started playing, you can't change core features and pretend that it was the same game. You can add features and make things better, but you can't strip away the concept of the original game and not suffer some backlash.

For all of your information, the Runescape forums/community is/are (grammar Nazis attack!!!!!) just a bigger version of the mess that are the new AoS forums. The forum moderators are just as strict and illogical, and all of them profess a deep love for their overlords JaGex, never to disagree with them, ever. JaGex's ideal of a "fantastic" community is a dictatorship.

With that said, I have hope that the new Ace of Spades won't be pooped on by JaGex as my beloved Runescape was and still is being pooped on (evolution of combat is stupid...) . From what they have shown us the core elements of the game are still in place, that is building and shooting. But I'm afraid that may have ventured too far away from what made Ace of Spades, Ace of Spades. I guess we can only see. However, if possible, I'll stick to what I like and know for as long as possible!

that has basically been my experience with JaGex so far: take a game I love, pull down their pants, and take a dump on it. I hope it doesn't happen again :lol:
Snow
Deuce

kmaj wrote:
You wasted your time, Jagex hates criticism.
If this is true, then they're complete fools and in the wrong damn business. Who in their right minds would turn down citicism/critical feedback from their player base. I sure as hell wouldn't if I had a popular game out. "Most of you want foo feature? You bought my game, you're my bosses. You got it."

The customer is always right... not the other way around.
CooLDOG wrote:
preface: I was an avid runescape player before I found ace of spades...

This is very true. It took a 90% vote to return the most beloved feature of their most popular game, Runescape. They "suspected that there was a silent majority that liked the new game better". What they failed to realize was that people played the game because they liked how the game was when they started playing, you can't change core features and pretend that it was the same game. You can add features and make things better, but you can't strip away the concept of the original game and not suffer some backlash.

For all of your information, the Runescape forums/community is/are (grammar Nazis attack!!!!!) just a bigger version of the mess that are the new AoS forums. The forum moderators are just as strict and illogical, and all of them profess a deep love for their overlords JaGex, never to disagree with them, ever. JaGex's ideal of a "fantastic" community is a dictatorship.

With that said, I have hope that the new Ace of Spades won't be pooped on by JaGex as my beloved Runescape was and still is being pooped on (evolution of combat is stupid...) . From what they have shown us the core elements of the game are still in place, that is building and shooting. But I'm afraid that may have ventured too far away from what made Ace of Spades, Ace of Spades. I guess we can only see. However, if possible, I'll stick to what I like and know for as long as possible!

that has basically been my experience with JaGex so far: take a game I love, pull down their pants, and take a dump on it. I hope it doesn't happen again :lol:
Well, I guess it's becoming clear that Jagex are not suited for the games industry.
CooLDoG
Deuced Up

No, they have been around for a while. Their style suits people who don't have strong opinions or who like to be spoon fed. Some of their games are fun, like some of the games on www.funorb.com and what runescape used to be are really great games and they have hundreds of thousands of players. Maybe ace of spades 1.0 will be a great game. In fact I'm pretty sure that it will be a pretty good game...They are part of the gaming industry, its just that they are NOT game players themselves and thus they really have no fucking clue how to deal with the players of their games.
movd
Deuce

Lol you would think they would be trying to improve their shitty corporate image by listening to the community and not trying to bully and censor fansites. I vaguely remember them accusing the site owner of libel just because they posted public facts/links about the company LMAO. Whatever, you can't expect much from a company that sues, bans, and generally fucks over it's own playerbase.
CooLDoG
Deuced Up

clarification: In runescape the Wilderness was an open PVP (player versus player) area (about 1/3 of the free to play map and maybe 1/4 of the p2p map) where you could engage in combat with virtually everyone that was around your same combat level. They took it out of the game because people would allegedly (no evidence was ever produced) exploit the mechanics in order to do real-world item trading (something that Jagex themselves would take part in with the nw "General store" but now we are getting off topic). SO they removed PVP from the game. This was the reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_WXmS6htk
Everyone in that video is a paying member that pays $7 a month.

Here is the reaction to the latest update that they made which completely overhauled the combat system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HmmnZvWw4

The first "update" took 3 years to revert to only a semblance of what it was before. The second update is still going on...

But yeah, Jagex does what it wants. Te above is a history that everyone that has no experience with Jagex should be aware of. Not to rant or anything like that, but this is simply the experience that I have had with Jagex.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Thanks for that post CooLDOG. I've known for a long time that they appear to have no interest in listening to their player-base, but I haven't directly said such as I don't feel it would be fair without any evidence (I'm not into Runescape personally, but I've seen plenty of things like what you mentioned over the years).
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

CooLDOG wrote:
clarification: In runescape the Wilderness was an open PVP (player versus player) area (about 1/3 of the free to play map and maybe 1/4 of the p2p map) where you could engage in combat with virtually everyone that was around your same combat level. They took it out of the game because people would allegedly (no evidence was ever produced) exploit the mechanics in order to do real-world item trading (something that Jagex themselves would take part in with the nw "General store" but now we are getting off topic). SO they removed PVP from the game. This was the reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_WXmS6htk
Everyone in that video is a paying member that pays $7 a month.

Here is the reaction to the latest update that they made which completely overhauled the combat system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HmmnZvWw4

The first "update" took 3 years to revert to only a semblance of what it was before. The second update is still going on...

But yeah, Jagex does what it wants. Te above is a history that everyone that has no experience with Jagex should be aware of. Not to rant or anything like that, but this is simply the experience that I have had with Jagex.
Wow, so that is why 2006scape exist.

@snow we are not a anti-jagex site.
CooLDoG
Deuced Up

rakiru wrote:
Thanks for that post CooLDOG. I've known for a long time that they appear to have no interest in listening to their player-base, but I haven't directly said such as I don't feel it would be fair without any evidence (I'm not into Runescape personally, but I've seen plenty of things like what you mentioned over the years).
Any info that I can offer I will. I have dealt with the horrors of JaGex before, and it helps if you know what to expect so you don't have to endure what I did back in 07-08.

Yes, this is why 2006 scape exists. Now you know. I'm actually planning on playing a lot of 2006scape when it comes out.
It took a poll that crashed their website to return to the old ways (not completely though...)
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Wildern ... Trade_Vote
103 posts Page 3 of 7 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”