Oh hey, Jagex's reaction to BnS

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
103 posts Page 2 of 7 First unread post
RainbowDash
Artist
Artist

Sniped wrote:
We did remove some signatures as they were for a site that broke several of our forum rules. We did everything we could to bring the site within the forum rules and advise them on how they could become a supported fansite, however we were unable to reach a resolution with them. We are disappointed that we had to take this action and are more than happy to open communication with them again if they meet our requirements.

It would be inappropriate to go into detail or allow discussion on this matter, other than to say that anyone who has their signature removed has been made aware of it and the reasons behind it.

As discussion on this matter is a private matter between us and the website, I shall lock this thread.
-_-
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

HoboHob wrote:
AoS voxlap is up for grabs, nobody owns it anymore.
Incorrect. I wish abandonware had some legal ground; alas, it doesn't. However, continuing to play the voxlap version is I believe a case of "fair use".

Anyhow, let's have a look.
  1. Advertising of the fansite on the official forums can only be through a signature
  2. Each fansite primary focus should be the release version of Ace of Spades
  3. Fansites should not dissuade its community from taking part in other Ace of Spades communities or actively drive traffic away from the official site
  4. Each fansite's primary focus should be on supporting the overall community
  5. Fansites should not encourage illegal activity
For 1, I can agree with, it was definitely starting to become spammy. But for 2, I cannot, and That's Just Not Going To Happen. 3 is being disobeyed because Jagex's agenda is incompatible with the community. I believe 4 is what's happening now, and 5... well, you'll have to dig deep into the bowels of the cesspit known as copyright law to get any understanding of what's legal and what's not.

But yeah, the bottom line is Jagex decided on an agenda that was incompatible with us, which is why we have no idea how much they've fucked 1.0 up.
captainsnarf
Deuce

Well, It looks like the sh#t finally hit the fan. Jagex is finally taking action and there way of taking action is really pathetic.
Tank
Artist
Artist

To me it looks like they're just pulling at straws now. It's a fairly definitive fact that they simply just don't like the people that own this website and will try anything to get rid of all traces. This is a good example, Sniped just comes up with new rules on the fly that aren't even in the official rules list yet. Removal of signatures is generally done when the signature breaks a rule, such as a size limit, but he can't just expect people to know rules that clearly haven't existed, and in this case, they're solely targeting this website;
Each fansite primary focus should be the release version of Ace of Spades
I mean, this rule especially should apply to most, if not all clan sites they have listed. At a quick look through some of them, I don't see any primary focus on the 'release version' (which they should really just call 1.0 since the game has been released for over a year). They would have to remove most of the clan sites on their list if they want to implement this rule and they really ought to have publicly introduced these rules before taking action like that.

The game itself actually isn't looking too bad, a lot of it is interesting, but still confusing due to the major differences between the 'screenshots' and the actual in-game footage they have released. I can't say I'm not worried about how weapon balance and everything else will work out, but overall it's looking decent enough. The only real problem I have with the new staff is their mentality, dumping and going at length to try and cover up everything from the older community, for example, no longer giving any credit to the creator of the game and claiming it themselves, is a major issue that I still have. Doing that is obviously going to make them unpopular, they should have considered that.
HeinzVonHans
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Tank wrote:
To me it looks like they're just pulling at straws now. It's a fairly definitive fact that they simply just don't like the people that own this website and will try anything to get rid of all traces.
They were hesitant to acknowledge it at first, then when all the signatures popped up they decided it would be good to mention it like there was an actual and deep partnership.
Now that they've found a way to remove its existence from the official forums, they don't see it as a problem anymore.
Tank wrote:
The only real problem I have with the new staff is their mentality, dumping and going at length to try and cover up everything from the older community, for example, no longer giving any credit to the creator of the game and claiming it themselves, is a major issue that I still have. Doing that is obviously going to make them unpopular, they should have considered that.
Like banning former contributors and moderators, yes.
Unfortunately, they're trying to dismantle the original population that actually speaks out about their horrible wording and plans of action under the guise of "trolling" or "flaming," and have conveniently neglected to remove those who, as well as show support for the developers, actually do such things.
It's clear that, while they are getting frustrated, there is nothing that can be done to prevent all the horrible things from happening to what was once Ace of Spades; lack of suitable responses, lack of official responses, and lack of overall care for opinion - this will likely make AoS go belly-up in the future.
Their "community staff" is also not used to dealing with this community - people who are used to cursing regularly, leaving sarcastic posts, and dicking around in general - as displayed by Mehrunes' drill thread being locked with nothing but "I've locked this as it is a troll thread." from Sniped.
Gunslinger
Deuced Up

As a result, I'm going to put my BnS signature back on (I removed it before, I have no idea why) and see how fast I get banned.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

it is kind of a bummer that build and shoot cannot be advertised there, but I don't really mind. I think it would be better if both forums took a better approach and were less hostile or something, but it's not that big of a deal
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Not sure how effective their signature filtering process is as my signature is still up... unless the lack of responses that I get from them are due to both Sniped and Sally have me ignored in some way (yes I know that's unlikely, but can't a man dream?).

I either need to post more to get on their nerves, or I should make my signature a little more subtle :D. Any ideas?
Carnage
Deuce

So originally, advertising the site in our signatures was allowed. And now it's not because they think we're trying to hack the game...?
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

I don't think so... there was one thread up, but as Stack stated, he took action. The problem that I have imagined in my head is that they've been trying to come up with a valid excuse to remove our signatures for a few weeks now, but they couldn't think of any justifiable grounds... that is until they came up with the genius 'must center around 1.0' rule that I never heard mentioned before. Basically, this just means that we are really starting to annoy them over there :D.
Reki
Deuced Up

As Tank said, it's obvious that these "rules" weren't established, and created solely to deter this specific website/community. At the same time, I wouldn't be too sure what Sniped is doing is what Jagex wants him to do, or just a personal vendetta against the former community as he attempts to solidify himself as the "community manager".

In any case, not focusing on 1.0 (rule 2) is just a corollary of rule 3 (not dissuading people from the Jagex version), so they can just whip up some BS about pushing their product as a company.
King
League Participant
League Participant

I've noticed they've gone through editing numerous posts containing the phrase "buildandshoot", replacing it with "[edit]".

I guess buildandshoot is the new Voldermort; "it who shall not be named".

Wonder how long it would take to get banned using that phrase on their webiste...
Tek2
Deuced Up

Still have my epic signature.
USABxBOOYO
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

Same old Sniped, honestly this doesn't surprise me. It seems that Jagex as a whole is keen on destroying any potential aources of criticism instead of actually answering questions or dealing with problems.
Mehrunes
Deuced Up

I gave Jagex an idea that they had forgotten about implementing a long time ago.

They locked it down because it was making Sniped hot and bothered.. :3
103 posts Page 2 of 7 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”