Our latest need-to-know information.
76 posts Page 5 of 6 First unread post
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Jdrew wrote:
I like gameplay not graphics
Why not both? Green_Happy1

I would almost be happy with the original AOS (.76 or .75) in 1920*1080. Always annoyed me that I couldn't go 16:9 full screen.
DarksideXD
Deuce

Great :)
Sennar
League Participant
League Participant

Spoiler:
longbyte1 wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Idk whether it's possible to improve the software renderer more. It's just some quick and dirty renderer which yvt might take out some day. It wasn't intended to change anything, and it's nothing compared with Voxlap which is times faster and is capable of more.
I wouldn't rely too much on openspades as the next new thing. It really feels more like CoD than AoS. Modding and graphics might be great, but it doesn't matter if the game behind all that is a big piece of shit. yvt neither could fix the overpowered SMG, nor solve the MLG problem.
This is exactly why we cannot make OpenSpades the standard client. (Yes, I just contradicted myself. My prior post just showed examples of the types of ways we could reform BnS.) People at first liked OS because it looked a lot like Battlefield and was perfectly compatible with the old client. But this "alternate client" is not the reason why people liked AoS. People liked it because "your grandmother’s rig could run this game" and because it looked retro. You don't have the same feel with OS. (Also, OS is AoS without the A, so it's not complete.)

I think we should follow up with Powerthirst, but let's not make the same mistakes that GreaseMonkey did. 0.77 should be made by US, and all it should be is a recode of Ben's 0.76 and some minor tweaks. It shouldn't include a script engine, and most parts should be written from scratch in C/C++ (perhaps taking a few parts from OpenSpades?), not ripped from the disassembly/decompilation. After that, if the codebase looks maintainable enough, then we can add a script engine (Lua?) which would allow the game to be modded directly from the server.

Many of us are coders, and even those that aren't can do more than just watch BnS burn just as Jagex's AoS shaky community is on the verge of collapsing.

Blue_Rifle
Didn't we discuss that before? I think it was something like no making new versions of AoS since Jagex owns the code and it could get us in to a lawsuit or some other bullshit.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Sennar wrote:
Spoiler:
longbyte1 wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Idk whether it's possible to improve the software renderer more. It's just some quick and dirty renderer which yvt might take out some day. It wasn't intended to change anything, and it's nothing compared with Voxlap which is times faster and is capable of more.
I wouldn't rely too much on openspades as the next new thing. It really feels more like CoD than AoS. Modding and graphics might be great, but it doesn't matter if the game behind all that is a big piece of shit. yvt neither could fix the overpowered SMG, nor solve the MLG problem.
This is exactly why we cannot make OpenSpades the standard client. (Yes, I just contradicted myself. My prior post just showed examples of the types of ways we could reform BnS.) People at first liked OS because it looked a lot like Battlefield and was perfectly compatible with the old client. But this "alternate client" is not the reason why people liked AoS. People liked it because "your grandmother’s rig could run this game" and because it looked retro. You don't have the same feel with OS. (Also, OS is AoS without the A, so it's not complete.)

I think we should follow up with Powerthirst, but let's not make the same mistakes that GreaseMonkey did. 0.77 should be made by US, and all it should be is a recode of Ben's 0.76 and some minor tweaks. It shouldn't include a script engine, and most parts should be written from scratch in C/C++ (perhaps taking a few parts from OpenSpades?), not ripped from the disassembly/decompilation. After that, if the codebase looks maintainable enough, then we can add a script engine (Lua?) which would allow the game to be modded directly from the server.

Many of us are coders, and even those that aren't can do more than just watch BnS burn just as Jagex's AoS shaky community is on the verge of collapsing.

Blue_Rifle
Didn't we discuss that before? I think it was something like no making new versions of AoS since Jagex owns the code and it could get us in to a lawsuit or some other bullshit.
Not if it's a complete recode through clean room design.
In other words, those that reverse engineer the original version directly may only describe how the program works; they can't contribute directly. The (re)coders (who have never been exposed to the original code) then read this written description and contribute the code to the code base.

It's a complicated process.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

It is a good idea for modders getting money off of it and it is good that you guys are encouraging it by giving the people badges for doing tips. The ad thing is an issue. Because people could just easily get adblock...
Bunnies500
Deuce

I too love the idea of earning money by creating mods because you are essentially creating content for users why should you not be able to earn a slight income.
Kate987
Deuce

I think this is brilliant it also motivates modders to create new game play content.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Kate987 wrote:
I think this is brilliant it also motivates modders to create new game play content.
Wow that wasn't even an honest opinion, it was from a spammer. What have these forums come to.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

absolute shit

I'm just waiting for your WWS client .-.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
absolute shit

yeah, it's gonna be a couple more months till that becomes even playable Blue_Sleeping
LeCom

longbyte1 wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
absolute shit

yeah, it's gonna be a couple more months till that becomes even playable Blue_Sleeping
There's also BattleOfSpades by ByteBit and it's almost as playable as AoS, aside from the fact that you're going to suck hard when using it. However, he had to use some BASIC for writing it, so support from other coders is something he can forget despite the fact that it's open source xd
longbyte1
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
longbyte1 wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
absolute shit

There's also BattleOfSpades by ByteBit and it's almost as playable as AoS, aside from the fact that you're going to suck hard when using it. However, he had to use some BASIC for writing it, so support from other coders is something he can forget despite the fact that it's open source xd
Yeah, I'm using that for a bit of code such as for grenades and block lines.
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

LeCom wrote:
so support from other coders is something he can forget
Thats the great fact about using such a language. No (hack-)modder will ever touch my code even if its opensource :D
LeCom

ByteBit wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Thats the great fact about using such a language. No (hack-)modder will ever touch my code even if its opensource :D
motivation to hack > motivation to contribute
longbyte1
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
ByteBit wrote:
LeCom wrote:
motivation to hack > motivation to contribute
I think the hackers got farther than us in "modding" the voxlap client.
76 posts Page 5 of 6 First unread post
Return to “Official News”