THE VOTEKICK PROBLEM

Host your own server and communicate with server operators.
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
ninjastepsky78
Deuced Up

you see if I get alot of kills in a server some annoying noob starts a votekick and says i'm hacking. Then i get banned or kicked this is srsly annoying.I think we should stop the votekick.Pls reply to this post and tell me your opinion.We should really stop votekicking
Sniper101
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

You shouldn't get banned from a server from just a votekick.
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Or maybe stop hacking.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

This is why I recommend that server owners set their votekick success rate to a minimum of 50%. It's defaulted to 35% in pysnip, but can be adjusted in config.txt:
Code: Select all
"votekick_percentage" : 50,
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

You get vk because you really hack. Don't you?
ninjastepsky78
Deuced Up

no i dont hack other ppl are also accused by players he is hacking wtf
ninjastepsky78
Deuced Up

aloha.pk ban u for a votekick
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Personally, I hate aloha votekick thresholds... 98% of the time, votekicks that should pass, fail. Votekicks are there so that players can fend for themselves in the event of a troublemaker and no admins are present. If you don't want people to vote you off, then don't piss them off... and certainly don't hack. I actually banned you from my server due to your annoying behavior on the irc and repeated instances of you hacking. I caught you cheating the other day, then you turned them off after I confronted you. The next day you denied it happened and demanded that someone 1v1 you in the irc. Then when someone finally caved, they videotaped you using first person spectate. They were convinced you were cheating, so I can't say I feel sorry for you. Though I can't personally prove you were cheating as I don't have that video, I'm plenty satisfied with leaving you banned. If you are getting votekicked off of servers, I'd assume that you deserve it. I hope you don't mind my frankness.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

a girl wrote:
98% of the time, votekicks that should pass, fail. Votekicks are there so that players can fend for themselves in the event of a troublemaker and no admins are present. If you don't want people to vote you off, then don't piss them off... and certainly don't hack.
Not sure where you got your 98% statistic from, but I've witnessed plenty of legit votekicks successfully kick troublemakers at 50% threshold. I've also witnessed way too many dishonest votekicks successfully kick innocents at 50% threshold.

In a perfect world the votekick system would serve its purpose the way you described, but the reality is it often gets successfully abused by trolls and carelessness even at 50% threshold. A threshold too much lower than that gives troublemakers too much power, which is even more true the fewer total connected players there are.

No threshold is perfect, but overall 50% seems to be a comfortable balance that, as a last resort, allows legit players to come together to successfully take care of the most troubling situations themselves when there aren't any admins around.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

I don't know what aloha is set at exactly and i don't know how accurate my 98% statistic is, but i do know that obvious hackers often survive 6-7 votekick rounds before a votekick finally goes through or an admin pops on and bans them. It's pretty infuriating having to votekick the same guy over and over, then voting yes on the votekicks that are being started during your cool down time... it shouldn't take 20 minutes to get some guy votekicked. Yes, bad votekicks happen, but i'd rather be votekicked off a server a few times by trolls rather than be pwned repeatedly by a hacker that can't be votekicked because most of the server population can't read enough english to know what is going on.

If occasionally getting vk'd off a server for 10 minutes is intolerable, then you have some addiction problems.

What might could work though is have a /y /n system that calculates the ratios of yes to no votes... but will only kick if the ratio is above a threshold and the number of votes is sufficiently high... that way people that just don't care enough to type /y (the entire enemy team) aren't assumed as no votes and people that recognize a bad votekick can lend their support to the victim by doing /n. Staying silent should be a neutral vote. It wouldn't hurt to have trusted users have a double weighted vote.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Trusted players having more weight would be a nice feature. Dynamically adjusting threshold percentage based on number of players would also be nice, maybe a range between something like 25% for a full server and 50% for less than 10 players.

aloha is set at 50%, by the way.
ninjastepsky78
Deuced Up

a girl wrote:
Personally, I hate aloha votekick thresholds... 98% of the time, votekicks that should pass, fail. Votekicks are there so that players can fend for themselves in the event of a troublemaker and no admins are present. If you don't want people to vote you off, then don't piss them off... and certainly don't hack. I actually banned you from my server due to your annoying behavior on the irc and repeated instances of you hacking. I caught you cheating the other day, then you turned them off after I confronted you. The next day you denied it happened and demanded that someone 1v1 you in the irc. Then when someone finally caved, they videotaped you using first person spectate. They were convinced you were cheating, so I can't say I feel sorry for you. Though I can't personally prove you were cheating as I don't have that video, I'm plenty satisfied with leaving you banned. If you are getting votekicked off of servers, I'd assume that you deserve it. I hope you don't mind my frankness.
THEY DID NOT GET FOOTAGE OF ME HACKING AND I'M NOT HACKING FOR FUCKS SAKE
Teeth
League Participant
League Participant

ninjastepsky78 wrote:
a girl wrote:
Please leave.
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

ninjastepsky78 wrote:
a girl wrote:
Kiwi got a vid btw Blue_Wink1
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

ninjastepsky78 wrote:
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Servers”